• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leicester Tigers v Llanelli Scarlets - HEC Semi Final

I find this all amusing because here at Saracens, we haven't really experienced this strange thing called "European Club Rugby". So that means we can stand at the sidelines and laugh when sides who we don't like (i.e. Saints, Wasps, Tigers, Dragons, Scarlets, Leinster, etc) fail :lol: [/b]

What you on about we are playing European Rugby there tomorrow...

is it me, or has all interest in the comp has gone from the French, Welsh, Scots, Italians and Irish??

and yes I know they are all out of the tournament.. but you should still have some interest in the the tournament...

<div class='quotemain'> Leicester aren't as muscle bound as they used to be and can create real movement out wide. [/b]

Do you ever watch Leicester? The only time the ball ever gets wide for them is if Tuliagi crash bangs through the middle and spins it to Varndell with 10m to go, hardly what I call wide play.

Leicester always have been and always be an up-yer-jumper team.
[/b][/quote]
I like the mixture they have. And Hipkiss and Murphy see plenty of the ball - not just Varndell and Tuilagi.

is it me, or has all interest in the comp has gone from the French, Welsh, Scots, Italians and Irish??

and yes I know they are all out of the tournament.. but you should still have some interest in the the tournament...
[/b]
Wot? Munster are seething about this English takeover of what used to be a respectable competition. I think you just want outsiders to come in and praise this mighty achievement that is English rugby. Never.

What you on about we are playing European Rugby there tomorrow...
[/b]

Pfft, yeah right, "European Rugby" in name only. The last few finals have all been between English clubs! If the ECC is "European Rugby" then France are sending "their strongest side to New Zealand" (i.e. European Rugby my arse).

The REAL "European Rugby" is in the HEC and we haven't experienced that for donkeys years, hence why we can quite happily crow from the sidelines.

EDIT: To be fair, the Welsh and Irish clubs are kicking themselves over this year...but the Italians have a right to lose interest when really all they're there for is to be paid to be the whipping boys for the likes of Munster and Leicester!

Of course us English want praise, we are having a full English Final of the European Cup which we wont be competing in next season...

god or mighty english rugby is BORING!!

even when something goes right and the crowd cheer, it sounds weired, it sounds more like a parlimentarly celebration with blair and his cronies flapping bits of paper than a rugby match!!

I HATE YOU!!
[/b]

Smug and gloating when you win - bitter and twisted (usual state) when you lose. Does the actual game itself ever interest you, or just the hope that anything Welsh wins? If anything is BORING, it's reading your half-baked posts. Sulking in a corner now, are we?

So we are heading to an All English Final, Something that has never happend in this Tournament before, and it just so happens to be being held at the home of English Rugby Twickenham.

I must admit the prospect does sound like a boring affair, but for once leicester I believe its been deserved by the teams that will get their...

Scarlets did play well, but they never reached their top level, I feel, I thought they played better Rugby against Munster than they did against Leicester, but all in all it was a close affair, and it was fought with true passion

your right, scarlets didnt deserve to win, they were no where near there best, the better side did win!!

but for once i genuinely am not excited about the hec final, cos no offence english rugby is very very very tedious on the eye!!

I would probably agree...

Welsh and Irish Rugby is far more free flowing and played out the hands more than what the English Game, however some of the sides are starting to go that way more, but it doesn't work in the English game always...

Even Bath have started to try and play with a more fluid backline but with a very strong Forward pack, but it doesn't work to the same effiency as it does in Wales and Ireland

Fingers crossed for an all East Midlands final. Us boys in the heart of the country will show you all how derby matches are done.

Que Saints getting a drubbing...

That would be one of hell of final, especially if you have gone down to NL1, what a way to go out on the season, but we will have to wait and see what happens...

<div class='quotemain'>
god or mighty english rugby is BORING!!

even when something goes right and the crowd cheer, it sounds weired, it sounds more like a parlimentarly celebration with blair and his cronies flapping bits of paper than a rugby match!!

I HATE YOU!!
[/b]
Smug and gloating when you win - bitter and twisted (usual state) when you lose. Does the actual game itself ever interest you, or just the hope that anything Welsh wins? If anything is BORING, it's reading your half-baked posts. Sulking in a corner now, are we? [/b][/quote]
I shouldn't mind him too much, when a Welsh side doesn't win he normally gets drunk and makes some sort of racist rant. Then gets banned for a month next time he does.

Fingers crossed for an all East Midlands final. Us boys in the heart of the country will show you all how derby matches are done.

Que Saints getting a drubbing... [/b]

Had to open your gob, didn't you... <_<

your right, scarlets didnt deserve to win, they were no where near there best, the better side did win!!

but for once i genuinely am not excited about the hec final, cos no offence english rugby is very very very tedious on the eye!!
[/b]

277.gif

JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE !!!!!!!!!!!!11111

I would probably agree...

Welsh and Irish Rugby is far more free flowing and played out the hands more than what the English Game, however some of the sides are starting to go that way more, but it doesn't work in the English game always...

Even Bath have started to try and play with a more fluid backline but with a very strong Forward pack, but it doesn't work to the same effiency as it does in Wales and Ireland
[/b]

This argument always reminds me, incongruously to some perhaps, of one of the Indiana Jones movies in which a Persian swordsman steps in front of Indy, and performs some marvellously fluid movements with his sword, grimacing at Indy through his beard, his sword twirling and sparkling as he deftly works out like the expert he is.

Indy then takes out his gun and shoots him. Simple answer, problem solved.

For the Persian swordsman, read Llanelli. for Indian Jones and his gun, read Leicester.

What I guess should happen is that all these **** poor England club teams, if not to say England itself, ought to stand back and watch the circus acrobat teams come out. They can run in circles, add a bit of Riverdance high speed footwork, pass the ball to each other as they run around doing 100m sprint speeds, perform a multitude of baseball passing skills, roll around biting the grass, growl like celtic warriors and tackle the corner flag for good measure - then get hit by some heavy forwards, have the ball turned over, and watch as the tank moves across the line and scores a try against them.

Leicester, and Goode, played some good rugby. Llanelli played some good rugby. However, the amount of good rugby played by Llanelli was nullified by the amount played by Leicester.

The old, old, rule of having dominant forwards to provide good ball for the backs.

As one poster used to famously sign off with.......

end of.

As much as i hate to say it Leciester deserved to win.

Personally, i would never condone the style of play that Triniquint proposes. I would hate to be a supporter of the team that just plays boring rugby to get the results.
It might sound like a Welsh thing, and i think it's a part ofof psychee, but I would rather support a team that plays entertainingg rugby and doens't quite make it all the way, than support a team that plays forward oriented rugby and wins trophies.
Becuase to me, as a supporter, as much as i would dearly love to see my team win silverwear, at the end of the day they are there to entertain me.

I'm not here to collect some sort of moral high ground as my team rakes in the silverwear.
I'm here to have a good time, and i am absolutely incapable of enjoying myself if the game is all about the slow, hit-em-hard drive-em-back forwards attitude.

So as idiotic as this may sound you can take the role of Indiana Jones.
Nobody expects their team to win all the time, but sometimes the persian swordsman comes through flawlessly and makes a legend out of their efforts ala Wales 6 nations Grand Slam '05.

It's very easy to write off Leicester as being boring, but with players like Varndell, Hipkiss, Murphy, Moody, Jennings and Gibson it's a bit of a short sighted view. A bit like saying Llanlli have a rubbish pack, which as Munster and Toulouse will attest is untrue.

THey have the players with great talent in the backs, and i do not concede that they play an immensely boring game.
However, the backs are used in a very structured disciplined manner. That's not a bad thing because it plays to the strength. But from what i see, Leicester lack that sense of creativity in the backs. Everything stems from Numbers 1 - 10 and it's an area heavily conentrated on (As it should) but if reliant on the backs there doesn't seem to be much flair.

I get the feeling that if the backs were given a bit more freedom, then they could cause so much damage, rather than wait for the forwards to run out of options before receiving the ball.

Good game, Leicester deserved the victory. I would of like to seen Jones copy Good with those chip kicks. I felt that the Scarlets ran it too much. Against Munster, they varied they're game. Alot of credit to Leicester, they where immense at the break down. They had alot of turnovers & they're defense was class.

Pity, I wanted Scarlets to win. Ah well, they weren't the better team on the day.

Did Stuart Barnes really use the word 'manichean' in his match commentary? He was making a point about how the Scarlets were supposed to be full of running and invention, Leicester full of grunt and grind. I heard it, but I can't believe it. Would Dowy Morris have understood?

Latest posts