• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Luncheon - the food thread

Tesco also deliver to Dordogneshire but not that many French customers more expats they must have their baked beans !!!!!!!!, M et S closed down in Nice no businesss.

did the person who wrote the article actally find out whether they were all expats or French i doubt it

Last edited:
when was that? The stores in Paris etc.... are new, in the last year or so, they are popping up everywhere, and it's actually cheaper going there than to Monoprix or Carrefour

I was in a small town near Limoge in the summer, wandered into a tiny bistro and just asked for the plat du jour. Five minutes later I was being serves huge slices of freshly cooked steak, chips and had a basket of bread in front of me. All for less than 10Euro.

That, is how you do it.

Didn't the last food thread we did turn I to a massive debate on French food as well?

Didn't the last food thread we did turn I to a massive debate on French food as well?

It's hard for it not to.... to be fair all i wanted was to know what you reprobates had for lunch as i was stuffed from some top nosh.

I think the Italians beat the French for food overall, just because, as @goodNumber10 says, the quality of their food is high on every level. The French might rule the Michelin starred places, but most of us go to one of those maybe a few times in a lifetime. What makes Italian great is the delicious, fresh, perfectly-balanced €2 caprese salad you get in a crappy little trattoria in a crappy little town. They can be pretty boring and parochial about their food, but they do do it well. It just permeates their culture so deeply, you feel like it's like a mark of shame to serve a bad dish - what struck me, is how good a meal you can buy in the really touristy parts of Rome. Every major tourist city in the world, you know if you go for a meal in the middle of the tourist zone in tourist season you'll pay too much for bad food, except Rome - it's overpriced, but the quality doesn't drop.

Objective innit m9?!! I love French and Italian, not so keen on Asian. Portuguese is my favourite.

Portugues, not a standard call for "best cuisine", but yeah, I get it, a bit underrated. Largely fish/seafood and very meaty stews in my experience? You'd love where I live, it's basically Little Portugal in London, I've been eating pasteles de nata, those little custard tarts, pretty much daily recently. Actually, I might pop down and have another one now ...

I think the Spanish are unfairly overlooked in the discussions of great cuisines. Suffers slightly from having a lot of tourist traps serving mediocre tapas, but any half-decent tapas bar will have two or three superb options and a few good ones.

- - - Updated - - -

One of my favourite dishes is spaghetti with lardon (done in olive oil in the oven) just all mixed together... no sauce, just plain boiled spaghetti and then oil and lardons added after and mixed all in the one pot.

Sounds ridiculous but it's amazing.

That just sounds like it needs pepper ...

Last edited by a moderator:
i have to disagree although i love italien food where we live you can get a 4/5 course meal for as little as 22/25 €s please do not get me started on something i am passionate about, food is brilliant in many parts of the world i have travelled extensively and France has absolutely everything from Michelin 3* to your little bistro tucked away in some dark and dingy street providing superb food at great prices.

Most 'exotic' meat you've eaten?

Mine would be alpaca. Surprisingly gamey.

not sure about exotique but biche or daget has to be no older than 12/15 months is pretty good, or a 30/40 kgs wild boar cooked on a spit, in Italy they do kid the same way fabulous.

i have to disagree although i love italien food where we live you can get a 4/5 course meal for as little as 22/25 €s please do not get me started on something i am passionate about, food is brilliant in many parts of the world i have travelled extensively and France has absolutely everything from Michelin 3* to your little bistro tucked away in some dark and dingy street providing superb food at great prices.

I oversimplified, I do know you can get fantastic food in the cheap dingy bistros in France too, it's just my experience is that that isn't every bistro - whereas in Italy it pretty much is.

- - - Updated - - -

I had completely forgotten Wild Boar was a thing. Excellent meat.

God yes, wild boar. Venison is also delicious. I grew up in the country so had game fairly regularly growing up. There's something strangely wonderful about finding a bit of shot in your mouthful of roast pheasant

GN10 I hope you're prepared for me to invoice you for the MASSIVE food bill I'm going to have now I've read this thread and have to go to the shops in a bit. We good?

God yes, wild boar. Venison is also delicious. I grew up in the country so had game fairly regularly growing up. There's something strangely wonderful about finding a bit of shot in your mouthful of roast pheasant

The satisfying crunch of shot, an experience for which sonnets should be written.

GN10 I hope you're prepared for me to invoice you for the MASSIVE food bill I'm going to have now I've read this thread and have to go to the shops in a bit. We good?

Talking about food on an empty stomach is a terrible idea. I just ate three Portuguese custard tarts - and I'm going out for dinner now.

- - - Updated - - -

The satisfying crunch of shot, an experience for which sonnets should be written.

Painful if you're chewing too excitedly though

Talking about food on an empty stomach is a terrible idea. I just ate three Portuguese custard tarts - and I'm going out for dinner now.

That's why I posted it after lunch when everyone should have eaten.... It's backfired on me too just bought a lemon cheesecake on my easy home.

A high calibre meal
Referee-Alain-Rolland-sho-007.jpg
33781.jpg

12641.jpg

In my job don't get much time to eat my snap so just a ham sandwich was perfect for today.

Latest posts