• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Making Tackles?

• Thread starter ecks tartan army
  • Start date
E

ecks tartan army

i dont play rugby competitivly, but have recently started messing around during lunch at school. the only problem is, having never played rugby properly im not great at tackling people (though im getting the hang of the "bear hug" approach), and this isnt exactly helped by the fact some of the people did used to play.

any general advice anyone could give me about making tackles?

There's a tendancy to grab for flailing arms and avoid getting hit by their legs, do the exact opposite. First off just concentrate on holding their legs together, to be very basic, trying not to be patronising. More importantly than tackling them, get your head on the right side so it isn't crushed under them. Once confident with that use your legs as if you're squatting upwards when they hit you/you hit them.

my advice for you is ask someone you play with, one of the more experienced players for a bit of advice in tackling technique, if theyre friends they should help because at the end of the day all the explaining wont help if you dont see it yourself.

my advice in terms of technique is:
(i wrote this in another post a while ago)

For a tackle in which you just want to bring the opponent down i personally try to line them up as soon as i can and either hit the waist in which case ill start driving the legs and try and lift one of their legs, or if they try to step try to get a leg and wrap the arms around, work on any size and believe me being only 5'9ish it works on all sizes.

if you've got a couple of team mates near enough incase this misses or the situation calls for it, if the opponent carrys the ball at chest height try and hit hard with the shoulder into the chest or somewhere in the upper body obviously keeping it legal and drive, if possible aim for the ball.

for side on tackles just focus on their legs and try and slide around them after the hit to get onto your feet and try and rip the ball.

main thing is dont try and shy away from the tackle you'll get hurt more often then not

:cheers:

All you have to do is bow your head and go in as hard as you can, if you do not go hard your gonna get injured. Believe me I play rugby.

All you have to do is bow your head and go in as hard as you can, if you do not go hard your gonna get injured. Believe me I play rugby. [/b]

^^^EXACTLY RIGHT

you don't have too much time to think when someone is running at you.

try going for the big fat guys who just run straight, because then you don't have to worry about someone sidestepping and getting your head on the wrong hide and hurting your neck. plus you get more respect for hitting the big guys...

<div class='quotemain'> All you have to do is bow your head and go in as hard as you can, if you do not go hard your gonna get injured. Believe me I play rugby. [/b]

^^^EXACTLY RIGHT

try going for the big fat guys who just run straight, because then you don't have to worry about someone sidestepping and getting your head on the wrong hide and hurting your neck. plus you get more respect for hitting the big guys...
[/b][/quote]
Stupid, stupid, stupid. You must always keep your head up maintaing contact with the area you are going to contact. If you don't, you won't know if the attacker changes direction at the last second which could cause serious injury to you or make you look like an idiot if you miss.

Early on in the game smash the big blokes

gets you confidence and psyches you up, revs the team up and gives you respect rather than smashing the small bloke.

<div class='quotemain'> All you have to do is bow your head and go in as hard as you can, if you do not go hard your gonna get injured. Believe me I play rugby. [/b]

^^^EXACTLY RIGHT

[/b][/quote]

dont listen to that, keep your eyes on where your tackling, and dont intentionally go out for a big guy, just hit whatever comes at you, and you dont have to big hit everyone who runs down your channel as a few people here seem to think

get low, head up, always always always head up, straight back and bend just a bit forewards from the hips, get them in the legs with your shoulder and your head behind their butt (if you dont you'll get knocked out by their knees!) drive from the hips and legs and bring them down.

or if its from the side

get low, head up, straight back and bend a bit foreward at the hips, put your shoulder into them and your head behind, squeeze their legs and drive through.

or if its a big beastly guy and your a small little guy (most of the time like me)

get low, head up, straight back and bend a bit foreward at the hips, let him come to you, hit him, wrap his legs, trust me he'll trip from momentum when youve got his legs all bound up.

just remember all your power comes from your hips and legs, dont go in like a torpedo, thats how you get hurt.

The big guys are usually the ones that are easier to hit. Although the initial contact is probably fiercer, basically they expect to get through you, take their knee joints and pick them up. See what happens.

Usually clapping ensues from the team.

Everett was hurt Sunday after he ducked his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff. Everett dropped face-first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.[/b]

Head up, Head up, Head up, HEAD UP!!!

See what happens when you do the opposite here. Different sport, but still applies. I think everyone will agree.

Personally when I first started playing I was a little bit hesitant, and I would often be fended off or dodged. It was listening to my coach swear at another player doing the same thing that improved me.

All you really have to do is put your head down, and run straight for them. Get them scared, and then grab their legs and drive forwards.

If you hesitate, they'll get past/through you.

Go for the Legs. Basic and easiest method. Easier than going high. When you're confident then start trying other ways for big hits knocking them backwards.

Before making a tackle you must track the player by getting to the side of the attacker to cut down his options, get a lead leg in close to attacker (use the same side leg as the shoulder u r using)then lower your body height, get your ear to the rear or cheeek to cheek, make contact with shoulder, wrap arms tightly, and drive through with legs

i play on the wing so what i try to do, is when you see the ball being passed down the opposition line, run forward to your opposite number (or whoever is going to recieve the ball), and hit them as soon as they catch it, this way they don't have any time to run at you or side step you and you are the one hitting them rather than the other way round.

i try to go in from the side and aim for mid-thigh area, wrap my arms around both their legs are fast as you can, squeeze and drive your legs.

if they are running towards you, don't run towards them because it'll be easy to get side stepped just wait to see where they are going to run and make sure you get the wrap.

seeing as you're only playing with your mates, just try to hold onto both their legs so they can't run.

Early on in the game smash the big blokes

gets you confidence and psyches you up, revs the team up and gives you respect rather than smashing the small bloke.
[/b]

******** smash everyone big,small,fat or skiny hit everyone like they where nothing and you will soon earn respect doesnt matter if you hit a 6'6 18 stone bloke or smash some little prop if you hit him right you will gain repsect from the other team..

Just make sure you keep your eyes on his waist, legs move his waist doesnt you will be able to read his movement line him up and dump his ass back to the stone age...

once you get into it more try going for the ball ripping it or my fav grab them with one hand and wade in with the other ;) lol FIJI style lol

All you have to do is watch professional rugby and observe closely how everyone tackles. Thats what i did when i started and its worked so far. The second thing is to be psyched up so when you do need to tackle you dont hesitate but just go straight in

don't be scared, you just get in there, do ur thang, and beat him to the ground. make sure it's hard and you really meant it...so he'll target you back. ;)

...when you see the ball being passed down the opposition line, run forward to your opposite number (or whoever is going to recieve the ball), and hit them as soon as they catch it, this way they don't have any time to run at you or side step you and you are the one hitting them rather than the other way round.[/b]

Who is this guy, Ma'a Nonu?

If you run up straight at your number EVERYTIME they are spreading the ball across the backline, then you end up leaving the defensive line behind! This is known as a dog-legged defence and any poor-sighted player could see this happening and will exploit the gap.

You must **** your team mates off doing this all the time.

This is how I learnt it - Eyes to thighs, cheek to cheek (you face cheek to their bum cheek) and squeeze their knees.

Latest posts