• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

League vs Union...

Well Rugby is Pass, Pass, tackle is it not :bleh!:

but hey each to their own.
[/b]
It is the tactics and ingenuity that makes Union great, not to mention tries can be scored from the back of scrums, pushover scrums, lineouts, open play, rolling mauls, any combination of the previous methods, probably missing some as well. And if a team is under a spot of bother and can't make a line break they don't just smash against the defense and wait for them to screw up or attempt a chip kick, refer to the above things. It is a game of versatility and smarts.

I enjoy Union more. I believe that League is a lot more predictable than Union. I also like the open play, lineouts, set pieces etc.

Union and League are equal in my mind, although there are pros and cons for both, i feel that both games have alot to offer for players and spectators. Rugby League is very good to watch because it is tight in defense because players are continuously being replaced thus reducing fatigue and alot of the training the players do involves tackling and keeping a solid line, this creates a necessity for extremely intricate set plays involving accuracy, speed, quick thinking, and power at times to crack the opposition and cross for a four pointer.
Rugby Union is good to Watch because the forwards actually have a duty to protect the ball, so there arn't too many stragglers across the line like in league, this creates open running rugby for the backs which can make for some spectacular tries and try savers. Rugby Union also has proper scrums and line outs, the only reason League eliminated them was to create a faster pace, not because they were bad. Also in Union a weaker team can score points through penalties and drop goals.
I wish Rugby league went back to the drop kick kick off.

Also in Union a weaker team can score points through penalties and drop goals. [/b]

What is the equivelent in League. You do need that sort of outlet in a game I think no-one likes foregone conclusions.

It's a double edged sword however...is it good that an inferior team can employ tactics to frustrate a stronger more skilled opposition. It makes the sport more interesting but it's not really a good thing in terms of the spectacle. In any sport there is nothing worse than seeing a cynical attempt to stop the opposition playing....but then again a team should just be good enough to get past that.

Union is just Kick, Kick, Lineout, Knock-on, Scrum, Forward pass, Kick etc. [/b]

but league has a lot less to it...it's the complexity that makes Union such a fascinating game.

<div class='quotemain'>
also to end this post I would like to bring up commentary. the bias in league commentary especially in the nrl of the commentators of the team they support is just shocking. wayne pearce can not say a good thing about the warriors to save himself. even when they play well he will always has a negative comment against them for some reason. phil gould is pretty bad too he will praise any nsw player that scores a try even if it wasn't that special. I think the league commentators often get caught up in the stats too much too during the commetry too when they should be telling me about the game. sure some of the stuff happens in union too but I think they generally don't bring out the bias in which team they support that often (in super 14 etc) and tend to just commentate the game a bit better. so yeah for me it's union over league but I am not opposed to watching league and do enjoy a good game of it. [/b]

Well while i agree with the first part of ur post about the expansiveness of Union, i'd have to disagree with you on the commentary part.. i think they are on about par.. and i think that in terms of bias, Phil Gould is a one-eyed frog-headed knobjockey, but other than that league is generally pretty good for bias.. Sterlo, Rabs and Vossy are some of the most down the line commentators you will ever hear. The international Union commentary is littered with bias, and from a 3N point of view, listening to Saffa or NZ commentators as opposed to Aussie ones causes you to see the game form a whole different persepctive, and not always in a good way.

[/b][/quote]

I didn't mention anything about internationals at all. you failed to read my post and have decided to add that in. everyone knows eddie and steveo are the worst when it comes to bias at international level in either code.rabs is defintely an eels supporter and comes through very clearly in his commentary. vossy is the hard one to get a read on who he supports and he basically has no bias at all in his commentary. union guys at club level (super 14) defintely do a better job of not displaying the bias for the team they support in their commentary.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
also to end this post I would like to bring up commentary. the bias in league commentary especially in the nrl of the commentators of the team they support is just shocking. wayne pearce can not say a good thing about the warriors to save himself. even when they play well he will always has a negative comment against them for some reason. phil gould is pretty bad too he will praise any nsw player that scores a try even if it wasn't that special. I think the league commentators often get caught up in the stats too much too during the commetry too when they should be telling me about the game. sure some of the stuff happens in union too but I think they generally don't bring out the bias in which team they support that often (in super 14 etc) and tend to just commentate the game a bit better. so yeah for me it's union over league but I am not opposed to watching league and do enjoy a good game of it. [/b]

Well while i agree with the first part of ur post about the expansiveness of Union, i'd have to disagree with you on the commentary part.. i think they are on about par.. and i think that in terms of bias, Phil Gould is a one-eyed frog-headed knobjockey, but other than that league is generally pretty good for bias.. Sterlo, Rabs and Vossy are some of the most down the line commentators you will ever hear. The international Union commentary is littered with bias, and from a 3N point of view, listening to Saffa or NZ commentators as opposed to Aussie ones causes you to see the game form a whole different persepctive, and not always in a good way.

[/b][/quote]

I didn't mention anything about internationals at all. you failed to read my post and have decided to add that in. everyone knows eddie and steveo are the worst when it comes to bias at international level in either code.rabs is defintely an eels supporter and comes through very clearly in his commentary. vossy is the hard one to get a read on who he supports and he basically has no bias at all in his commentary. union guys at club level (super 14) defintely do a better job of not displaying the bias for the team they support in their commentary.

[/b][/quote]

Well i dont hear too much of the Kiwi commentary on Super 14, so i cant really comment on that, but.. most of the games i get to see are the Aussie games, and are usually commentated by the Fox Sports team...

So i got two names for you.. Phil Kearns and Greg Martin...

Watching a Tahs game, listening to Kearnsy you would think that they are the best team in the world behind the Wallabies.. Listening to Marto, you would believe that the Reds have won every Super ***le that was ever contested..

I'd love to smash Phil Gould's head in. [/b]

Phil Gould after Dallas Johnson was knocked out in Origin 3...

"There is no place for the low tackle in Rugby League.. It should be big men, chest to chest.."

What a deadset ******..

Union is just Kick, Kick, Lineout, Knock-on, Scrum, Forward pass, Kick etc. [/b]

Tackle, Hump the Ground, Tackle, Hump the Ground, Tackle, Hump the Ground, Tackle, Hump the Ground, Bomb.

Welcome to Rugby League.

<div class='quotemain'> Union is just Kick, Kick, Lineout, Knock-on, Scrum, Forward pass, Kick etc. [/b]

Tackle, Hump the Ground, Tackle, Hump the Ground, Tackle, Hump the Ground, Tackle, Hump the Ground, Bomb.

Welcome to Rugby League.

[/b][/quote]

A.K.A. the Great Man, Michael Hancock... the best ground humper there ever was...

Well i dont hear too much of the Kiwi commentary on Super 14, so i cant really comment on that, but.. most of the games i get to see are the Aussie games, and are usually commentated by the Fox Sports team...

So i got two names for you.. Phil Kearns and Greg Martin...

Watching a Tahs game, listening to Kearnsy you would think that they are the best team in the world behind the Wallabies.. Listening to Marto, you would believe that the Reds have won every Super ***le that was ever contested..
[/b]
Kiwi commentary is good, they actually talk about BOTH teams, Aussie commentating is generally pretty crap. Kearnsy is a funny guy but I think he has a middle range Waratah bias, not crazy huge but still there, as for Greg Martin, he is just terrible, biased as anything, he should be taken out and shot, I don't want to hear about his opinions about how great the Reds are....

Often I will mute the Aussie commentary and put on the radio commentary, something that is not so grating to the ears...but I suppose that's what you get from the Eastern States :D Me want some WA commentators!

Union fan here. I just love the set pieces of Union too much, and the kicking game.

<div class='quotemain'> Union is just Kick, Kick, Lineout, Knock-on, Scrum, Forward pass, Kick etc. [/b]

Welcome to Rugby League.

[/b][/quote]

Lol it was the exact phrasing i wanted to use, but instead of "hump the ground" I wanted to use "fish dance".

League is fun and all, but I like Union much more. League is very one demensional and doesn't seem to be a "complete" game to me. I like sports with depth.

They both have there merits, physically wise League is much tougher than union

They both have there merits, physically wise League is much tougher than union [/b]
I wouldn't say league is much tougher. The tackles are often more confrontational and therefore are tougher, but I wouldn't say much tougher, perhaps slightly tougher or a bit more tougher.

They both have there merits, physically wise League is much tougher than union [/b]

Are u serious!! League tougher than union in a physical sense :rolleyes:

I have played both and i have found that as a forward, although there is not as much front on tackling as there is in league, union is still tougher in every ruck and maul. It gets bloody physical

<div class='quotemain'> They both have there merits, physically wise League is much tougher than union [/b]

Are u serious!! League tougher than union in a physical sense :rolleyes:

I have played both and i have found that as a forward, although there is not as much front on tackling as there is in league, union is still tougher in every ruck and maul. It gets bloody physical
[/b][/quote]
Baz is probably one of those people who can't play union properly, therefore can't experince the full extent of a game in the rucks and mauls. I'm not bagging Baz out...union isn't for everybody.

Latest posts