• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions, Sharks and Stormers to join pro 14.

I think this is yet again a story with very little substance. There were no reports that any of the remaining SA teams would leave Super Rugby. Then all of a sudden yesterday afternoon, there was one article on one of the more reliable news agencies websites, that one might join the Kings and Cheetahs in Pro14, and then within 10 minutes this article appeared on all the major websites: https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/sanzaar-rejects-report-of-sa-super-rugby-exodus-20180507

So I think it's yet again someone jumping to conclusions when they shouldn't.

Now that SANZAAR has publicly responded to this report and categorically denied it, it is up to Wales Online to prove their credibility. SANZAAR is basically calling them liars. As SANZAAR is the official source and the one that should be trusted by default, the impetus now lies with Wales online to come to the fore and present what ever evidence they have to support their claim and counter SANZAAR.

Generally SA media such as Supersport will be one of the first to report on matters such as these as they own the media rights for Super rugby here and any move to the pro 14 will have to go through them. Their inhouse journalists will most likely make any press release on the matter once a decision is taken. There is ofcourse the possibility that a decision was actually taken but that due to a strategic decision they decided not to make any announcements.

The only way The big four SA sides could be tempted to join the Pro 14 is if huge financial incentives are promised, its essentially a decision between sporting and financial reasons when comparing the pros of Super rugby vs the Pro 14.

I'd prefer it if the Griquas and Pumas entered Pro 14 with the Super Rugby Franchises staying put.

I'll regard this one with all the credibility of a Daily Flail headline that reads "Alien Flying Saucers Land in Hyde Park!!"

and Johnny Alien is stealing jobs from hard pressed British Families. Now is not the time for Theresa May to row back on securing our shores. Galexit now!

[By Daily Flail I assume you are referring to the Daily Mail... aka the Daily Heil]

That's about as far from a categorical denial from the Lions as you can get and I'd suggest that the head of Super Rugby doesn't speak for SARU or their clubs.

That said, the fact that Super Rugby say that there is ongoing review feeds my paranoia that the SARU are leaking this sort of thing intentionally. Nothing like a bit of politics in your rugby.

I'm not particularly bothered what happens as long as the Kings and Cheetahs get messed about again by switching places with two SR SA sides.

I do wonder if it is not a negotiation tactic from SARU. Making it clear to NZ AUS and ARG that they have other options that maybe the other's don't have.

I do wonder if it is not a negotiation tactic from SARU. Making it clear to NZ AUS and ARG that they have other options that maybe the other's don't have.
Of course it is but if those other options bring in more sweet cash the Saffas will jump. I think it's very likely that they'd jump at the chance to play in the Champions cup because it's mean they'd probably be on par, if not better off, financially with the Pro14 clubs who they routinely list players to.

A European/South African Champions Cup would be a gigantic market.

Of course it is but if those other options bring in more sweet cash the Saffas will jump. I think it's very likely that they'd jump at the chance to play in the Champions cup because it's mean they'd probably be on par, if not better off, financially with the Pro14 clubs who they routinely list players to.

A European/South African Champions Cup would be a gigantic market.

I agree, I think the South African's will only go en mass if they are allowed into the Champions Cup. If not I think they'll stay put.

From Mark Keohane on twitter when asked had he heard anything:
https://twitter.com/mark_keohane/status/993437853525868549

SA will play 4 teams in Super Rugby and add Griquas and Pumas to the Northern Hemisphere duo already there. The only time an additional team would go north would be if Super Rugby is trimmed when they kick out Sunwolves and SA stays with 3 in Super Rugby instead of 4

Half of the Pro 14 sides have the word "Bank" on their shirts. That's all SARU knows....

From Mark Keohane on twitter when asked had he heard anything:

Due to their player drain to Europe SA barely has depth for the existing 6 franchises. Look at what happened when the Cheetahs backline left for Super Rugby mid season.

I can't see how the Pumas and Griquas wouldn't just be complete whipping boys given those depth issues. I'm not sure how the Pro14 would respond to such an offer now they have the slight breathing space with an improved TV deal.

Due to their player drain to Europe SA barely has depth for the existing 6 franchises. Look at what happened when the Cheetahs backline left for Super Rugby mid season.

I can't see how the Pumas and Griquas wouldn't just be complete whipping boys given those depth issues. I'm not sure how the Pro14 would respond to such an offer now they have the slight breathing space with an improved TV deal.

But the Griquas and the Pumas won't join the Pro14. The idea is that they play in a tournament like the Anglo-Welsh Cup, which is my understanding that it's more of a developmental tournament, where the Griquas and Pumas would fit in nicely as they are more of feeding team for the bigger franchises/unions.

But the Griquas and the Pumas won't join the Pro14. The idea is that they play in a tournament like the Anglo-Welsh Cup, which is my understanding that it's more of a developmental tournament, where the Griquas and Pumas would fit in nicely as they are more of feeding team for the bigger franchises/unions.

What's the state of the currie cup recently.

What's the state of the currie cup recently.

Well it's been a bit of a shuffle situation the past 3 years or so, it's still divided into a Premier and First Division tournament, but the shuffles were about the number of teams in each league, and how the promotion/relegation should work, because they wanted to help the Kings get into the premier division and stay there due to the Super Rugby inclusion in the past.

Now that the Kings and Cheetahs are playing Pro14 the same time as the Currie Cup, they need to look at another model/plan as we saw how it hampered the Cheetahs last year, when they won their first 5 matches, and than it went downhill from there. The current idea is to move the Currie Cup to overlap the June Internationals as well as the Rugby Championship, but finish in time ahead of the start of the Pro14, in order to give the Cheetahs and Kings a fairer run at being competitive in both tournaments as well as ensuring enough rest periods/off season time.

It has lost a bit of it's shine the past few years due to these mix-ups. But I'm sure it will bounce back once the alignments have been done and everyone is happy with the model.

I could be wrong but I think the Welsh regions have pulled out of the Anglo Welsh Cup in favour of a new A/u23 competition involving Scottish and Irish teams.

Interesting times ahead. Whereas in the past, SA flirtation with European rugby seemed to be in order to strengthen their hand in Super Rugby negotiations, the involvement of the Kings and Cheetahs in the Pro 14 along with membership on the board of Pro Rugby gives threats of moving north a lot more credibility than before.

Latest posts