• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions Squad: 2009

Can't believe people slating Leigh Halfpenny as a Henson esc type person. The lads has deserved it on merit and nothing else.

Can't believe Mathew Rees, Harry Ellis and Powell have made it over the likes of Ford, Cusiter / Peel and Croft / Jones

Apart from that thats the squad i was expecting to be named. In fact it was the similar to the one I drew up last night at work.

You get the distinct feeling that Powell, Worsley and Hines are there as impact subs and nothing else...Powell and Hines especially..

I agree, Halfpenny is a quality player who is confident (and I would be if I was that good) without a hint of Cipriani or Henson's arrogance.

So stop it.

Powell's been found out for me, he just runs and looks for contact. Im very dissapointed he is going over Ryan Jones and Croft!

Aye, hate to go on about it but why the frig isn't Croft there? One of the best athletes currently playing Rugby, fantastic at the lineout (which is going to be very important) and there's no place for him? Madness.

Ellis tho... The Lions need Ellis like a hole in the head... WHY WHY WHY!!!

And Vickery is useful as a T-totaler in an all you drink party!!

I'm "OK" with this squad; I think Scotland merited at least more than 2 forwards, Mike Blair should go but I'm ok with Scott Lawson's omission because I think he'll end up going, hooker is a high stress position.

Totally, Croft has incredible pace and endurance and is probably one of the fittest guys in the England team today. The way he hunted down and sacked Australia time and again without mercy was incredible and ran away from the New Zealand Maori (Maori or not, Ripper, they should be able to keep up with a blindside flanker!!!) was absolutely breathtaking.

Powell on the hard fast ground brings a different option to Jones and given the number of 6,7 and 8 options available, you can see why they went with Powell. R Jones just doesnt deserve to go ahead of Ferris, Worsley (cant believe I'm saying that), Quinlan, Heaslip etc. I'd feel for him, and I think he'd be a great guy to have on the tour, but if your picking on form, you have to say its a good call.

Halfpenny, I thought it was a Welsh lad who started the whole personality question. I dont know the lad, would be surprised if he had an attitude.

Agree with Croft. Any 6 with that pace would be squeesed into my team somehow.

Vickery is disappointing and shouldn't be there on form but I always have the feeling that there might be one last hurrah for him, it could be this tour!
Can't see him starting unfortunately, Euan Murray must be first choice Tighthead!

I think Worsley has earned a shot, the guy played out of his skin in the 6N and although he isnt the greatest footballer in the world the way he puts his body on the line is an example to others - the Lions need to set their stall out from the first whistle and show that they'll not be intimidated, I think Worsley is just the right kind of player to establish that mentality. Plus the guy has about as much ego as a gerbil.

I knew a pretty egotistical Gerbil before,,,

Kevin was his name

heeey Ratfanssssss

That trio of nines is awful.

SHAW?! OMFG.
As for Earls, Geech better hope he doesn't get exposed. Good choices though otherwise.

Shaw is a good player, has the experienced needed and has played well for England recently

We don't need a penalty machine, sorry.
I'd have sooner taken Gough or even Kennedy.

EDIT: Yes, the same Earls who if I'm not mistaken, has never started a test game?

very surprised with the makeup of the backrow.

Powell is a shocker getting the nod ahead of both Leamy and Jones who are more versatile than the Cardiff man.

Ellis is another howler, the scrum halves are dissappointing as they're all similar type players with Ellis being a poor mans version of Phillips and O'Leary, thought Care, Cussiter, Blair, Peel, Stringer would all be ahead of Ellis in the pecking order.

Not too happy with Rees touring, Best would have been a better option to bring along as he'd make the ideal midweek captain but presumably that will be Vickery's job.

Don't get 5 centres but only 2 fly halves especially when Fitzgerald and Bowe can cover the centre as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Apr 21 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We don't need a penalty machine, sorry.
I'd have sooner taken Gough or even Kennedy.[/b]

well we have 3 penalty machines in the forwards, so it'll be an interesting match if Shaw, DOC and Quinlan all start the same game. Thankfully it won't be the tests for Shaw and Quinlan. O'Callaghan will get the nod ahead of Wyn Jones most likely.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 21 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Shaw is a good player, has the experienced needed and has played well for England recently[/b]

I think though people are taking more out of Shaw's performance than it really was considering how he compared to the performance of Borthwick.

Latest posts