• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Major League Rugby

Whats the general state of the rugby standard so far this year?

Looking at some of these tries of the week, you can see the athleticism is there to play an interesting brand of rugby, but defenses seem slow off the line, and occasionally basic club issues such as drifting while running with the ball in hand, and tackle technique can be slightly wanting?

Whats your opinion as someone following it? Always great to see the game expanding and developing (obviously not expecting it to be perfect, but is it improving?)

Whats the general state of the rugby standard so far this year?

Looking at some of these tries of the week, you can see the athleticism is there to play an interesting brand of rugby, but defenses seem slow off the line, and occasionally basic club issues such as drifting while running with the ball in hand, and tackle technique can be slightly wanting?

Whats your opinion as someone following it? Always great to see the game expanding and developing (obviously not expecting it to be perfect, but is it improving?)
turn game on. watch 4 phases. turn game off. at least a couple games have been on cable so far

I saw that a team's strength and conditioning coach scored two tries in a game.

turn game on. watch 4 phases. turn game off. at least a couple games have been on cable so far

I saw that a team's strength and conditioning coach scored two tries in a game.
That's a bit harsh. I've not watched full games but my take is that there are two ways to build leagues from scratch in Tier2 territory.

Either with a very small amount of teams with all the best players crammed together (e.g. Sudamerica, focussing on developing players for the national team) OR with a larger amount of teams to increase the footprint of the league nationally, but with all the best players spread out thinly. MLR is the latter and it means the quality is at a low base until teams start producing their own youths (which they are financially incentivised to do as it increases their salary cap). The continued regular expansion of the MLR will keep the talent spread thin but will likely increase the overall value of the league in terms of TV money (at which point they may be able to increase the quality of overseas player).

The standard in the MLR is understandably lower than Sudamerica and likely Russia, but it's got a far more stable long term base and can only continue to improve.

My home town team San Diego Legion beat Los Angeles in a 31-27 thriller to keep their playoff hopes alive.

And SD are the 2022 Cali Cup winners! :cool:

Last edited:
2022 MLR Playoff Teams

Western Conference - Los Angeles, Austin and Houston.
Eastern Conference - New England, Atlanta and New York.

The playoff teams are set even though there's one week left to play in the regular season.

Last edited:

Latest posts