• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Magners League opening week

Well compared to the Tri-Nations game today the Alamo was a wake.

Nice try from George North on his debut-

Last edited by a moderator:
This George North kid could become a great player. Was reading that he's 17 odd stone already at the age of 18, so in a year or so I wouldn't be surprised if he's bulked up a little more. Looks to have some good pace and footwork too! Would like to see a full game to see what his positioning and defensive work is like. The Scarlets seem to have a habit at the moment of producing exciting running but useless defensive wingers / fullbacks. Stoddard, Ajuwa, Dan Evans (a bit better defensively), Fenby, Lee Williams all have some weaknesses in defense, although I'm not sure if alot of it comes down to the defensive system used. Last season, and the game v Treviso, the Scarlets seem to get outflanked far too easly, with the wingers giving far to much room on the outside to their opposition numbers.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going wrong defensively at the Scarlets (besides missed tackles)? They don't appear to employ a rush defense, instead they stop short. This seems a bit odd, considering most other teams nowerdays employ a rush defense of some kind or other. Added to this, the Scatlets wingers seem to creep infield as I've already mentioned, leaving room outwide. Leinster took maximum advantage of this in last seasons HC games. Sulery that's the worst defensive system possible with little pressure applied in the middle of the field, and what appears to be zero ability to drift when the ball is moved wide. Bizzare if you ask me!!

Scarlet coaching is terrible. They have good youth prospects but unless a decent coach is at the helm the players will not develop. Turnbull is an example, he has bags of potential but seems to have stalled in development.

Morgan Stoddart= The Gap
I think he would make a decent winger (at least better than FB )- quite a bit of pace, big lad, not as much responsibility for defence.

George North will help to give Wales some depth on the wings in the next few years (Halfpenny, Harries, James, Czekaj, Phillips, Prydie)

Nigel Davies has to go as well...

Fully agree Cymro. The Scarlets really are a backwards looking club. Never had there been a better example of 'jobs for the boys'. Nigel Davies seems useless, and the backroom staff are under-qualified. Hopefully McBride can take some of what he's learn't with Wales back, because the scarlets need to sort out their defense. How the hell can Mark Jones and Easterby step straight into coaching roles. Easterby might do ok, but I never thought Mark Jones was a cleverest of wingers, hell he struggled to stay on his feet most the time!

Seriously, I'd get rid of the lot. Maybe keep McBride as forwards coach to learn (get someone else for Wales though). Bring in some coaches who can offer some fresh ideas, because they're going stagnant atm. What's the bet they'll do something completely oposite and bring back gyppo (GJ) if things don't improve?!??!!!!

@ Draggs. I still maintain that Stoddard is one of the best attackign players I've ever seen. Problem is he's a selfish twat who can't tackle to save his life. He butchers as many chances as he takes due to trying to beat the defender instead of simply drawing and passing. He reminds me of Lee Byrne before he went to the O's!

Last edited:
Stoddart is a great attacking fullback and good going forward. His defence is shaky, to say the least.
I think Daniel Evans will overtake him for 15.

They had a good coach, Phil Davies, but lost him.

Latest posts