• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions vs Chiefs

Well, this was an entertaining watch. Firstly, this was a prolonged 7's game, and for some reason, both teams just forgot how to tackle. It's weird... I mean, these guys are professional players, and have probably been playing for over 15 years since they played for the first time as kids. How do they just forget how to tackle?

Anyway, it was quite a funny match to watch, and if i have to think about it, i reckon that there were less than 5 kicks (apart from chips and grubbers) the entire game. After 30 seconds, the Chiefs were right up against their line, and decided bugger it, we are going big, and ran all the way to the other end of the field and scored. The Lions followed suit, and both teams refused to kick anything away, no matter what. By the way, did anyone see Chavhanga run after Kahui during the lead up to that try in the first minute? It was like a Bugatti chase after a horse. Incredible pace!

Also, i was extremely impressed with the scrum-halves JP-Joubert, and whoever the hell that replacement was. Earl Rose was as **** as usual, spencer was great, and the wingers Chavhanga and Mjekevu were freaking amazing!

Also, on a final note, another record was broken in this game, which apart from the defence, was another reason there were so many tries. The record was set for the most ball movements from scrum-half to wing... Little bit of food for thought there, as this is an aspect of todays game that i feel has all but died out...

Can anyone imagine what would have happened if South Africa and Eng... er.... another good attacking team had played this way in a World Cup final??? Jeebus.

Would have been an amazing final. Though I'd like better defence then that. Tries wern't so much earned, but gifted.

I'd take a 18 try RWC in 2011 over the tryless games we always have - much better spectacle then the divide by 3 scores you see in easy NH rugby.

Oh, any SH will demolish any NH club team. Especially should the SH players in NH teams not play..

Typical. We witness a game that has never been played like this before, and there will probably never be a game like it again, but somehow some of you plonkers manage to turn this into a SH vs NH debate...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Feb 22 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh, any SH will demolish any NH club team....[/b]

That is they will demolish any NH club team that can't tackle :p

The minute you come across a side that can tackle like, oh I don't know, any team outside of Italy or Connaght then the Lions & Chiefs may well be in trouble!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Feb 22 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Typical. We witness a game that has never been played like this before, and there will probably never be a game like it again, but somehow some of you plonkers manage to turn this into a SH vs NH debate...[/b]

It's confirmed... The Super 14 must've started.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Feb 22 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh, any SH will demolish any NH club team. Especially should the SH players in NH teams not play..[/b]
Come to Thomond. RDS, Franklin Gardens or Welford Rd .... Come out alive and well we MIGHT change our views on that :p ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Feb 22 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
y2j.jpg

I'M THE BEST AT WHAT I DO![/b]

That was a really fun game to watch - one of the most remarkable games i have ever watched.
Just saw the highlights on sky's super 14 show. Really good attack from some of the players, but man, oh man! That was some awful defence as well.
It just shows how clinical the SH can be in attack when you don't step up your defence.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Feb 22 2010, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also, on a final note, another record was broken in this game, which apart from the defence, was another reason there were so many tries. The record was set for the most ball movements from scrum-half to wing... Little bit of food for thought there, as this is an aspect of todays game that i feel has all but died out...[/b]

That's a really good point actually.
For some reason the winger seems to be that last resort for most teams. If there's a turnover, yeah, they try and lash it out the the quickster on the wing, but with the rugby i've been watching lots it's just loads of scum halves popping up balls for the fatties to run 2 metres, or the scrum half sends a ball to no.10 just so he can set up a crash ball for the wing.
I've noticed the Super 14 teams use their wingers more whenever i watch the games, but not as much as they could.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 22 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Feb 22 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, any SH will demolish any NH club team....[/b]

That is they will demolish any NH club team that can't tackle :p

The minute you come across a side that can tackle like, oh I don't know, any team outside of Italy or Connaght then the Lions & Chiefs may well be in trouble!!
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 22 2010, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Feb 22 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, any SH will demolish any NH club team. Especially should the SH players in NH teams not play..[/b]
Come to Thomond. RDS, Franklin Gardens or Welford Rd .... Come out alive and well we MIGHT change our views on that :p ;)
[/b][/quote]

Thought I'd get more than 2. Still needs some work.

Fishing is an art form which takes years to perfect, old boy.

Unless of course you cheat and just say something about Ireland or an Irish province. They always bite with minimal effort - Even when a fair point is made.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 23 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fishing is an art form which takes years to perfect, old boy.

Unless of course you cheat and just say something about Ireland or an Irish province. They always bite with minimal effort - Even when a fair point is made.[/b]

Duely noted.

Well, my feelings is that this was a freak occurance; you have the Lions and Chiefs who have bad defence but have some dangerous runners (although the Chiefs are generally okay, the game has sped up and on the high veld they got tired). Other than that, scores haven't gone up much more than about 10 points. The Lions have always had problems with defence in the back; same as the Cheetahs. Here's hoping those guys can put the opposition under a bit more pressure while defending.

Stormers' defence is looking rock solid, though. Will be interesting to see how much the Brumbies can stretch it this weekend.

Latest posts