• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

London Irish v Munster

Not worried too much about the pack. I'm more worried about their massive backs running down the 9-10 and 13 channel all day. Sam T can't babysit all of our backs!!

Tuitupou in the bin for a late spear on Hodgson
Thought Hodgson has broken his wrist at first, luckily he's alright
Earls and Armitage in a bit of handbags as well

Not a bad game so far, both teams playing with intensity

Edit: All over.
Munster got the losing BP which is something i suppose.
Bit gutted, i had money of Topsy Ohjo first try with Munster winning by 1-5pts, very nearly had it :lol:
Wallace made a big impact when he came on, and Tuitopou, apart from his binning, played well.
Lamb and Armitage were the best players for L.I, imo

Last edited:
Woohoo great result for us and a massive loosing BP.
We badly need to work on set pieces. Varley was awful today and well I think Quinny is desperately needed next week. Also I thought Coughlan did well but still great point but fair play to London Irish and I'll admit we didn't even deserve the BP in a way but again will fly home to Shannon happy enough.

LI collapsed in the last few minutes. Munster wheeled their scrum, got penalty, took clean lineout, Wallace broke midfield defence at last, and ROG threaded it through. They couldn't do any of that all game, and LI just bottled it.

BP gives Munster the edge in this group for second place.

CLASSIC MUNSTER they went to reading were paitent, pounced when LI lost focus and left with what they wanted.

CLASSIC MUNSTER they went to reading were paitent, pounced when LI lost focus and left with what they wanted.

Really? Looks to me as if LI took their foot off the pedal and Munster got a losing bp. Hardly what they were looking for.

Shtove just asking how do it give us a great foot for 2nd place when reality is after next weekend all 4 teams will probably be on 4/5 points and well I think group wide open still for everyone.
Can't wait to be back in ireland and roll on next weekend back in thomond.
Also must say ref was good today and well the atmosphere was excellent in stadium

Thought the atmosphere (from the TV, anyhow) seemed the best in that match of the three I watched today

Pleased at that result - cannot wait to see Lamb Vs Wilkinson when they play next.

Can't stand Berdos ant think his interpretation of everything is wrong all the time.

That said Munster had the tactical brain of badly designed AI from the Nintendo 64 and didn't deserve to win. Thought they just about deserve the bonus point for EFFORT.

The stupid McGahon philosophy of 'run from anywhere' doesn't work. Territory first. Earls was good. Looked lively. Besides that. Blah.

Armitage wasn't that good by the way. Made a couple of good runs but kicked the ball out on the full three times which just isn't acceptable.

The stupid McGahon philosophy of 'run from anywhere' doesn't work. Territory first.
I whole heartedly disagree with this. Running from deep isn't a problem; you have to play what's in front of you and if an opportunity presents itself you've got to take it. If Munster were running it from deep al the time despite no opportunity presenting itself that's down to poor game management from the players, not the coach.

My take on the game is that for all their possession, Munster looked impotent and devoid of ideas in attack for the second week running. O'Gara had a pretty good game at 10 but put him beside Stringer and it's obvious that the half backs won't pose a running threat so defences can fan out on the centres. Tuitupou is no more than a bosher and Earls is feeling his way back towards full fitness. All those factors contributed to Munster's lack of cutting edge behind the scrum.

Positives were rescuing a bonus point while youngsters Duncan Williams and Mike Sherry were blooded.

Negatives were the non existent cutting edge, the powder puff scrum, shambolic lineout and dodgy team selection. Paul Warwick, David Wallace and Mick O'Driscoll should force their way into the team next week. If Jerry Flannery is fit (he got 40 minutes for Shannon on Friday), he too could push Damien Varley out of the starting lineup. I'd also argue that Alan Quinlan should be reinstated to the bench at least. You won't get anywhere with Niall Ronan and James Coughlan.

I whole heartedly disagree with this. Running from deep isn't a problem; you have to play what's in front of you and if an opportunity presents itself you've got to take it. If Munster were running it from deep al the time despite no opportunity presenting itself that's down to poor game management from the players, not the coach.

My take on the game is that for all their possession, Munster looked impotent and devoid of ideas in attack for the second week running. O'Gara had a pretty good game at 10 but put him beside Stringer and it's obvious that the half backs won't pose a running threat so defences can fan out on the centres. Tuitupou is no more than a bosher and Earls is feeling his way back towards full fitness. All those factors contributed to Munster's lack of cutting edge behind the scrum.

Positives were rescuing a bonus point while youngsters Duncan Williams and Mike Sherry were blooded.

Negatives were the non existent cutting edge, the powder puff scrum, shambolic lineout and dodgy team selection. Paul Warwick, David Wallace and Mick O'Driscoll should force their way into the team next week. If Jerry Flannery is fit (he got 40 minutes for Shannon on Friday), he too could push Damien Varley out of the starting lineup. I'd also argue that Alan Quinlan should be reinstated to the bench at least. You won't get anywhere with Niall Ronan and James Coughlan.

Well how can you approve of the running tactic when you just said they've been impotent behind the scrum.

What I approve of is heads up rugby. For example, in the Leinster v Racing Metro game, a territory first approach wouldn't have lead to Strauss and McFadden's tries. If a gap presents itself you've to take it no matter the position on the field or the situation in the game. I never said blindly run everything from all over the pitch but playing purely for territory is redundant now. Kick away possession and you won't get the ball back given the way the breakdown is now refereed.

Really? Looks to me as if LI took their foot off the pedal and Munster got a losing bp. Hardly what they were looking for.

Thats the point, Munster don't care when or how they got the point but they got it. They were looking for a Bonus point from this game and they got it. 'Taking your foot off the pedal' its a poor excuse for any team. There always a reason why a team 'lets their foot of the gas' and thats because the opposition forces them to, Munster pressured LI wore them out untill they lost concentration and munster took the oppoutunity. Don't get me wrong London Irish were the better team and Munster were poor in the set piece and looked like the had never played with each other but Istill think Munster will take a bonus point.

Thats the point, Munster don't care when or how they got the point but they got it. They were looking for a Bonus point from this game and they got it. 'Taking your foot off the pedal' its a poor excuse for any team. There always a reason why a team 'lets their foot of the gas' and thats because the opposition forces them to, Munster pressured LI wore them out untill they lost concentration and munster took the oppoutunity. Don't get me wrong London Irish were the better team and Munster were poor in the set piece and looked like the had never played with each other but Istill think Munster will take a bonus point.

I thought they'd be looking for a win myself. I know I'm aiming for 9 points off Saracens.

LI were not great, we're not in the best place if we're falling short to them. Hopefully they'll kick on and win the rest of their matches like always, but i just feel this is the year we don't make it out of the pool stages...........

Agree that we lacked that spark in the backs but I wouldn't slam McGahan because he is trying things and well hopefully if we get a win against Toulon then we will be back on the right track. And well we have the benefit that if Toulon are out of the group early then when we go to France we could face a second string Toulon. But ulitimately we know if we win vs Toulon in Thomond our faith relies massively on rounds 3/4

This is a tough year for Munster. Their in a tough group and their going through a phase of changing players. LI may not ne the best team and I know they haven't beaten anyone really good tems in the premiership but they are still top and they have alot of confidence at the moment. Munster are also missing a few players plus they playd a side that really looked like one for a magners league match. so taking that all into account an away Bonus point is a good result.

I disagree with Monkeypigeon, in fact I think we kicked the ball too much. Whenever we attacked from deep we looked dangerous, play what is in front of you. If it is on, go for it.

Latest posts