• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

marshall leeds or quins

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jan 11 2006, 07:43 AM
Fine expand it to 14 team, bring up a couple of worthy clubs, leave Leeds where they are and see how it goes.

Their stadium is rubbish, their fans are rubbish, and their team are crap. The Prem would look much better with Quins in their place.
So what makes a team 'worthy' in your opinion? What happens on the pitch is all that should matter - if you're good enough, you go up - that's what competitive sport is all about. No team has a divine right to play in the top flight, not even Northampton. Quins went down last year because they were the worst team in the division. Likewise, whoever finishes bottom this year will deserve to go down. By all means expand the GP to 14 teams, but scrapping relegation now would be an almighty step backwards.

Originally posted by ***an+Jan 12 2006, 09:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (***an @ Jan 12 2006, 09:08 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SaintsFan_Webby
@Jan 11 2006, 07:43 AM

Fine expand it to 14 team, bring up a couple of worthy clubs, leave Leeds where they are and see how it goes.

Their stadium is rubbish, their fans are rubbish, and their team are crap. The Prem would look much better with Quins in their place.
So what makes a team 'worthy' in your opinion? What happens on the pitch is all that should matter - if you're good enough, you go up - that's what competitive sport is all about. No team has a divine right to play in the top flight, not even Northampton. Quins went down last year because they were the worst team in the division. Likewise, whoever finishes bottom this year will deserve to go down. By all means expand the GP to 14 teams, but scrapping relegation now would be an almighty step backwards. [/b]
By worthy, I mean clubs who add something to the league.

Leeds have an awful ground, a small and irritating fan base, and as a club really don't merit top flight rugby at the moment. If they decide to ring-fence the Premiership as they have been talking of doing, then it has to be full of teams with the facilities and support base to warrant top class rugby.

Yes it's elitist, and I'd much rather have relegation. However, if they decide to close off the top league then it has to contain a full complement of competitive teams.

No offense, but last time Rotherham were in the Premiership it was just embarassing. I would love more teams to come through and prove themselves, but at the moment there are only about 14 who could realistically hope to compete at the top level.

But surely if you want a competitive league, you need promotion and relegation? Remember last season when it went down to the wire? That's how you sell a product. Without relegation, half the games after December would be devoid of interest for spectators and sponsors alike. It's the same in National 1 - there are a number of clubs who aspire to play in the Premiership one day (Cornish Pirates, Plymouth, Bedford, and yes, the ***ans) - who knows, one of these could be the next Sale. Rugby as a sport simply cannot afford to ringfence.

I would much rather keep relegation and promotion, and I agree with what you're saying.

The point is, they have been threatening to scrap it for years, and if the RFU do decide to, then they need to first ensure the top league is full of sides who are going to be competitive at that level.

English rugby can't afford to have a massive gap between the top and bottom team. Every team needs to have the ability to beat every other in the league on their day.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jan 10 2006, 06:50 PM
Hopefully Leeds go down, Quins come up, they try scrapping relegation for a couple of seasons, and we have a Prem full of proper teams.
Proper Teams like Newcastle?

Plus Headingley is one of the largest grounds in the Guinness prem, also a new stand is being built over one of the open terraces this year.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jan 13 2006, 03:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jan 13 2006, 03:10 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SaintsFan_Webby
@Jan 10 2006, 06:50 PM
Hopefully Leeds go down, Quins come up, they try scrapping relegation for a couple of seasons, and we have a Prem full of proper teams.
Proper Teams like Newcastle?

Plus Headingley is one of the largest grounds in the Guinness prem, also a new stand is being built over one of the open terraces this year. [/b]
Yes, like Newcastle. Reasonable attendences, decent players, good coach, nice stadium.

Don't think the Tykes play at the same ground as the Rhinos, because I've seen their ground, and it's an absolute turd of a ground.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jan 13 2006, 05:00 PM
Yes, like Newcastle. Reasonable attendences, decent players, good coach, nice stadium.

Don't think the Tykes play at the same ground as the Rhinos, because I've seen their ground, and it's an absolute turd of a ground.
You should of stopped at decent players!
<

I'm quite sure that Leeds play at Headingly, but don't pull in anywhere near enough big crowds to justify playing in a reasonably large stadium.

My mistake. It still isn't a good stadium though, obviously not at all helped by the rubbish attendances.

I dont think u could get rid of leeds, because the argument, that would always be brought up, for leeds is that they're the only Northern representative. I think im right in saying that, however i dropped Geog in 3rd year.

Originally posted by Symclaw@Jan 13 2006, 07:54 PM
I dont think u could get rid of leeds, because the argument, that would always be brought up, for leeds is that they're the only Northern representative. I think im right in saying that, however i dropped Geog in 3rd year.
Hmmm......might be time to open up that map again.
<

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jan 14 2006, 03:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jan 14 2006, 03:14 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@Jan 13 2006, 07:04 PM
So where is Sale?

Or Newcastle?
Well Sale is Cheshire, not the true North. [/b]
North of the Watford Gap isn't it?

It's bloody Nothern, now finish yer chips 'n' gravy 'n' get down t' coal mine...

so....

Marshall wont go to quins because leeds wouldnt let him out of his contract anyway. he has another year and he is stuck with them, or so i read somewhere (sorry for getting back on topic)

Originally posted by Teh Mite+Jan 14 2006, 05:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 14 2006, 05:16 PM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Jan 14 2006, 03:14 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
So where is Sale?

Or Newcastle?

Well Sale is Cheshire, not the true North.

It's bloody Nothern, now finish yer chips 'n' gravy 'n' get down t' coal mine... [/b]
My local pit closed in 1940.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jan 19 2006, 03:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jan 19 2006, 03:01 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Teh Mite@Jan 14 2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Jan 14 2006, 03:14 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
So where is Sale?

Or Newcastle?

Well Sale is Cheshire, not the true North.

It's bloody Nothern, now finish yer chips 'n' gravy 'n' get down t' coal mine...
My local pit closed in 1940. [/b]
Well, s'posse you can blam t'Torys for that 'un.

Latest posts