• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leave Jonah Lomu Alone

G

Gavin

After the New Zealand Herald wrote an artical on Jonah Lomu saying that his dream of playing in the 2007 World Cup in France is over, they have written another artical that Jonah demanded $500,000 to re-sign with the New Zealand Rugby Union..
I myself am an avid Lomu fan and when he played in Twickeham last June, which I was actually at, I was 100% sure that he could get back into the All Blacks for the World Cup season.. From Twickeham he damaged his shoulder which meant that he could not play for North Harbour and gain needed rugby time, then to Cardiff Blues were after a seven month contract he broke his ankle which set him back even further and meant he could not get even more game time in New Zealand.. In one of his first games back in New Zealand he twisted his ankle playing for his North Harbour club side, which put him out for a few weeks.. This guy has went though hell, many people would have given up but he did not..
Since he started playing for the All Blacks in 1994 he has had a few injuries..

1 - He had to take a year out of rugby in the 1997-1998 season due to the drugs that the doctors were given him, after they found out that he has a disasterious kidney problem..

2 - He played in his final match for New Zealand, against Wales, with a twisted intestine..

3 - Suffered a painful few years between 2003 until 2005, before having a kidney transplant.. During this time he was near enough paralysed, which meant that at some stages during the treatment he could not walk properly, or even at all..

4 - Damaged his shoulder playing in his first game back from injury..

5 - Broke his ankle during playing with Cardiff Blues..

6 - Twisted his ankle in one of his first games back in New Zealand (not to serious I know but still and injury)..

Whatever people say he has bounced back.. He bounced back from being the youngest even former All Black in 1994 after being dropped by the management team after the 2-0 series lose to the French.. He concentrated more on sevens rugby and stuned the world during the sevens series in Japan, then went on the destroying the world of rugby in the 1995 Rugby World Cup in South Africa, this still at only 19 years old.. This period of his life, namely 1994 to 1996, shaped his life for the better.. He established himself of one of, if not the most, destrustive wingers in World Rugby since the start of time.. He has had his ups and downs in rugby, more ups than downs, but people still give him stick, more so after he started his comeback..

I truely believe that these so called "journalists" are just staring the ****, and that they should crawl back under the rock they came from.. Whatever people say he will be rememberedhrough-out history as the leading top try scorer in the Rugby World Cup to date, and as a man who loved his game, his country and never gave up, even when the times were hard..

This man is a credit to the human race.. He has given so much to the world yet people wont let him be..

I say, so what if Jonah won't get back into the All Blacks (I really hope that he does).. So what if he does not get a Super 14 contract (I really hope that he does).. He is an incredible player and an incredible person who always wore his emotions on his shirt and never gave up..

"I have been able to come back to the game I love. I dared to dream. Who can criticise me for that?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/5396058.stm "Jonah admits World Cup dream over"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.c...jectid=10403772 "Jonah reluctant to let dream die"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.c...jectid=10403773 "Lomu "demands" dismissed as absolute rubbish"

"I have been able to come back to the game I love. I dared to dream. Who can criticise me for that?"

I agree, Lomu's story though has been overblown just to raise **** and sell articles.

"I have been able to come back to the game I love. I dared to dream. Who can criticise me for that?"[/b]
That statement really sums it all up. He has worked harder than anyone I can imagine has to come back to be the elite of the elite in Rugby. Seriously...if anything the press should be encouraging him and touting his story as a great human interest piece. He's an inspiration to everyone (or should be).
<div align="center">
lomu11numerokin.jpg
</div>

Even though hes conceeded his dream, i still think he has a fair bit to offer rugby union, not as a player though but as some sort of rugby ambassador travelling the world and promoting the game or sumthin. NZRU or IRB could employ him to some capacity where they can fully utilise his presence as one of the most recognized faces in world rugby.

He won't play Number 8 for New Zealand, even though he played that position for New Zealand's Schools against England.. I am sure that he would be a good Number 8, but none of the All Black selectors have seem him play there since John Hart back in 1993 - 95..

So, you're saying there's no chance he'll get his form back up to All Black standards?

people are still scared of him
one game i watched he had 2 men marking him constantly

is this defo it then for jonah,

i thought the npc werent over

and cant he get picked in the draft or has tht happend?

[/b]

it was last year with the cardiff blues

i forgot to say

[/b]

no the AirNZcup aint over yet...well almost as we enter the knockout stages, and yes he can be picked in the draft, but none of the super14 coaches have expressed any interest in him, plus he hasnt played enough in the AirNZcup, so that makes it hard if he aint playin, and this is probably the reason why hes conceeded now.

surely though, a team like the highlanders...no offence, would jump at something so commercially viable,

is lomu playing this weekend, and who have the harbour got?

surely though, a team like the highlanders...no offence, would jump at something so commercially viable,

is lomu playing this weekend, and who have the harbour got?
[/b]

yeah the highlanders are the ones that usually make the most of the draft system, who knows...anything could happen between now and then, injuries, a players sudden fallout with the coach i dunno lol...In my opinion lomu needs a miracle just as big as big as englands world cup campaign lol...As for him playing this week, i think hes available to be selected as he was dropped to the B team last weekend, but with waqaseduadua and wulf playing some good rugby on the wings at the mo, be hard for jonah.
Harbour vs Otago

I still find it mindblowing that he can't get a Super 14 contract, if he's 100% fit which it sounds like he is. He's still going to be better than most wings out there, surely? And I'm sure that a guy of his calibre would be honest with himself, and wouldn't put himself out there if he felt he's not good enough still?

Man, one of the South African sides should sign him for next years tournament. It would create a HUGE buzz and would fill the stadiums. Commercially alone it would be a great signing.
The man is a legend though, and deserves to be respected for what he has done up until now. Lets not forget that he was ILL and is trying to make a comeback. Give him a break.

we should start a petition that says :" Lomu for 8man", for lomu to be tried out at the loose forward position, or even blindside flank. lomu said before that he spent his formatiive and early rugby years as a loose forward. heck if andy farrell can do it, so can lomu!

LOMU FOR 8-man

1) Gabriel Benjamin

we should start a petition that says :" Lomu for 8man", for lomu to be tried out at the loose forward position, or even blindside flank. lomu said before that he spent his formatiive and early rugby years as a loose forward. heck if andy farrell can do it, so can lomu!

LOMU FOR 8-man

1) Gabriel Benjamin
[/b]
Yeah...count me in.

I still find it mindblowing that he can't get a Super 14 contract, if he's 100% fit which it sounds like he is. He's still going to be better than most wings out there, surely? And I'm sure that a guy of his calibre would be honest with himself, and wouldn't put himself out there if he felt he's not good enough still?

Man, one of the South African sides should sign him for next years tournament. It would create a HUGE buzz and would fill the stadiums. Commercially alone it would be a great signing.
The man is a legend though, and deserves to be respected for what he has done up until now. Lets not forget that he was ILL and is trying to make a comeback. Give him a break.
[/b]

Hmmm, well from AirNZcup form, jonah is not the same player he was, hes more a shadow of his former self. Unfortunate for sure, we all wanted him to succeed...but you cant hide the fact that hes just not good enough, theres so much talent in NZ running around especially in this competition and with the depth henry has built, so jonah knew his task and what he had to do to get to where he wanted...In saying that, his presence is invaluable yes, and can still be used in a more effective way as i said in my earlier post, he has accomplished what most pro sportsmen couldnt by coming back from this illness and playing first class rugby again, so mad respects to jonah.

I love Jonah!!..and I feel so sorry for him, with all his injuries he has had, if they didnt occur he would have been a real threat to the likes of Joe Rokocoko, Sitiveni Sitivatu etc.

I miss the good old days of Jonah..when he just ran over people. :(

He is so cool. :cheers:

Lomu should try a South African S14 side!!!!!

What has the worst South African S14 team have to lose? If anything it might get more people coming to their games...as well as other off feild interests building...

...then there is the chance that....he might actually be good! What a bonus that would be.....surely he is better than some wingers in South africa at the moment who are simply fast but do not know anything else...

Imagine if he started showing up some of the kiwi wingers!

Yep...if I were Lomu I would be pressing to get into ANY S14 team....even the Force!

Latest posts