Llanelli Scarlets v Munster

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">
Llanelli.png
Llanelli Scarlets v Munster
Munster.png
</div>

The Scarlets are particularly hard hit for this visit of Heineken Cup finalists Munster, with caretaker coach Paul Moriarty going for a new combination in the centre with Nathan Brew playing alongside Gavin Evans.

Munster face no such problems with only backup players Barry Murphy and Niall Ronan missing out through injury so for Declan Kidney it's the same 22 which lined up against Saracens last weekend.

Llanelli Scarlets: Morgan Stoddart; Dafydd James, Gavin Evans, Nathan Brew, Matthew Watkins; Stephen Jones (capt), Gavin Cattle; Iestyn Thomas, Matthew Rees, Deacon Manu, Vernon Cooper, Scott MacLeod, Dafydd Jones, Gavin Thomas, Nathan Thomas.

Replacements: Phil John, Mahonri Schwalger, Lou Reed, James Bater, Liam Davies, Rhys Priestland, Darren Daniel.

Munster: D Hurley; D Howlett, L Mafi, R Tipoki, I Dowling; R O'Gara, T O'Leary; M Horan, J Flannery, J Hayes, D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell©, A Quinlan, D Wallace, D Leamy.

Replacements: F Sheahan, F Pucciariello, M O'Driscoll, D Ryan, P Stringer, P Warwick, A Horgan.

Referee: Neil Paterson (SRU).

Strong Squad for Stradey
1 May 2008, 4:00 pm
By Pat Geraghty

Munster will send their strongest possible squad to Wales for the weekend Magners League clash with Llanelli Scarlets, this being Munster's third away game in the space of six days.
Obviously excluded from the squad that travelled to Coventry for the Heineken Cup semi final win over Saracens are Barry Murphy and Niall Ronan who both sustained hand injuries in the game last night in Ravenhill.
Murphy could certainly be excused if he refused to travel to Belfast in the near future, if ever again. Last night was the third successive occasion that he has left the north injured. Back in 2006, after he had established himself in the number 13 jersey a horrific ankle injury ended a season that culminated in Heineken Cup glory. Murphy watched the final that day from the stands in the company of among other walking wounded Christian Cullen and Frank Sheahan and once again he will miss the final having dislocated his thumb last night which rules him out for 4-6 weeks just after he had fought his way back from the shoulder injury suffered in the A game against Ulster in Shaws Bridge.

Ronan's situation is worse in that he suffered a dislocation and a fracture (thumb) that rules him out for 6-8 weeksl while Keith Earls who was forced off the bench with a stomach complaint is recovering but is not included in the squad for Wales.

Munster's Llanelli squad trained today in Garryowen FC without the players on duty last night but those who may be involved with their AIL League clubs at the weekend will train with their clubs this evening

Munster: D Hurley, S Payne, D Howlett, I Dowling, K Lewis, B Carney, A Horgan, R Tipoki, L Mafi, P Stringer, T O’Leary, P Warwick, R O’Gara, M Horan, F Pucciariello, J Hayes, T Buckley, F Sheahan, J Flannery, D O’Callaghan, M O’Driscoll, P O’Connell, D Ryan, A Quinlan, D Wallace, D Leamy, A Foley.

Just the 15 changes to the starting lineup for Munster but unsurprisingly it's the same 15 which started against Saracens with the only change on the bench as Anthony Horgan comes in for Barry Murphy.

Good luck to all the real Munster fans traveling to the match. I wonder how many of the heineken cup hangers-on will be there. My guess not many, they will be saving up for Cardiff. Shame on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Munster fans have always been bandwagoners nothing new there.
[/b]
An Tarbh with you being a Leinster lad I presume you are not the most impartial but I was under the impression that in the old days (pre HCup) Munster fans were superb. Bearing in mind I was told this in a pub in Gloster by a Munster fan. Whats happend to them?

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
An Tarbh with you being a Leinster lad I presume you are not the most impartial but I was under the impression that in the old days (pre HCup) Munster fans were superb. Bearing in mind I was told this in a pub in Gloster by a Munster fan. Whats happend to them?
[/b][/quote]

Well while there's a certain element within both provinces where animosity towards each other is developing/has developed it isn't the case with me, I just call things as I see them, look at the Munster Heineken Cup crowds in the 90s and you'll see I'm right and before anyone gets precious and starts predictably having a go at Leinster, why bother I know our numbers were nothing to write home about either.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Well while there's a certain element within both provinces where animosity towards each other is developing/has developed it isn't the case with me, I just call things as I see them, look at the Munster Heineken Cup crowds in the 90s and you'll see I'm right and before anyone gets precious and starts predictably having a go at Leinster, why bother I know our numbers were nothing to write home about either.
[/b][/quote]
You are so right , they cant now pretend that they are the so called " best fans in the world" you have to have history and follow your team no matter what the results. When Glos were struggling in the early 90`s our ave attendance was still 8,000. During that time we were battling it out with West Hartlepool. That is hard-core fans and "real" passion, not some dick dressed up as a Leprechaun!!!!!!!!! Munster be proud of your team ( cos you deserve to be proud ) but dont make out that you are for real in the passion stakes.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
You are so right , they cant now pretend that they are the so called " best fans in the world" you have to have history and follow your team no matter what the results. When Glos were struggling in the early 90`s our ave attendance was still 8,000. During that time we were battling it out with West Hartlepool. That is hard-core fans and "real" passion, not some dick dressed up as a Leprechaun!!!!!!!!! Munster be proud of your team ( cos you deserve to be proud ) but dont make out that you are for real in the passion stakes.
[/b][/quote]

Well you're not comparing like with like, Munster have only been playing regularly each season since 2001 and for the 6 years prior to that they only had the Heineken Cup and the Interpros so it's not an easy thing to build up so in fairness to the Irish provinces we've all done reasonably well to get where we are today, yeah there's bandwagoners for every side but that's always been the case.

It shows where Munster are when people are complaining that they only took 20000 fans to an away semi-final in a Heineken Cup, look at the crowd that was at the Ricoh Arena last year when Wasps played Northampton. Complaining about the away side having 20000 fans I ask you what's the world coming to. a true test of the Irish fans, whatever province they may follow will come in 20 or 30 years and whether they still have the numbers following them that they do today

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Well you're not comparing like with like, Munster have only been playing regularly each season since 2001 and for the 6 years prior to that they only had the Heineken Cup and the Interpros so it's not an easy thing to build up so in fairness to the Irish provinces we've all done reasonably well to get where we are today, yeah there's bandwagoners for every side but that's always been the case.

It shows where Munster are when people are complaining that they only took 20000 fans to an away semi-final in a Heineken Cup, look at the crowd that was at the Ricoh Arena last year when Wasps played Northampton. Complaining about the away side having 20000 fans I ask you what's the world coming to. a true test of the Irish fans, whatever province they may follow will come in 20 or 30 years and whether they still have the numbers following them that they do today
[/b][/quote]
Well if we are not comparing like for like why the hell are club teams from England playing Provinces from Ireland. Imagine a South West team that prepares all season only for Heineken cup games and plays in a league that is only a warm up for the "real thing". Who do you think would be in the final. Personally I`d dress up as a cornish pasty and run onto the pitch ,****** up, at the end of the game congratulating my own team and then go on TRF and say how great "our" fans are!

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Well if we are not comparing like for like why the hell are club teams from England playing Provinces from Ireland. Imagine a South West team that prepares all season only for Heineken cup games and plays in a league that is only a warm up for the "real thing". Who do you think would be in the final. Personally I`d dress up as a cornish pasty and run onto the pitch ,****** up, at the end of the game congratulating my own team and then go on TRF and say how great "our" fans are!
[/b][/quote]

Well we went with a structure that would work for us in the Professional era, there's no way the likes of Shannon, Garryowen, Blackrock et al would have survived in a professional setup, it made sense for the IRFU to go with the Provincial setup cause our clubs didn't have the sugar daddies that most English or French clubs for that matter did. Besides your argument is pointless as there'd be no identification with a South West region whereas Irish people have always identified with their provinces making it much easier for the IRFU to go down that route.

Late penalty seals Munster win
by Niamh O'Mahony, 03 May 2008

A Paul Warwick penalty ten minutes into injury time snatched an unlikely Magners League victory for Munster against The Llanelli Scarlets on Saturday afternoon.

The Heineken Cup finalists were 20-5 down at half time, but, with a strong breeze at their backs after the interval, Declan Kidney's side clawed their way back into the contest, eventually claiming all the spoils.

Ian Dowling crossed over for the game's first try with just four minutes on the clock, but Ronan O'Gara missed the conversion and from there The Scarlets dominated the remainder of the half.

Munster struggled in the windy conditions, in particular at the breakdown, with Stephen Jones picking off his penalty opportunities to edge the home side 6-5 ahead.

In a blow for the visitors David Wallace was sent to the sin bin on 21 minutes and over the next ten, it was The Scarlets who hammered home their numerical advantage.

First over was Dafydd James, just before the half-hour mark, before Matthew Watkins notched up his 30th try in the Magners League three minutes later.

In a move that will concern Munster's legions of supporters, however, Federico Pucciariello was introduced for Marcus Horan shortly before the break.

O'Gara missed an early penalty from near the half-way line minutes after the break, but nailed a second within four minutes to suggest that they could be a tide on hand for turning.

The same breeze that had caused Munster such problems in the first half hindered Llanelli in the second, and it was from a failed attempted kick from the sideline that the Irish side's second try came.

The kick was gathered by full-back Denis Hurley whose break forward eventually saw Dowling over for his second. Jones added a penalty for The Scarlets against the run of play on the hour mark and it was a full ten minutes before another score.

By that stage Paul Warwick had taken over the kicking duties from O'Gara and he duly dispatched his first attempted kick on 68 minutes, reducing the gap to seven points.

Warwick probably thought he had secured at least a draw six minutes into added time when he went over for a try. He missed the conversion, however, but when Munster ran the ball from the re-start, the Australian kicker was handed the chance to claim all the match points when the visitors were awarded a penalty with 90 minutes on the clock.

This time round Warwick split the posts, leaving The Scarlets interim coach Paul Moriarty with a tough defeat to swallow.

Setanta Sports

Latest posts