• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Looking for a home team

H

Hosscooper

Well I'm from Texas, but have come to Love rugby alot. I play here in the states when I can. I'm 36 so work and family take alot of time. I have been keeping up with mangers leauge, and heinekin cup sort of, but have not really settled on a specific team which to support. So far I am leaning toward Cardiff or Glasgow, but don't know anything about any team across the pond. Here in the states the home team is The Dallas Cowboys, but American football players get on my nerves with their attitudes, and antics. So I'm looking for a friend to help me learn about a new Home town and team. If anybody is intrested in an e-mail friend please post or send me a pm. I look forward to talking with y'all. HOSSC.

From Magners, pick the Scarlets, purely because they're the team i support :p

Out of Cardiff and Glasgow, i'd pick Cardiff, but that's just because i live in Wales atm, so have a fondness for all the welsh sides

What kind of thing do you want to know about the teams?
With the welsh ones, they're fairly new as they went regional a few years back (split the country into five regions, each has a team (one team went bust, so it's region was merged)) so they don't have massive amounts of history

I'd support Leinster or Munster. A lot of American people love Ireland and go for Irish teams. These two are the most succesful teams in the magners league.

Just don't pick the Ospreys for the love of god. They'll drive you mad every weekend!

From the Welsh regions, I'd suggest the Scarlets or Dragons. And from those two, if you love open rugby, go for the Scarlets, it's the only way they know how to play. They've been poor for the last two seasons, but appear to be back big time! A young squad packed full of talent and future Welsh international players. The Dragon's however are the underdogs, that fight for every point in every game, for the full 80. They've improved hugely this season though, their very young squad starting to prodice the wins, and starting to spread the ball a bit more.

I'd suggest you try to catch some games online ( via streaming orso) and then pick the team that appeals the most to you.
Most people support a team because they're from the region, like a player/players or just because the team is succesfull.

In the Heineken cup I support Toulouse as Bryon Kelleher plays for them ( former Chiefs)
In France Toulon ( Tana is the coach of the backs) :) and Perpignan. Just because that are the games that are being broadcasted on Eurosport.

In england I support for Sale, due to Luke McCalister. But most of my attention goes to the S14 and ANZC.
Maybe it's not a bad thought what you search in a team.

Good luck

I decided to do something like this for the Super 14 next year, just to try and increase my interest in the competetion. I just used a random number generator http://www.random.org/ to pick one. Anyway, I'm supporting the Sharks now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mick @ Dec 7 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I decided to do something like this for the Super 14 next year, just to try and increase my interest in the competetion. I just used a random number generator http://www.random.org/ to pick one. Anyway, I'm supporting the Sharks now.[/b]

I did this too! Picked the Northampton Saints. I'm even starting to get upset when they lose now! :lol:

As a 'new' supporter I'd suggest you pick an up-and-coming team rather than one of the leading teams, currently or historically. That way you have an invested interest rather than just tagging along if you get what I am trying to say? Not that I follow my own advice as I support Munster in the League but that has to do with WP & Stormers center Jean de Villiers signing up with them recently.

Same goes for Racing Metro (Steyntjie, Paris and also newly promoted with wuite similar kit to that of WP and especially my 2nd fav international team Argentina!!) in French top14. I refuse to support SAracens, though as I think they have taken it too far. Still undecided in the Premiership and would also appreciate any help in this regard as it makes watching foreign rugby more interesting. Would probably go for a team as near as possible to London as I wouldn't really have any interests in other regions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Dec 7 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As a 'new' supporter I'd suggest you pick an up-and-coming team rather than one of the leading teams, currently or historically. That way you have an invested interest rather than just tagging along if you get what I am trying to say? Not that I follow my own advice as I support Munster in the League but that has to do with WP & Stormers center Jean de Villiers signing up with them recently.

Same goes for Racing Metro (Steyntjie, Paris and also newly promoted with wuite similar kit to that of WP and especially my 2nd fav international team Argentina!!) in French top14. I refuse to support SAracens, though as I think they have taken it too far. Still undecided in the Premiership and would also appreciate any help in this regard as it makes watching foreign rugby more interesting. Would probably go for a team as near as possible to London as I wouldn't really have any interests in other regions.[/b]

The first time I visited the UK, I had just turned 16, just finished playing my first season of rugby, and Leicester had just won the Heineken. So with all the hooplah about it, it was a natural choice for myself. Then, when I first started watching rugby in '05-'06, I got caught up in Munster's march to their first Heineken cup (at the time oblivious to the history between my two favorite teams), and now support them as well. Also, if you have any family ties to a certain Euro country, that can help you decide. I have a fair amount of Scottish heritage, and they are my main squeeze in international (grand slam '10!) and I pull for their clubs anytime they aren't playing Leicester or Munster. Honestly I'd say watch some Heineken cup and decide from there. Generally, you will see a side's best rugby played their, and you get a good sense of the character of a team

JdV, check out London Irish. I got into them in their first breakout season ('05 or '06 I think) when they finished 4th. They play some class rugby, very fun to watch and they have some superb, less well known players.

Want to see your team win? Munster or Leinster are for you.

Want to see a side with heart, sole and a dedication to the badge? The Newport Gwent Dragons are your men.

Want to see the most frustrating performances you possibly could? Watch the Ospreys or Cardiff Blues.

Want to see every game ruined by rain? Conacht for you.

Want to see a rather poor side occasionaly punch above their weight? Make your pick from Ulster and Glasgow, sir.

Want to see exciting Rugby at the cost of results? Go for the Scarlets.

Are you Scottish? Edinburgh, then.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 8 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Support Connacht. Someone has to.[/b]

Connacht have two dediated supporters here already...try Wasps.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Dec 21 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Want to see a side with heart, sole and a dedication to the badge? The Newport Gwent Dragons are your men.

Want to see the most frustrating performances you possibly could? Watch the Ospreys or Cardiff Blues.

Want to see every game ruined by rain? Connacht for you.

Want to see a rather poor side occasionaly punch above their weight? Make your pick from Ulster and Glasgow, sir.

Are you Scottish? Edinburgh, then.[/b]

Ulster are class bai....well most depth in the backrow in the Magners league anyway (and nobody outside of Ireland know who any of them are except Stephen Ferris and they lost Best and Wilson 2 years ago. Un-fricken-believable.).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Dec 21 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Who's Wilson?[/b]

Roger Wilson....won the Ulster Player of the Year the year he left (well he came second to Richie McCaw....but we call him Ulster Player of the Year anyway).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 21 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 8 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Dec 21 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Ulster are class bai....well most depth in the backrow in the Magners league anyway (and nobody outside of Ireland know who any of them are except Stephen Ferris and they lost Best and Wilson 2 years ago. Un-fricken-believable.).
[/b][/quote]

Most depth in the league, sir? The Cardiff Blues second back-row is a back-row of three Wales regulars (Well, Sowden-Taylor was last year). Rush, Williams and Molatika as the first choice, Powell, Warburton and Sowden-Taylor as second. None of which are bad players.

The Ospreys aren't bad either- Ryan Jones, Jon Thomas, Jerry Collins, Fiiiilllooooo, Marty Holah, ect. I'm not syaing Ulsters' are bad, though.

And it's a 15-man game, not a 3-man game. You could have the best back row in the world but if the rest of the team was hopeless, then you wouldn't get any further forward. (Or in the Blues case, world-class players almost everywhere but halfbacks, meaning that they're totally inadiquate.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Dec 22 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 21 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 8 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Most depth in the league, sir? The Cardiff Blues second back-row is a back-row of three Wales regulars (Well, Sowden-Taylor was last year). Rush, Williams and Molatika as the first choice, Powell, Warburton and Sowden-Taylor as second. None of which are bad players.

The Ospreys aren't bad either- Ryan Jones, Jon Thomas, Jerry Collins, Fiiiilllooooo, Marty Holah, ect. I'm not syaing Ulsters' are bad, though.

And it's a 15-man game, not a 3-man game. You could have the best back row in the world but if the rest of the team was hopeless, then you wouldn't get any further forward. (Or in the Blues case, world-class players almost everywhere but halfbacks, meaning that they're totally inadiquate.)
[/b][/quote]

Ulster have Ferris, Faloon, Pollock, Henry and Robbie Diack all of whom are very good players (except the last guy....he's just a good player, no adjective for him) but the great thing is that the oldest of them is Chris Henry who's only like 25.

But truth be told I was only standing up for Ulster. :s.

Anf Cardiff have world-class players almost every where but halfbacks...we really over-use the phrase 'World Class'. We need to make a 'linear scale of classness' to give people more options. 1. Absolute Useless Cack - through to - 10. One of the Best in the World. 9. Can be World-Class.

There's something for someone to do while they're bored.

Surely "World Class" means they are one of the best in the world? That's what I always thought it meant.

Latest posts