• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Luke mcalister: the greatest player

How do you rate Luke mcalister?

• Total voters
He has been good, although his goal kicking hasn't been too reliable. Certainly looks like he is enjoying being out of the pressure of the NZ public and media.

He has been a very good player for Sale and Toulouse and he even played some good rugby for the Blues. However he was never a good All Black. I don't think you can blame the coaches for that either, he just wasn't able to make the transition to test rugby.

He has been a very good player for Sale and Toulouse and he even played some good rugby for the Blues. However he was never a good All Black. I don't think you can blame the coaches for that either, he just wasn't able to make the transition to test rugby.

Disagree. He was awsome for the All Blacks before he left (barring the 2007 QF). Certainly didn't look out of his depth the same way almost every other 1st 5/8th compared to Carter had. He just left when he was too young, and came back with too many injuries and a lack of confidence.

Since his return he was had a crap load of injuries and never really got oppertunities for the All Blacks. I think if he was selected to fill in for Dan Carter and stayed there through 2009, he would have gotten back to his best.

In any other country he'd have been a superstar. But as was said above, Dan Carter kept a lot of good inside backs at bay during his career. I love watching him on Eurosport every weekend, he is having a great season.

That he is - I only wish he'd prefer to come back to rainy Stockport rather than sunny south-of-France :p
He did some great things in a Sale shirt, despite being injured a lot of the time

In any other country he'd have been a superstar. But as was said above, Dan Carter kept a lot of good inside backs at bay during his career. I love watching him on Eurosport every weekend, he is having a great season.

He could have been a Superstar in NZ if he hadn't left at the age of 24. His best position was (and still is) 12, so he wasn't competing with Dan Carter for a position. He was easily the top ranked 12 in the country when he left, and his main competition for the jersey (Aaron Mauger) had already signed to play at Leicester. Had he stayed I firmly believe he would have close to 70 AB's caps to his name, be Rugby World Cup winner, and be held in a very similar regard to Dan Carter.....

Last edited:
He could have been a Superstar in NZ if he hadn't left at the age of 24. His best position was (and still is) 12, so he wasn't competing with Dan Carter for a position. He was easily the top ranked 12 in the country when he left, and his main competition for the jersey (Aaron Mauger) had already signed to play at Leicester. Had he stayed I firmly believe he would have close to 70 AB's caps to his name, be Rugby World Cup winner, and be held in a very similar regard to Dan Carter.....

Have to agree. Although now Nonu is the best 2nd 5/8th in the world, McAlister had a lot more potential for a brillaint all round game. It was his poor career move that cost him.

:D I stand corrected. Think my memory was mixing him up with other players.

Latest posts