15 O Connor

16 Polota Nau
17 Alexander
18 Timani/Simmons
19 Gill
20 White
21 Leali'ifano
22 Beale/Folau/Mogg

Considering most tries are scored of line outs is it wise to leave the best jumper in Super rugby out the team? That is Ben Mowen of course? Smith don't qualify he still got a contract with Toulon. Palu ain't called Tampon for nothing. One week in three weeks out...

ah righto was unsure about the details now that he is able to complete the season with the brumbies. No problem though, just shift Gill in to 7 and Hooper onto the bench. Yeah it was a toss up between Mowen and Higginbotham, they both play different games. Mowen is a good jumper, and probably plays tighter than Higginbotham (though he has tightened his game) but i added Higginbotham for his ball running and being a general c*** around the ruck/maul. Hes better in general play. You are right about Palu and i wouldnt be surprised if he cant play due to injury, but if hes 100% fit give him a gold (or yelllow) jumper and he lifts his game.

Ashley-Cooper is back in 2010.

In the game he like to be amAzing! :D
Playing awesomely with the 'tahs!

ps. George Smith is not in contract with Toulon, but with Suntory Sungoliath: but they agree to a loan extension to the Brumbies until august, so he will be available for the Lions tour.

Ashley-Cooper is back in 2010.

In the game he like to be amAzing! :D
Playing awesomely with the 'tahs!

ps. George Smith is not in contract with Toulon, but with Suntory Sungoliath: but they agree to a loan extension to the Brumbies until august, so he will be available for the Lions tour.
Available but illegible for Wallaby selection

You can do this amazing backline... I dont see why we dont do it... it would carve up and all players are exp enough in each position... all stars on same field!

1 Robinson

2 Moore
3 Slipper
4 McMenniman
5 Horwill (c)
6 Higginbotham
7 Gill (due to form but Hooper could also do it easy)
8 Smith (hes done it before and we then get 2 great players on field same time)
9 Genia (vc)
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Beale
13 AAC (very good form atm)
14 O Connor
15 Mogg (Super rugby form he has to be in it)

16 Polota Nau (great impact player)
17 Alexander
18 Simmons
19 Hooper
20 Phibs
21 Leali'ifano
22 Folau

Right now I'd be opting for:

1 Robinson
2 Moore
3 Slipper
4 Simmons
5 Horwill
6 Higginbotham
7 Smith/Hooper
8 Mowen
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 McCabe
13 Ashley-Cooper
14 O'Connor
15 Beale

16 Polota-Nau
17 Alexander
18 Pyle
19 Hooper/Gill
20 Phipps
21 Barnes
22 Folau

It's a toss up between starting Folau or Beale - I've opted for Beale due to his combination with JOC and Cooper. Folau will be a great impact player. If Smith is available he'd be my starting 7, though both Hooper and Gill would be more than adequate. Hooper is the better all round player so would be ahead of Gill, however. Pyle has been great for the Rebels, so earns a place on the bench. Mowen deserves a starting spot after leading the Brumbies so well, and is another good lineout option. Higginbotham squeaks in due to his good form, ahead of the likes of Dave Dennis. Simmons' combination with Horwill also grabs him a starting lock position. Second five was the hardest position to pick - neither Faingaa nor Tapuai strike me as adding anything to the team. McCabe at least is a solid defender - the team can score from anywhere anyway, so I think he's probably the most useful player to fill in at 12, even if his attack is sub par.

The only player desperately unlucky to miss out is Jesse Mogg.

My opinion: 1 Robinson
2 Moore
3 Slipper
4 Timani
5 Horwill
6 Higginbotham
7 Smith
8 Mowen
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Lealiifano
13 Ashley-Cooper
14 Folau
15 Mogg

16 Polota-Nau
17 Alexander
18 Pyle
19 Hooper
20 White
21 Beale
22 Cummins
Unlucky: Gill, Tomane, Phipps, O'Connor. Omitted: Simmons, McCabe, Dennis, Mitchell

If Timani can continue to play like he did against the Stormers then you'd be mad to leave him out. He's a great athlete, and he was smashing absolutely everything in sight.

hey anyone predicting an Aussie win of the series on here ??
would be interesting to read some predictions right now, we're close enough...

I'm not sure why everyone is so keen on Cooper, I guess Beale has been out of form but consider this:
- Cooper is a proven negative influence, already he has questioned the coach and the Wallaby environment, and selecting him would only give him a bigger sense of entitlement.
- He's a proven defensive liability playing against who having someone large and nasty running at his channel - Manu Tuilagi? Jamie Roberts??

Yet everyone in this thread seems to consider his selection to be the only choice, he has been good for the Reds this year but still intermittently.
Personally I would do something like this:

9. Genia
10. Beale
11. Ioane
12. JOC
13. AAC
14. Mogg/Tomane (depending on what you're looking for, an out an out finisher or additional security from high balls)
15. Folau

There you have playmakers in your 9/10/12 and the potential to really do something special, and 3 amazing and versatile finishers in Ioane, Folau, AAC. Cooper can sod off as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure why everyone is so keen on Cooper, I guess Beale has been out of form but consider this:
- Cooper is a proven negative influence, already he has questioned the coach and the Wallaby environment, and selecting him would only give him a bigger sense of entitlement.
- He's a proven defensive liability playing against who having someone large and nasty running at his channel - Manu Tuilagi? Jamie Roberts??

Yet everyone in this thread seems to consider his selection to be the only choice, he has been good for the Reds this year but still intermittently.
Personally I would do something like this:

9. Genia
10. Beale
11. Ioane
12. JOC
13. AAC
14. Mogg/Tomane (depending on what you're looking for, an out an out finisher or additional security from high balls)
15. Folau

There you have playmakers in your 9/10/12 and the potential to really do something special, and 3 amazing and versatile finishers in Ioane, Folau, AAC. Cooper can sod off as far as I'm concerned.

Beale won't be playing gone to rehab.

If I was an Aussie I'd pick something like this (with some maybe leftfield selections)

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Timani
5. Horwill (c)
6. Higinbotham
7. Gill
8. Mowen
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Tapui
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. O'Connor
15. Folau

16. Polatau-Nau
17. Slipper
18. Kepu
19. Pyle
20. Smith
21. White
22. Lealifano
23. Mogg

I like your reasoning invictus. Agree with Hooper he is a more rounded player than gill and I like his running game. It's really hard to pick the wallabies side at the moment. And it's makes it harder knowing that deans may not pick the most inform players.
Personally I'd omit McCabe. He is solid but hasn't had the game time and got injured again last night. There are plenty of options at 12. Originally I had Tapuai, but his form has slumped so I'd go with Horne at the moment. There's a good chance deans will too. He's playing well, making the advantage line with most carries. Also keeps the tahs centres together. Other options could be Barnes, Lealiifano or faingaa. The back row is also hard to pick, it could look like 6 mowen 7 gill 8 higginbotham, or 6 mowen 7 hooper 8 palu.
I'll have another crack:
1robinson
2 moore
3 slipper
4 timani
5 horwill
6 mowen
7 hooper
8 higginbotham
9 genia
10 cooper
11 ionie
12 horne
13 aac
14 O'Connor
15 folau

16 hansen/ faingaa
17 Alexander
18 simmons/Pyle
19 gill
20 white
21 barnes
22 Lealiifano/tomane

assuming that smith/polota nau are injured, Beale away on a bender, burgess/mcmeniman don't get game time.

Last edited:
The only other option I'd consider would be Barnes. And I would definitely consider it. He controlled the game last night really well and has great defence, on top of that is a better kicker and slotting them well. Wouldn't be surprised if he does start in the wallaby 10. I just really rate coopers passing game and the way he takes on the line and creates space for others. I feel he will link better with the likes of folau, O'Connor, ionie.

•oconnor is an adequate super rugby 10 and plays too deep, not taking the ball to the line enough.
• Beale other than being unavailable, possibly but is much better at the back.
• Lealiifano only played 1 game at 10 this year and didnt impress.

25 man squad has been announced.
Wallabies squad:

Backs: Israel Folau, Digby Ioane, Joe Tomane, Nick Cummins, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Rob Horne, Pat McCabe, Christian Lealiifano, Berrick Barnes, James O'Connor, Will Genia

Forwards: Wycliff Palu, Michael Hooper, Liam Gill, Scott Higginbotham, Ben Mowen, Rob Simmons, James Horwill, Sitaleki Timani, James Slipper, Ben Alexander, Benn Robinson, Sekope Kepu, Stephen Moore, Saia Faingaa
Source: ABC

I think that squad is wrong is wrong pat acording to fox sports macabe was not picked
Wallabies Squad for Lions Tour
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...-nau-to-miss-out/story-e6frf55l-1226646146914
Ben Alexander
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Berrick Barnes
Nick Cummins
Dave Dennis
Saia Faingaa
Israel Folau
Will Genia
Liam Gill
Scott Higginbotham
Michael Hooper
Rob Horne
James Horwill
Digby Ioane
Sekope Kepu
Christian Lealiifano
Stephen Moore
Ben Mowen
James O'Connor
Wycliff Palu
Benn Robinson
Rob Simmons
James Slipper
Sitaleki Timani
Joe Tomane

oh god too many tahs for my liking big omissions would be Quade Cooper and Kurtly Beale but one of them will be in the 6 players added along with a halfback probably Luke Burgess. Surprise Barnes and Cummins were picked with such little super rugby time.My Team would be

1.Benn Robinson
2.Stephen Moore
3.James Slipper
4.Rob Simmons
5.James Horwill
6.Dave Dennis
7.Liam Gill
8.Scott Higginbotham
9.Will Genia
10.James O'Connor
11.Digby Ioane
12.Christian Lealiifano (thoa Deans will go with Horne)
13.Adam Ashley-Cooper
14.Nick Cummins/Tomane (too close but probally Cummins based on playing on the EOYT)
15.Israel Folau
16.Saia Faingaa
17.Ben Alexander
18.Sitaleki Timan
19.Michael Hooper
20.Wycliff Palu
21.Berrick Barnes
22.Half Back

Don't think the Australian squad will be the final group for the Lions. Another squad is to be named in the next week I believe.

A few days before the first test they'll be adding another six members, I believe. Of course, most of these players probably won't feature in the XV for the first game, and probably not in any others unless the Wallabies lose their first match by a canter.

I thin Deans is foolish to leave Cooper and Mogg out, both are in form and their replacements don't offer as much IMO. While JOC is a great 10 I don't see why he did just have both. Cooper and Genia offer such a threat and a well established pairing that the Lions won't have. Mogg while I dislike him because he looks like a rodent offers serious pace and a massive boot, Folau has been good but hes going to get his first caps against the Lions having only played Union for 6 months, not sure I'd want to take that risk, hes talented but I don't think the Lions is the place to find out if he has the head for top level rugby. Other than that it's the right squad.

I thin Deans is foolish to leave Cooper and Mogg out, both are in form and their replacements don't offer as much IMO. While JOC is a great 10 I don't see why he did just have both. Cooper and Genia offer such a threat and a well established pairing that the Lions won't have. Mogg while I dislike him because he looks like a rodent offers serious pace and a massive boot, Folau has been good but hes going to get his first caps against the Lions having only played Union for 6 months, not sure I'd want to take that risk, hes talented but I don't think the Lions is the place to find out if he has the head for top level rugby. Other than that it's the right squad.

Could not agree more He will geting the sack after this, you have to wonder wether deans does not want cooper cause he can't controll him or as payback for his comments las year. Genia is a better 9 with quade at 10 and we will see that in the first.

Latest posts