• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leonardo Sarto to Prem?

I think the situations definitely different for Italy. Sarto would potentially develop better in a non-Italian pro side, purely because there is a likelihood he'd be on a more competitive side that has a history of doing things right off the field. Just like a Welsh player will potentially develop better at Scarlets than at the Dragons.

Generally I'd agree with you, but Sarto would be better off at Benneton (or Glasgow) than at say Worcester. Hopefully the rebranded Eccelenza provides a better avenue for developing talent soon. But those sides still seem inferior to sides from the Romanian, Russian and even Georgian leagues (judging by the Continental Shield).

And your English is far better than my Italian. We all just take turns to defend the Pro14 to the death! :D

First of all, I hope you've had a great festive period.

I couldn't agree more. As the pro12 league starts to develop and Rugby as a sport starts to take root then teams may start to develop in the south opening up more talent. But the u20 and u18 are doing well in the Roman teams, I love watching the GP14, I think it's the best league in Europe - I know there were talks of a development team and I think it's a brilliant idea (As long as they keep the no relegation/promotion so teams can cycle the talent).

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on this too?

My waistline confirms that a good festive time was had thanks. Hope it was the same for you.

Well Scotland have moved towards creating a new domestic professional league (due to start next year i think) that will act as feeder teams to the two Pro14 sides. So this alone may neutralise any possible reserve or development league.

If I was Italy I'd continue with the Eccelenza / Top league and use that as the primary means of expanding the geographical footprint of rugby in Italy and feeding talent into the Pro14 sides. It's not ideal because the level is relatively low, but if those clubs are professional then they have scope to improve that situation longer term, so it could become a good feeder league to bring on the emerging youth talent. Like Scotland, I'd consider making franchises for the Eccelenza, reduce the size of the league (to concentrate the best players in less teams) and focus on key territories (which Scotland didn't do).

The Continental Shield is only of value to Italy if other nations take part. The mess in Germany and Spain's bizarre introspection have really reduced the value to Italy in my opinion both in terms of competitive play and in terms of a long term plan B to the Pro14.

November was my month for defending the Pro14 to the hilt against the Gallagher league, so I'll pass on that one. :p

Signed for Tigers.
spongebob.jpg

bUT hOw WILl hE EvER iMpROve?!

Latest posts