• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leonardo Sarto to Prem?

He needs regular game time. Italy are desperate for a bit of depth at wing. A fit Sarto walks into the side and Benvenuti is not the answer.

Hi Gents,

First post for me:

Couldn't agree more with this, I'm not overly convinced with Benvenuti - He's been a consistent player for Italian rugby but he's not an out-and-out winger (certainly not over Bellini or Sarto) and he's not a starting centre over Campagnaro and Boni or Castello.

Too many utility backs and not enough dedicated players in positions in the Italian team in my opinion.

One thing is for sure is the more Italian players going to the likes of the prem the better for Italian rugby.

Hi Gents,

First post for me:

Couldn't agree more with this, I'm not overly convinced with Benvenuti - He's been a consistent player for Italian rugby but he's not an out-and-out winger (certainly not over Bellini or Sarto) and he's not a starting centre over Campagnaro and Boni or Castello.

Too many utility backs and not enough dedicated players in positions in the Italian team in my opinion.

One thing is for sure is the more Italian players going to the likes of the prem the better for Italian rugby.

Welcome! Just as an aside, where would you put Sperandio for both wing and fullback for Italy if everyone was fit? I'd have him fourth choice at fullback (where I think Italy are strong). Do you think CoS just gave him game time because he is a young man who needs international exposure?

Welcome! Just as an aside, where would you put Sperandio for both wing and fullback for Italy if everyone was fit? I'd have him fourth choice at fullback (where I think Italy are strong). Do you think CoS just gave him game time because he is a young man who needs international exposure?

Thank you!

I think Sperandio is a really exciting prospect and it's really great to see another decent product from the academy - I have to be honest, I'd like to see a little more of him the 6 Nations but I understand CoS reluctance to play him and allow him to develop physically in the GP14.
To answer your question for wing choices I'd have:-
1. Bellini
2. Sarto
3. Sperandio
4. Benvenuti
5. Esposito

For full-back:-
1. Minozzi
2. Hayward
3. Sperandio
4. Padovani

Although admittedly I'd love to see him have his shot at FB. Having watched the u20's for the past few years he'll need to have his shot soon.

Sorry fellas - but why do you think having players in the English PremierHype will see them develop more than in the Pro14?

Most available evidence would point to the Pro14 being a better development environment than the PremierHype.

Sorry fellas - but why do you think having players in the English PremierHype will see them develop more than in the Pro14?

Most available evidence would point to the Pro14 being a better development environment than the PremierHype.

Guess depends on the teams.
Italian players tend to develop fairly well in England on the whole.

Because, as an international, he wouldn't play.
Can't develop if you don't get game time.

Hi Amiga,

I would agree but only because there is a much larger proportion of Italian players in the GP14 therefore the evidence would always correlate in that manner.

If you look at the few Italian players who have moves to the prem their game has gotten significantly better by training with a plethora of players from different backgrounds (Castrogiovanni, Bortolami, Campagnaro).

And just to re-iterate, I'm not suggesting that it is one of the other - the GP14 has been a saving grace for Italian rugby and it's international development but immersing a rugby player in a different culture with different styles of rugby is the best way to influence their knowledge of the game.

Last edited:
I think the premiership is definitely the worst league to develop a player, playing too much is just as bad as playing too little and the pro 14 and top 14 clubs rotate far better than the English clubs. So many more premiership players show fantastic promise but don't really get much better after they they make it when they're 23-25, it's far less common in France and the pro14 .

I guess then Ireland, Wales and Scotland did an even more amazing job finishing 1st, 2nd & 3rd in the last 6N given they were (supposedly) not able to develop any of their international players.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/table/_/league/180659

Is this a linear comparison though? There is some established domestic leagues in all the Celtic countries, this enables the teams represented in the pro14 (and international coaches) a better rounded way of identifying talent.

As I said, the Pro14 has been a blessing for Italian rugby as a whole, there are some players who are developing into some incredibly exciting talent.

This discussion was specific to Italy and Italian players though, you need to understand that they do not have sports in school and it is incredibly difficult to identify prospects in the same way, because of this the talent is pooled into Zebre and Treviso not allowing other players with potential to develop in a high pressured league.

I stand behind my previous opinion that the more players who manage to develop their game in unbinary/ un-nationalised top European teams regardless of league, the better for the progression Italian rugby.

My apologies if I made some spelling mistakes, English isn't my first language.

I think the premiership is definitely the worst league to develop a player, playing too much is just as bad as playing too little and the pro 14 and top 14 clubs rotate far better than the English clubs. So many more premiership players show fantastic promise but don't really get much better after they they make it when they're 23-25, it's far less common in France and the pro14 .

Cullen and Jennings would argue differently.

Is this a linear comparison though? There is some established domestic leagues in all the Celtic countries, this enables the teams represented in the pro14 (and international coaches) a better rounded way of identifying talent.

As I said, the Pro14 has been a blessing for Italian rugby as a whole, there are some players who are developing into some incredibly exciting talent.

This discussion was specific to Italy and Italian players though, you need to understand that they do not have sports in school and it is incredibly difficult to identify prospects in the same way, because of this the talent is pooled into Zebre and Treviso not allowing other players with potential to develop in a high pressured league.

I stand behind my previous opinion that the more players who manage to develop their game in unbinary/ un-nationalised top European teams regardless of league, the better for the progression Italian rugby.

My apologies if I made some spelling mistakes, English isn't my first language.

I think the situations definitely different for Italy. Sarto would potentially develop better in a non-Italian pro side, purely because there is a likelihood he'd be on a more competitive side that has a history of doing things right off the field. Just like a Welsh player will potentially develop better at Scarlets than at the Dragons.

Generally I'd agree with you, but Sarto would be better off at Benneton (or Glasgow) than at say Worcester. Hopefully the rebranded Eccelenza provides a better avenue for developing talent soon. But those sides still seem inferior to sides from the Romanian, Russian and even Georgian leagues (judging by the Continental Shield).

And your English is far better than my Italian. We all just take turns to defend the Pro14 to the death! :D

Latest posts