• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Major League Rugby

articles about MLR/ USA Rugby
apparently average wages for domestic players is $20,000 which is a huge issue. World Rugby CEO doesn't seem that confident in the synergy between the two groups.

A bit of an unfortunate quote from a World Rugby figure while qualification is ongoing (and after the US getting a controversial last minute penalty that would have been game winning).

Also saying "at the moment" pro rugby in the US is MLR is a bit catty (if that is a direct quote). I wonder if World Rugby will try to push the US into teaming up with the URC, using the RWC as blackmail? It was pretty clear that was Gilpin's predecessors preference if I remember right.

The US defeated Scotland a couple of years back and nobody was denouncing MLR then. It's just Europe and South America have elected to prioritise their international teams to try and grow the game from the top down.

The real problem here is the greed and idiocy of World Rugby awarding a RWC to the US in a climate where World Rugby hold back the development of Tier2s.

I look forward to the Glendale Raptors fulfilling their promise to win the RWC for the US in 5 years time.

Last edited:

starting to change my mind and am thinking that a SLAR/RESC approach could work in America

Set up x amount of high performance centers in areas where rugby has strong roots where guys could either be full time or either work jobs and be high performance amateurs. Then they play x amount of games. Try to attract sponsors around that league instead of trying to attract rugby players and fans around rugby. I think most importantly it would result in a higher level of play which in turn would attract viewers/sponsors. Teams of course would still be able to recruit foreigners to boost standards and import rugby/professional knowledge.

What I really like about SLAR/RESC is that it allows teams to control the amount of professional players in their system almost like a central bank. Chile and Spain currently have one team full of professional players. In the future both can see their best players go to more elite leagues or they can increase the number of teams they have in the league. Who knows how many teams Chile will have in SLAR in 10 years?

Also MLR says it is not their responsibility for the national team to be good. I agree that it is not their responsibility, but I'd argue that it is certainly in their best interest for the national team to be competent.

The thing about SLAR and RESC is it takes almost all the unions budget,to the extent things like grassroots may be neglected and unions may even go bankrupt if these leagues don't become more financially sustainable. But setting that aside I'm told there isnt 'exlcusivity' for MLR to operate and I know SLAR is always looking to link up with other leagues. But I think its important to not undermine the MLR's work by making it look low level (like the old rumours of a US URC side at the time of PRO Rugby in the US).

So how about a proposition to MLR for an East Conference American Allstars and a West Conference American Allstars and some kind of tournament with some or all of SLAR?

Apparently one of the investors in Dallas (an Argentine) is saying his investment group are looking at an additional team in Miami, but it doesn't sound like it'll be for next season. I think getting Dallas's first win should maybe be their priority!

Also rumours that Adam Gilchrist's personal wealth has taken a big hit, which may impact on his ownership of two sides.

Apparently one of the investors in Dallas (an Argentine) is saying his investment group are looking at an additional team in Miami, but it doesn't sound like it'll be for next season. I think getting Dallas's first win should maybe be their priority!

Also rumours that Adam Gilchrist's personal wealth has taken a big hit, which may impact on his ownership of two sides.
Gilchrist is an egomaniac, and that's never a good thing. I hope he sells his Austin team before next season. Yes, Dallas getting a win should be a priority.

Last edited:
He is certainly talking the talk. Good to see more direct words about youth development rather than the attitude from New York about that being a matter for the union, not MLR.

I see Vancouver mentioned as a possible expansion location, hopefully Canada can pull that off as once they have two pro sides they'd have a solid foundation to get themselves out of their (relative) slump (if kids keep playing the sport that is).

Latest posts