URC and Premiership merger discussions?

saulan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
This feels very Super Rugby expansion failure vibes of throwing in too many teams… but on the other hand has Rugby 08 World League vibes. Just don't see how they could pull this off without promotion relegation, and I can see SA travel being a point of contention again. I don't want this to happen. I'm really enjoying the current structure of the URC.

Article:

Can only see it with pro/rel and Italy+ South Africa getting dropped.

Also props for getting the archive to work I failed at it for like five minutes.

Can only see it with pro/rel and Italy+ South Africa getting dropped.

Also props for getting the archive to work I failed at it for like five minutes.

Yea exactly, I think if this does go ahead, we are in trouble (SA). Getting rid of SA May be easier since we haven't been in enough years to become a fully fledged member with all the revenue rights, but they can't just ditch Italy I think without a lot of financial pain.

Don't like it,
Never liked the idea of merging all the countries into one league, what's the point in the European comp at that stage?

We're just along for the ride though, the money men will do what they do - probably merge the Currie cup in while they're at it

Don't like it,
Never liked the idea of merging all the countries into one league, what's the point in the European comp at that stage?

We're just along for the ride though, the money men will do what they do - probably merge the Currie cup in while they're at it
This exactly.

The URC has really found it's feet and the last 2 years were probably dream scenarios for organisers.
Year 1 and all SA final buzzing.
Then year 2 Munster in final in SA where we brought huge support. It knocked the travel barrier but even the playoffs last year were all mad. The semi finals were both phenomenal games.

And equally the European Cup will die if this happens. I love playing the English teams in Europe as it just has the extra excitement feel where you are familiar with the but it still very rare you play.

I don't think financially it would work as both leagues have strong marketing clout financially and neither will want to give that up and that is before we mix in TV deals and the different approaches both have

This feels very Super Rugby expansion failure vibes of throwing in too many teams… but on the other hand has Rugby 08 World League vibes. Just don't see how they could pull this off without promotion relegation, and I can see SA travel being a point of contention again. I don't want this to happen. I'm really enjoying the current structure of the URC.

Article:
Reads like the same guff that emanates from Wales every few months.

Don't like it,

Personally, I'm all for it. Always been keen on a British and Irish comp. I think the European Comp is a shadow of its former glory anyway, so wouldn't mind seeing that replaced by a short, sharp, high quality world club comp.

Edit. This may be skewed by me being Welsh though. Maybe the HC is still loved by those who are competative?

I love the idea of a rugby 08 world league. You'd have to have three tiers in it but I think that would be brilliant.
You'd have promotion and relegation between the tiers but have a closed shop of clubs (albeit a massive closed shop).

Personally, I'm all for it. Always been keen on a British and Irish comp. I think the European Comp is a shadow of its former glory anyway, so wouldn't mind seeing that replaced by a short, sharp, high quality world club comp.

Edit. This may be skewed by me being Welsh though. Maybe the HC is still loved by those who are competative?
Go with a conference style league with 18 matches plus play offs, followed by a ECC of 20 teams like the RWC, 7 weeks at end of season.

Article:
i feel the super rugby expansion was mostly about new teams that didn't have the player depth trying to elbow their way into a comp that was also changing

existing teams and their support base just moving to a new comp could work, just look at the SA teams joining URC

Article:
I feel the same way. 👊

Reads like the same guff that emanates from Wales every few months.
Yes, always lots of comments on Wales Online saying they should leave the URC and join an Anglo-Welsh league. At least it would make room for a Georgian team possibly and one other (unsure where but possibly Spain and/or Portugal).

I would be in favour of a Anglo-Welsh league TBH
Would prob help Prem rugby and RFU with a 2 tier league set up.

10 Prem teams
4 Welsh regions and 6 Champ clubs (Ealing, Cornish Pirates, Doncaster, Coventry and then maybe see if 2 of the folded clubs could be resurrected)

URC bring in The Cheetahs from SA and from the Super cup
Lusitanos
Black Lions
Castilla y León Iberians

Yes, always lots of comments on Wales Online saying they should leave the URC and join an Anglo-Welsh league. At least it would make room for a Georgian team possibly and one other (unsure where but possibly Spain and/or Portugal).
In principle I have no objection to an expanded URC to include England or continental Europeana. Its just really tiresome to see anonymous sources (Welsh) choosing to say they want an alternative to the URC within 24hrs of the kickoff of the new season.

Then people wonder why the Welsh aren't more enthusiastic about the URC. Maybe if people in positions of influence in Welsh rugby didn't repeatedly talk down on a tournament all other participating unions thinks is pretty good then there would be more domestic enthusiasm for it. Its disrespectful to your partners and commercially self destructive.

By all means the Welsh union can pursue its own objectives, but maybe keep it behind closed doors rather than playing about in the press. I hope the URC put a mechanism in place where they can sanction the Welsh union if this persists.

The beauty of this would be simple... I could attend a f*****g away game, and maybe meet an away fan at a Welsh stadium. That would be lovely!!!

WOL always seem to hark back to the days of Neath vs Gloucester etc.

I wouldn't be fussed if the regions joined the prem, might even be worth the Scots coming on board. Not sure where that leaves the Irish other than lots of air miles.

WOL always seem to hark back to the days of Neath vs Gloucester etc.

I wouldn't be fussed if the regions joined the prem, might even be worth the Scots coming on board. Not sure where that leaves the Irish other than lots of air miles.
A British and Irish League. The SA teams can play in an elite league with Italy (unsure what it would be called)

Latest posts