• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

League vs Union...

Ripper is fishing, I think...

I honestly think Rugby League is the greatest sport on Earth. I think it's a great spectacle played between some of the fittest, toughest men on the planet. It's quick, it's tough and it's exciting. There used to be a day when I LOATHED rugby union but I have grown up (I have been on here for 4 years now afterall!) and now I respect union players, fans and clubs. I can sit and watch the sport. I don't really enjoy the stodgy Guinness Premiership matches but Super 14 and Tri Nations games are great and I actively go out of my way to watch 6 Nations matches. However:

- I think the game is too stop start. Too many penalties, infringements and stoppages make it too slow for me.

- Too many kicks at goal.

- Too much of a forward battle. I really admire the strength and fight in the scrum but it's not really for me.

I appreciate union is much more tactical and intricate with a lot more rules but league is the sport for me. Quick, exciting, tough and absolutely brilliant.

(nice to see this thread is light-hearted but respectful)

Agree with SHRLFC, on all points. League is the greatest game.

The only downside on League is the internationals, can't grumble with union on the international side of things.

Jeff

- I think the game is too stop start. Too many penalties, infringements and stoppages make it too slow for me.
[/b]

But every time someone tackles someone else in League everyone stops for 10-15 seconds

i like rugby league because it is pretty much non-stop, plus the players are all fantastic athletes who play a tough game and i respect them all for that, i always admire the passing, offloading, catching and running skills of rugby league players plus the contact and tackling is relentless and fierce

i enjoy rugby union because it's also a hell of a game with lots of contact and tackling, i like the variety in gameplay that you get with the lineouts, scrums, mauls, rucks etc and i really like the more international aspect of it - the fact that the game has caught on in different regions of the world and non-English speaking countries adds a certain "je ne sais pas" to the game

Ripper is fishing, I think...

I honestly think Rugby League is the greatest sport on Earth. I think it's a great spectacle played between some of the fittest, toughest men on the planet. It's quick, it's tough and it's exciting. There used to be a day when I LOATHED rugby union but I have grown up (I have been on here for 4 years now afterall!) and now I respect union players, fans and clubs. I can sit and watch the sport. I don't really enjoy the stodgy Guinness Premiership matches but Super 14 and Tri Nations games are great and I actively go out of my way to watch 6 Nations matches. However:

- Too many kicks at goal.

- Too much of a forward battle. I really admire the strength and fight in the scrum but it's not really for me.

I appreciate union is much more tactical and intricate with a lot more rules but league is the sport for me. Quick, exciting, tough and absolutely brilliant.

(nice to see this thread is light-hearted but respectful)

[/b]

I think League players have to much fitter to play their sport than Union because even tho play stops at every tackle, they have to run up and back 10m for every single play in defence. Each player in League has to be more all round better, but in Union you have the chance to become a master of your trade.

I like to think of league players as jack of all trades but master of none. They can all run with the ball and pass and tackle, and a lot of them can kick too. But not many have truly great kicking games (Andrew Jones and Lockyer are a couple with great kicking games), none know how to scrummage.. you cant be overly tall, overly large or slow in League, but i think that detract from the game. Union has something for all types, and high skills in particular areas are highly prized.

I think Union loses support in the masses for a couple of reasons.. (at least in Australia anyway)

First of all, League is a much simpler game to watch and play. Anybody can work it out (except for the scrums). So if you dont really enjoy the sport for the little gritty things, the ****le, the sheer brilliance, League is for you. I think for this reason a lot of females prefer league, because they can work out what is going on. :p I find in league in australia, every time a ref makes a confusing call in a game, there is a call by stars past and present and coaches to change the rules of the game so everyone can go back to knowing what is going on.

Secondly, in australia league has a much higher frequency of high grade of rugby played. Watching Union, if you are only interested in your 4 domestic australian teams and then the wallabies, the amount of footy to watch as compared to league is quite low. The club level in union is quite a significant step down both in broadcast quality and quality of play, and the APC comp running this year is attempting to rectify it, but as it stands, league has at least 6 games of top grade level, broadcast very well (which is important to the people at home), played from February to October, every single year. So while nothing beats watching top grade union for me, i really enjoy watching league week in week out, and the coverage here is so good for it, its quite enjoyable to follow. There just isnt enough top grade union played for it to gain the support of the masses, and the fact that the super comp isnt on free-to-air anymore has damaged the support for union as well.

Lastly, i think at the moment in australia we have a really big lack of depth in union, and the juniors are not coming through in the numbers that we would like to see. the lack of depth at domestic level can be attributed to the fact that we have just introduced a new team with no grass roots (union is not big over in perth), and so they had to poach players from the east coast rather than put through young guys from over there. that should change with the new APC, and hopefully a greater exposure over there will create a strong rugby community in a few years. I think the signs are good that union is going to make a strong comeback in the junior ranks over here, but its gonna take a few years for this to happen. in the meantime, all the fantastic juniors are coming up in league and making it a fresh exciting game to watch. i think at the moment, there are at least 15 players that are 21 or under in the NRL that will become genuine superstars in a few years time, and thats to go with the current crop of great players. i just hope that my great game union can provide me with that type of outlook in a few years.

I think Union's problem here is that it has to compete with AFL and league for its players. Outside of NSW and QLD, AFL is the premier footy code, and everyone wants to play that first and foremost. In NSW and QLD, the hard thing for Union to keep their juniors is that League has a better pay base. what i mean is that you can be playing a very low level of league, but still be paid to do so, whereas in Union you really need to be playing at the Waratahs/Brumbies/Reds/Force to be getting any sort of decent pay. Sure the top guys in Union get a significant amount more than a league player, but the average union player gets paid much less than the average leaguie.

I used to love league until my early teens when my love of union took over. I agree that there are too many stoppages in rugby, primarily the constant resetting of scrums and too many penalties, but many of the issues could be addressed after the world cup depending what happens with the new rules in trial.

Too much of a forward battle

I like the fact that union has much more clarity between backs and forwards. League you have a guy like craig wing playing hooker.

I appreciate union is much more tactical and intricate

Which is why I love union and aren't all that interested in league. League to me is just too repetitive, union there is just so much depth and variety.

League isn't really faster, it's just more consistent. You constantly go back and forth while in union the play might not go anywhere for 5 minutes, but there is still plenty of pace.

Too many kicks at goal

One thing the leaguies got right was the 1pt drop goal and 2pts for the penalty. Kicking should be discouraged, at least if the new laws come in there will be significantly less penalties = less kicks at goal.

admire the passing, offloading, catching and running skills of rugby league players plus the contact and tackling is relentless and fierce

I'm a bit mixed about that. Great passing/offloading, and the great modern defence of union was heavily influenced by league, but I don't really agree about the intensity. League players will often hit up at maybe 75%. This might be for fitness reasons but it's just great to see players always giving it their all like they do in union.

I do respect the athleticism and skill of league players, I just think they're playing the wrong game. I guess I think of union as chess and league as checkers. And just imagine how much better aussie union depth would be without league ;)

Like both sports. Union due to the factor of freedom and internationals. League due to the sheer intensity and State of Origin. Been more of a leaguie recently since the WRU took my Bridgend RFC out of the top tier of Welsh rugby by bringing in 'regions' (In reality Cardiff, Llanelli, Newport and a mix of the rest), and then going on to scrap the Celtic Warriors. Therefore I've been following the Celtic Crusaders as at least they have the chance to play in the pinnacle of their sport :)

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001023,00.html

Not sure if this is just a massive g-up by the Daily Telegraph, it wouldnt be the first. But if he actually said that... WHAT AN IDIOT!!

So i guess this can fuel the debate a bit more.. and look at the comments left on the story. i guess it gives a good example to anyone not from NSW and QLD of exactly how heated the League vs Union debate is....

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001023,00.html

Not sure if this is just a massive g-up by the Daily Telegraph, it wouldnt be the first. But if he actually said that... WHAT AN IDIOT!!

So i guess this can fuel the debate a bit more.. and look at the comments left on the story. i guess it gives a good example to anyone not from NSW and QLD of exactly how heated the League vs Union debate is.... [/b]

If he's an Idiot as you say I can understand why it was difficult for him follow the Union rules of the game which are definitively more complicated than in League.

Here is a way of sorting any argument

In a fight lol

I reckon Rugby league players are tougher and fitter as in stamina not looks lmao

than rugby union guys ...

Iv'e played both and have to say it's freaking hard running then getting tackled then doing it all again....

In Italy we do not have League, but I like to watch it on tv. I admire the physical toughness of players, and the high intensity of the game.

Anyway, I prefer Union, mainly because of the kicking game, the mosto tactical gameplay, the physical differences in roles and, of course, the international test matches and the RWC.

I must admit, however, that Union benefitted from "studying" League: think of the the defence patterns or the training methods... And some League players did really well in Union.

Ciao
Francesco

In terms of the off-the-field battle between League and Union..

So im thinking that John O'Neill is having a massive effect on the League vs Union battle over here in australia all ready, only a month or so back into his post as the CEO of ARU. So far this year the media have really been reporting about how League is so good, and all the young talent, and all that, and all the news about Union was how it was becoming boring, and we needed a lot of changes, and we were in all sorts of strife. But since O'Neill has come back he has really controlled the media, and got a lot of positive influence for Union.

Since he's been back on board there has been only reporting about League on how the salary cap is ruining the game, and how they are losing players to english super league and union, and how the quality of the players is diminishing. whereas in the past month we have had a lot of positive reporting of the wallabies, and a lot of focus back on how they are playing, rather than the crap stuff they were reporting before. and i dont think that it is any coincidence that it has come since he started back on as CEO.

he also got $25 mill in federal govt funding to start a rugby academy in brisbane! how good!

Not to mention that he now has Andrew Johns thinking about becoming the Kicking and tactical coach for the wallabies, even though he is still contracted to league for both tv and as a player (Knights).

John O'Neill, really bringing the fight back for Union, what a legend.

I just watched the State of the Origin Final (or 3 or whatever)...amazing match!
The 40/20 rule (I htink that's right) is pretty cool...

Yeah SOO 3 was the best match of the series! Best SOO game in a while really... very brutal in parts, some of the hits were pure poetry hahahaha. Yeah, 40-20 is a very positive rule for the game is it adds an extra dimension to tactical kicking and makes teams weary of when to drop their wingers back, which can also create opportunities out wide if they get too nervous about it.

I play both games.
I love both games.
I sway more towards union, however I can't say a word ill of league.

Living in Perth the real enemy for me is AFL, I used to like League as a kid but basically once the Western Reds came and went my interest declined, it just didn't seem interesting for me anymore. I still like the NRL Footy Show though :)

I'm a union man and always have been. My dad never really showed me the likes of league and i never really had the interest to get into the other code. But that was until last May when the Millenium Magic weekend happened and i saw 6 RL games in 2 days. It was awesome to watch it live. I mean, when the game was dull it was very dull (but then again Union can feel like it's rotting your brains (see a Magners League match between Dragons and Connacht on a soaking wet day :wall: )) but a majority of the time it was very entertaining to watch and the games just seemed to fly by.
I now watch 1 live League game a week (they're all on sky and i dont have access to it), but always watch the weekly round up of Boots'n'All on line.
It is without a doubt my 2nd favourite sport out there.
And what i love more is the fact that i'm still learning even the most basic of rules and to see how much it differs from union in some cases really intrigues me.

Latest posts