• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster v Queensland Reds

munster2010

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Now that the Reds have been crowned kings of the southern hemisphere and Leinster kings of the northern hemisphere, who would win in a match between the two of them?

We've always played well against the Aussies so i reckon it'd be close. The Reds wouldn't win easily lol.

It would be a crackin match, i think it would be very tight. I'd nearly give it to leinster but its a hard one to call.

Leinsters pack would carve the Reds apart. Even with Healey.

No ball for the Reds backs - Game over.

Crusaders pack didn't exactly make it easy for Reds today - munching their scrum, and messing up most of their rucks

Forwards:

Scrum: The Reds don't have the strongest front row, as one could see against the Crusaders where the scrum was looking dodgy, although Leinster's scrum wouldn't carnage them like Northampton, Toulouse or Toulon would, or when the exact current Reds front row against England last summer they received brutal hammering, so it wouldn't be game changing but I think the scrum would win Leinster 6 points.
Verdict:
Leinster (7/10)
Reds (3/10)

Lineout: A very impressive feature of the Reds play, Saia Faingaa despite his weakness in the scrum is an accurate thrower in the lineout, and Horwill who is probably a bit underrated was part of the Reds lineout that disturbed 50% of Crusaders lineout ball. Leinster lineout isn't bad either however but I think Toner is still a project at this level and thus I give the lineout to the Reds.
Verdict: Reds
Leinster (6/10)
Reds (9/10)

Back row: I think O'Brien is a little bit overrated at the moment, and Higginbotham pretty much cancels him out, but the difference between back rows is Jamie Heaslip and the fact that the Leinster back row is very disciplined and don't give away too many pointless penalties.
Verdict: Leinster
Leinster (9/10)
Reds (8/10)

Half backs: Will Genia and Quade Cooper were instrumental to the Reds revival and ignite the team, although Johnny Sexton had his own moment of inspirational glory in the H Cup final, the Reds have more creativity and consistency here.
Verdict: Reds
Leinster (8/10)
Reds (9/10)

Centres: Gordon D'Arcy is rubbish these days and could be a weak link, but despite how Mike Harris did well when he was fit and Anthony Faingaa is a tackling machine, neither compare to the best outside centre of the professional era, in BOD.
Leinster (8/10)
Reds (7/10)

Back three: This is very close the Reds wingers have pure finishing ability and Luke Fitzgerald who's been on poor form over the past season could be a weak link, but with Nacewa and Kearney they are immense, but as one member of this forum described said about Nacewa, if Carlsberg did rugby players..., and they're right as anybody who watched his performances for Leinster and the Barbarians this season would agree, so with Nacewa, Leinster just shade it.
Leinster (9/10)
Reds (9/10)

Subs: Compared to most of the matches on the pitch which are tight this is relatively comfortable for Leinster, Heinke van der Merwe is a better scrummager than Healy and would give the Reds no rest at scrum time Cronin and McLaughlin are useful off the bench as well.
Leinster (8/10)
Reds (7/10)
My prediction:
Suncorp Stadium: Reds 16-12 Leinster
Aviva Stadium: Leinster 34-25 Reds

Winners: Leinster

Last edited:
Thing is though Duck you've put it as Leinster been a team next season and well Kearney hasn't been great at 15 for season, same can be said for Fitzgearld and well Nacewa has been outstanding in a 15 jersey not 14.
The imports might be total flops and well I think Leinster fans will agree if Toner is the man to replace Hines this effects Leinster's pack in a big way. Hines was the guy who put alot of physicality in that pack and well Toner is not in the same class so Leinster's pack will miss him.

What about the new SA lock though he was there to replace Hines.

Leinster would win it. If the Reds had a full deck to choose from and the chance to sign 5 or 6 foreigners then that would be a different story.

When Ireland play Australia during the world cup Leinster will make up more of the Irish team. I'd say the Aussies will have less Reds on their team.

Crusaders pack didn't exactly make it easy for Reds today - munching their scrum, and messing up most of their rucks

Their lineout lost them the game. It was brutal and it more than made up for the scrum difference.

A lot of factors would help decide game. Obviously the venue is a big factor.

I think it's better to take the teams from their respective finals. Put Jennings in for Leinster as he was on when they played their final. I think Leinster would edge what would be a brilliant match. Mainly coming down to Sexton's accuracy with the boot.

Psychic Duck what do you mean the Leinster scrum isn't on the same level as Tolouse? They are considered to at lest have held their own with them. Their reputation was damaged by a first half against one of the best scrums in the world. Then all it took was Ross takinga step to the left and they were driving them back.

Finally Bullitt why do you not rate Healy? Yes, it's Healy not Healey. His scrummaging has improved considerably under Feeks tutelage and is brilliant in the loose. Look up his tribute on youtube (skip the first 55 seconds or so)

Healy is just a poor mans Andrew Sheridan - Sub par in the scrum and then kinda makes up for it by being good in the loose

You forgot about the line-outs thrown by Wyatt Crockett of which 3 out of 5 were not straight ;)

Finally Bullitt why do you not rate Healy? Yes, it's Healy not Healey. His scrummaging has improved considerably under Feeks tutelage and is brilliant in the loose. Look up his tribute on youtube (skip the first 55 seconds or so)
Is the first 55 seconds the bit where it shows him scrummaging?!

You forgot about the line-outs thrown by Wyatt Crockett of which 3 out of 5 were not straight ;)

You mean Cory Flynn.

I think the difference between the teams would be on what field they play on. People throw the whole "S15 packs aren't strong" rubbish and then get demolished in internationals by the so called "weaker" players. If it was in rainy conditions I'd give Leinster a big advantage, but on a dry field I think the Reds would certainly out-tempo Leinster. The Reds loose trio is certainly underated, with Higgenbotham, Robinson and Samo all being in the current Australian squad and probably being one of the most effective trio's in the tornement. Higgenbotham was instrumental in the Reds final victory over probably the best pack in the Super 15.

Latest posts