• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Licenses over gameplay

Gameplay over Licensing

• Total voters
What alternative team names could there be for any unlicensed teams?

Leicester Tigers - Bengals
Northampton Saints - Angels
Sale Sharks - Dolphins
London Wasps - Hornets
London Irish - Celtics
Newcastle Falcons - Eagles

(Can you tell I watch US sport? :p)

Lol, hardcase stuff. I just thought I'd say that I'd be pretty p*ssed off if HB decided that if they went for unlicensed, that they'd also go for uneditable. That's probably the big thing not being noticed in this thread. Uneditable would really make for a riot. I know if they didn't have licenses and didn't make editable, I'd be doing all I could to make sure they realised that it was an ultra serious issue with fans.

I'd literally never shut up about it.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR LACK OF EDITABILITY IF LICENSES AREN'T THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, hardcase stuff. I just thought I'd say that I'd be pretty p*ssed off if HB decided that if they went for unlicensed, that they'd also go for uneditable. That's probably the big thing not being noticed in this thread. Uneditable would really make for a riot. I know if they didn't have licenses and didn't make editable, I'd be doing all I could to make sure they realised that it was an ultra serious issue with fans.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR LACK OF EDITABILITY IF LICENSES AREN'T THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think anyone could argue with that.

Hear, hear

I would prefer gameplay myself over gameplay. I don't mind playing the game as the Neath Swansea Vultures with quality gameplay. wouldn't mind Shane Walliams having a signature side step running style and having James Hick with a fair few dummies and hand offs etc. would love to have licensing for the "clubs" but its not massively essential, as long as there is customisation options (Backbreaker looks very promising with customisation options). Rugby on euphoria engine (From "Backbreaker" demo impressions) would ace :D :D :D
Fingers crossed for both tho

I would prefer gameplay myself over gameplay. I don't mind playing the game as the Neath Swansea Vultures with quality gameplay. wouldn't mind Shane Walliams having a signature side step running style and having James Hick with a fair few dummies and hand offs etc. would love to have licensing for the "clubs" but its not massively essential, as long as there is customisation options (Backbreaker looks very promising with customisation options). Rugby on euphoria engine (From "Backbreaker" demo impressions) would ace :D :D :D
Fingers crossed for both tho

yeah gameplay over gameplay anyday.

Glad there was a good bit of discussion here. Just wanted to clear up something, i only put the two options there as it forces people to lean towards their general preference of content. If i had put multiple options, the core question would have been completely diluted. Of course everyone wants both, and then more on top of that, but by making it a basic yes/no question, you get a greater idea of what people want. If i asked what would you want on a desert island, unlimited water, or unlimited food, i would ask where option 3 is: a friggin boat!

I think if they included the Edit options, an easy way around a lot of liscensing problems would be to implement a "2k Share" type of system in the game. I'm not sure what other games have used this, but in all the 2K sports games, they allow people to upload created teams, players and edited rosters, game sliders, videos and all that jazz, and put it all up for grabs. If they did this, at least with the rosters and created teams, it would allow the TRF community to really preserve the game's longevity, and we wouldn't have as many gripes about authenticity.

id like good liscensing but id rather have good gamplay however if they added a edit option sorted players/ teams you want liscensed by hand as long as the players are recognizable i remember trawling through pro evos orange players trying to rename them

Licenses over gameplay anyday what's the point making a rugby game and releasing it in the worldcup year if the players name arn't right:it so annoying not knowing who the players names are in the top14 etc

I do care about licenses, that is part of the reason I won't play Rugby 08 much anymore, it doesn't feel right playing with players who are retired. I'm not going to lie and say licenses don't matter, because they do. Gameplay is important, but I want authenticity.

Honestly wouldnt bother me id rather have a better game than just a game with names

Same here. When I look back at some of my most favorite sports games of all-time, many of them didn't have licenses, but had good gameplay and features. I like licensed sports games, but it's just as fun to learn the traits and characteristics of completely fictional players. In fact, with a little backstory, they often took on a life of their own.

If licensed action can't be delivered, all I hope is that they can deliver excellent customizing features. I know it's been mentioned here before, but it bears repeating... the customization that has been laid down by Backbreaker is something above and beyond. Possibly enough to push the game over the fact that it doesn't have any licenses.

It would be nice if HB stepped in here soon and put the debate to rest.

Gameplay is king just add a good edit mode that uses the playstation eye or any usb camera or just jpegs thats actually better because you can get higher quality pics. Then with a quality edit mode you can have all the player faces and jerseys. Just make it save in a options file and within weeks after launch someone would of made a option file with everything just like pro evo.

I'm sure the Rugby games use to be yearly, 04, 05, 06 then it went to 08 and now 12 due to lack of interest and poor sales.

Bigger budget may have been the wrong term, what I meant was, as the game will just need to be tweaked next time, the engine and the gameplay will just be a copy and paste rather than built from scratch like this time. Leaving more money for licences etc. The Atmosphere is important, but whats the point in perfect atmosphere, and then the game plays crappy. It would get pretty stale rather quickly.

Plus as HB are funding this themselves, rather than EA like normal, their funds are a lot smaller, if it does become popular, EA might pick it up again. But this is just speculation and who knows what the future holds

The reason the sales started to decline was because they started doing the EA trademark scheme, rehash the same "crap" as the previous with little tweaks, all the buyers were renting the game, going it's the same as I have already got but the new changes suck so NO buy... you can see where I'm going with this! It's pretty simple really, make a game, make it as usable as possible, and then expand exponentially, if not then we go back to the 04, 05, 06 conundrum when it all got too similar!!!

This is how much Rugby 08 sucked. Shane Geraghty was just Charlie Hodgson (same face, same abilities) with a different name. Moody played centre....(and if you put him at flanker he would keep dropping the ball as it wasnt his position) I think Graham Rowntree was still in the game. Just makes the point that licences arent always that great if they are so sloppily used as on 08.

Gameplay is king just add a good edit mode that uses the playstation eye or any usb camera or just jpegs thats actually better because you can get higher quality pics. Then with a quality edit mode you can have all the player faces and jerseys. Just make it save in a options file and within weeks after launch someone would of made a option file with everything just like pro evo.

How crap were the created players? They were like bobble heads compared to the other players, and depending on how good you made them, at half time their energy levels were like 58? WTF?

So long as the teams are respectable, I'd rather have gameplay. However, if there's a side called, say, Libary Allstars!! with a star player named Curtis Nibble7, then I'd be a bit more sceptical.

Are you joking we need licences it would not be rugby game without. After playing 08 I could name entire international teams that I did not follow <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Licensing, Licensing, Licensing!!! This is the first Rugby game on next generation consoles... It needs to look and sound amazing and authentic.

I would be so gutted if the licensing was not there. I'm not a huge fan of 'editing' players/strips/teams... While it may be fun to create yourself on 'be-a-pro' I want the real deal!
If the game looks great and has full licensing i'll buy it!

Latest posts