• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Luscombe leaves Dragons for Quins

C

Cymro

Wales and Dragons back Haldane Luscombe has signed a two-year deal with English first division champions Harlequins.

The 15-cap centre cum wing, 25, who started every Six Nations match this year, moves at the end of the season.

South Africa-born Luscombe has been at Rodney Parade for seven years, but has grown frustrated with the Gwent side.

"I needed a fresh challenge and playing in the Guinness Premiership next season will provide me with that," Luscombe told the South Wales Argus.

"I've been at Rodney Parade for the past seven years and have played under six different coaches in that time, I've loved playing for Newport and the Dragons.

Moving to England shouldn't hamper my international career if I can produce the goods
Haldane Luscombe

"Harlequins have got a good bunch of players. They've done extremely well in the first division and I'm looking forward to playing in an exciting back division with Stuart Abbott and Andrew Mehrtens.

"I'll miss not playing in the Heineken Cup, but moving to England shouldn't hamper my international career if I can produce the goods - it hasn't affected Colin Charvis or Mark Taylor."

Luscombe knows England centre Abbott - who secured a move to the Stoop from Wasps earlier this week - from their school days in South Africa.

With Harlequins clinching promotion this season, the pair will form a formidable partnership in the Guinness Premiership.

Dragons coach Paul Turner said last week that securing a new deal for Luscombe - whose present contract runs out in the summer - was vital to the ambitions of the region.

A real loss for the Dragons who without a backer unfortunately have to expect this
From MenOfGwent
Join the Scrum V debate

The burly Cape Town man was first brought to Wales by former national coach Graham Henry, who wanted to place him on a scholarship before he qualified for Wales by residency.

A media backlash scuppered that plan, and Brown put the then-18-year-old to work in his furniture factory.

His reputation has steadily grown, and the clamber for his signature increased when he put in an outstanding, try-scoring performance in this month's loss to France.
Taken from the bbc website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/4837960.stm

I think its a good move for him but a bad move for Welsh rugby.

It's a good signing for Quins, especially now they have sealed their premiership promotion (assuming they pass the promotion criteria ... now wouldn't that be ironic?!!).

Starting to build up a tasty back line with Monye, Mehrtens, Abbot, Keogh and now Luscombe - still need a good scrumhalf though to get them moving.

Originally posted by MightyQuin@Apr 3 2006, 08:03 AM
still need a good scrumhalf though to get them moving.
Justin Marshall is rumoured to be going Quins way if Leeds go down...

Yeah, that does seem to be a favourite rumour at the moment - especially with Marshall and Mehrtens being mates.

Being from Leeds though, and having supported half of them as a kid (before Roundhay and Headingley merged to form Leeds ... yep, I'm old!), I'll be sorry to see them relegated ... and I suspect they will struggle in ND1 next year.

However, I've lived 5 mins from the Stoop for the last 12 years and been a season ticket holder there for 10 - I'm just pleased to have been there on Saturday when they clinched promotion ... slightly different atmosphere from around 11 months ago!!!

Aye, they will have an awesome back line if Marshall goes there, also De Vos is rumored to be back on his way to South Africa

Originally posted by Cymro@Apr 3 2006, 08:23 PM
Aye, they will have an awesome back line if Marshall goes there, also De Vos is rumored to be back on his way to South Africa
If you mean Andre Vos, then he is definately leaving at the end of the season.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Apr 3 2006, 07:27 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Cymro
@Apr 3 2006, 08:23 PM
If you mean Andre Vos, then he is definately leaving at the end of the season. [/b]
Nope - Andre Vos has just signed a new one year deal to stay with Quins for another season.

Originally posted by MightyQuin+Apr 4 2006, 08:10 AM-->
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Apr 3 2006, 07:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Cymro
@Apr 3 2006, 08:23 PM

If you mean Andre Vos, then he is definately leaving at the end of the season.
Nope - Andre Vos has just signed a new one year deal to stay with Quins for another season. [/b]
Really? :huh:

I heard he was definately going, and that the combination of space created in the wage cap of him and Greenwood is how Quins managed to afford Abbott.

Yep, I guess he changed his mind.
From Quins website:

"National Division One Champions NEC Harlequins are delighted to announce that 15 players within the current squad have signed new contracts that will keep them at the club for the foreseeable future. The list includes club captain Andre Vos, who has signed a one-year contract meaning he will be part of the Quins team that will make a return to the Premiership next season."[/b]

Meanwhile, the other rumour quashing news from Yorkshire is that Marshall has agreed to stay there even if they are relegated to ND1.

Latest posts