• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions flanker Rhodes cited for foul play

I like that the citing commissions are taking a harder edge on the more dangerous / sickeing aspects of the game as opposed to someone dishing out a slap or two in retaliation.

I read the IRB Judicial Rules, and It seems that Rhodes got the maximum recommended penalty for his offence, and not the top end penalty of 10 - 52 weeks.

His offence was sickening to watch and very dangerous, and its great that the judiciary have come down hard on this type of dangerous play ... it was interesting to hear Justin Marshall (I think) in the commentary just after it happened, say that players are actually trained to grab the player under the arms, and twist their bodies out of the rucks in a kind of Judo throw, so, giving Rhodes the benefit of the doubt here (and not condoning what he did), it looks like it was one of these clean outs gone wrong.

This is probably why he escaped the high end category of punishment.

Piutau probably should have received the low end penalty of two weeks for striking with the hand IMO ... Yes, it was a natural reaction to retaliate in that way, and yes, the officials completely missed the incident that lead to the retaliation at the time, but, a punch is a punch, and if they want to eliminate this stuff from the game, they need to apply a penalty.

I also only really see it today. It was terrible and i was tryign to see if he maybe didnt realise he had his head or was just enthusiastically clearing out. But he mustve known he had the okes head in a lock. After looking again and seeing it now again i think he got of light.

I also only really see it today. It was terrible and i was tryign to see if he maybe didnt realise he had his head or was just enthusiastically clearing out. But he mustve known he had the okes head in a lock. After looking again and seeing it now again i think he got of light.

Yeah, he should have released him, and had another go at grabbing him under the arms

Yeah, he should have released him, and had another go at grabbing him under the arms

He did get a lekker shot against the temple after that. Took his two punches well, but will be flying home in disgrace though. I hope nothing happens to the oke that puchned, other than maybe learning that he must folow through and keep his head still :p

I read the IRB Judicial Rules, and It seems that Rhodes got the maximum recommended penalty for his offence, and not the top end penalty of 10 - 52 weeks.

His offence was sickening to watch and very dangerous, and its great that the judiciary have come down hard on this type of dangerous play ... it was interesting to hear Justin Marshall (I think) in the commentary just after it happened, say that players are actually trained to grab the player under the arms, and twist their bodies out of the rucks in a kind of Judo throw, so, giving Rhodes the benefit of the doubt here (and not condoning what he did), it looks like it was one of these clean outs gone wrong.

This is probably why he escaped the high end category of punishment.

Piutau probably should have received the low end penalty of two weeks for striking with the hand IMO ... Yes, it was a natural reaction to retaliate in that way, and yes, the officials completely missed the incident that lead to the retaliation at the time, but, a punch is a punch, and if they want to eliminate this stuff from the game, they need to apply a penalty.

Yeah we have been taught this. Youre supposed to use it if you are in a position where you arrive at a ruck with no momentum and dont have the strength to push the opposition player through off the ball or when the opposition have got themselves in such a low and stable positon that its too hard to budge them backwards. We were actually taught almost put the guy in a head lock with one arm and grab his shorts with the other and spin him out to the side, i remember thinking it looked mighty risky.

Yeah we have been taught this. Youre supposed to use it if you are in a position where you arrive at a ruck with no momentum and dont have the strength to push the opposition player through off the ball or when the opposition have got themselves in such a low and stable positon that its too hard to budge them backwards. We were actually taught almost put the guy in a head lock with one arm and grab his shorts with the other and spin him out to the side, i remember thinking it looked mighty risky.
Something similar to bottle capping I believe its called?
I developed a pretty cool technique the other day when a guy is fetching ...need to enter from the side so it might be difficult :p

I was also taught the twisting thing - grab them under the arms then use your body weight to roll them off

Latest posts