London Irish v Scarlets

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
LondonIrish.png
V
Scarlets.png
</div>

Irish have the chance to take control of this group especially as Leinster's form in France leaves an awful lot to be desired, Irish could find themselves with a substantial lead in this pool by the end of the day.

They'll probably have more of a chance to cut loose and get the bonus point than they would have in last weekend's attritional affair.

The Scarlets have been hit and miss so far and will need a big step up in their performances, certainly in the ML to pose Irish any problems.

Anything other than a bp win for Irish for me would be quite a shock.

Ryan Lamb comes in for Chris Malone and Murphy is in for Darmody in the only changes from the side which beat Leinster.

London Irish: 15. Peter Hewat, 14. Tom Homer, 13. Elvis Seveali'i, 12. Seilala Mapusua, 11. Sailosi Tagicakibau, 10. Ryan Lamb, 9. Paul Hodgson, 1. Dan Murphy, 2. David Paice, 3. Faan Rautenbach, 4. Nick Kennedy, 5. Bob Casey (capt), 6. Declan Danaher, 7. George Stowers, 8. Chris Hala'Ufia

Replacements: 16. Danie Coetzee, 17. Clarke Dermody, 18. Paulica Ion, 19. Andy Perry, 20. Richard Thorpe, 21. Peter Richards, 22. Chris Malone, 23. Alfredo Lalanne

For the Scarlets there's no changes to the side which beat Brive.

Scarlets: 15. Daniel Evans, 14. Lee Williams, 13. Sean Lamont, 12. Jon Davies, 11. Mark Jones (capt), 10. Stephen Jones, 9. Martin Roberts, 1. Iestyn Thomas, 2. Matthew Rees, 3. Deacon Manu, 4. Lou Reed, 5. Dominic Day, 6. Simon Easterby, 7. Dafydd Jones, 8. David Lyons

Replacements: 16. Ken Owens, 17. Phil John, 18. Jamie Corsi, 19. Vernon Cooper, 20. Richard Pugh, 21. Tavis Knoyle, 22. Rhys Priestland, 23. Rob Higgitt,

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 15 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anything other than a bp win for Irish for me would be quite a shock.[/b]

Really? Prepare to be shocked then An Tarbh, as I can't see them getting a BP win. The Scarlets have played one poor match so far this season (against Edinburough I think, or was it Glasgow?). Last week they appeared hugely impressive, although that was just from the highlights, but from interviews etc. they seriously outplayed Brive.

I've gone for a draw in my predictions, although that's probably hugley ambitious, but I can see the Scarlets sneaking a loosing bonus point.

Last week will have given them huge confidence, something they've been lacking for a while, so I expect them to score a couple of tries of their own. Couple that with a much better defense than in the last couple of years, and alot of people may get shocked.

Jon Davies being fit is a huge boost, as he's been one of their bast players so far this season. With Lamont beside him, that's a seriously dangerous midfield that can and have ripped teams to shreds.

Dafydd Jones is also on fire at the moment, probably the best performing backrow player in Wales. And alongside Easterby (who's back playing well) and Lyons, it's a strong unit.

A Scarlets win is probably asking too much, but they'll be there or thereabouts in this match imo.

I disagree. I see London Irish hammering us. I don't think we're good enough to compete with the likes of Irish and Leinster yet, especially not away from home.

Fair enough, we'll wait and see what happens then. I know results haven't gone their way, but they have been performing well this season. I've been especially impressed with their pack, and if the front 8 go well again, then they'l certainly be in this game. I probably have a bit too much faith in the youngsters playing, but oh well.

I think the Scarlets still look like they can score tries for fun, I just dont think they have learned how to stop them going in the other end.

They look a bit fragile at the moment, and LI are bang on form.

Unfortunately I can only see one winner but come on the Scarlets.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 16 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 15 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anything other than a bp win for Irish for me would be quite a shock.[/b]

Really? Prepare to be shocked then An Tarbh, as I can't see them getting a BP win. The Scarlets have played one poor match so far this season (against Edinburough I think, or was it Glasgow?).
[/b][/quote]
That'd be Ulster (40-something to 20-something). They looked the better team against Glasgow, but ultimatly lost. Same against Munster. I agree a win would be asking for too much, but they'll push hard. I think the Scarlets'll come away with the Bonus Point.

Scarlets Team:

1 Iestyn Thomas, 2 Matthew Rees, 3 Deacon Manu, 4 Lou Reed, 5 Dominic Day, 6 Simon Easterby, 7 Dafydd Jones, 8 David Lyons; 9 Martin Roberts, 10 Stephen Jones, 11 Mark Jones ©, 12 Jonathan Davies, 13 Sean Lamont, 14 Lee Williams, 15 Daniel Evans.

Reps: 16 Ken Owens, 17 Phil John, 18 Jamie Corsi, 19 Vernon Cooper, 20 Richie Pugh, 21 Tavis Knoyle, 22 Rhys Priestland, 23 Rob Higgitt.

Pretty much identical to last weak, bar the bench.

Sky not showing another match. Why can't the rights be passed on to someone who wants them if Sky can't be arsed to televise the game? BBC2 Wales or S4C would jump at the chance to show this game live!

Considering the kinda sports Sky show in their extra channel etc. (I noticed womens american pool and netball yesterday!), surely the rugby would gain them more viewers than them!

11-10 the London Irish so far. Dan Evans has scored a try, Stephen converting it and adding a penalty. Drop Goal and Pen for Ryan Lamb, and a try for Danaher on the Exiles side of things.

Another try to both sides: Mark Jones for the Scarlets and Seveali'i for Irish. Lamb gets the conversion, Jones misses. 18-15 to LI

Tom Holmer Yellow Carded, Stephen Jones strikes another penalty to bring the scores level. 18-18.

Scarlets take the lead with a Jones penalty. 18 - 21. Hope this isn't a short-lived lead...

It was at 54 minutes they took the lead. That was about ten minutes ago. At the very least, hopefully they can get a bonus point and deny Irish one themselves.

Converted try for LI pulls them away slightly but a penalty from Jones reduces their lead to a point. Few minutes left.

20 seconds to go. 25-27 to the Scarlets...

EDIT: SCARLETS HAVE WON IT!!

Blimey.

Well done scarlets!
To beat Irish at home is no mean feat, especially considering their recent form
Sounds like it would've been a cracking game to see

I presume so, the live ticker think on the HEC site said that Jones last conversion was at 78 minutes, and that was about 6minutes ago

Latest posts