• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Matt Dawson to retire

On the topic of the next England Sh, what do people think of Hodgson of London Irish? He has looked good whenever I have seen him play this year.

:lol: It would be a commentator's nightmare, especially considering how often they would pass to each other.

Originally posted by Teh Mite+Apr 8 2006, 12:13 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-loratadine
@Apr 7 2006, 10:40 AM
yes but hes not as good as edwards, sid or gregan
Shut the f*** up, he's still twice the player Greegan ever was. [/b]
Bwahahahahahahahhahahahahaha are you serious??? Gregan may suck now, but in his prime he was 10 times the player Dawson ever was! Seriously, the guy was the most over-rated player in the NH!

Dawson was one of the best scrum halves in the world in his time although he really did fade after the world cup. I'll never forget that Powergen Cup match in March '03 where we pasted Irish by 30 points...Dawson back from injury and making breaks left, right and centre.

Originally posted by Muse_Cubed@Apr 9 2006, 09:51 AM
Dawson was one of the best scrum halves in the world in his time although he really did fade after the world cup. I'll never forget that Powergen Cup match in March '03 where we pasted Irish by 30 points...Dawson back from injury and making breaks left, right and centre.
He was still a fair bit behind Marshall and Gregan though when they were in thier prime. It's great to put a big score on Ireland, but apart from the tiny laps of England success in the years around the RWC, he never put the All Blacks in doubt in the way Gregan used to... Gregan was the bane of All Blacks sides for the best part of a decade before fading, and if you can be that damaging to the All Blacks, then you've got some braging rights.

Nice to see the Welsh being their usual bitter selves. Dawson has been a great servant to both English and British Lions rugby, people should appreciate that.

Just because Wales havent got any players with a bit of character (call it arrogance if you will), I mean look at Henson the bloke has as much charisma as a stick of celerly

Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 8 2006, 10:37 PM-->
Originally posted by Teh Mite@Apr 8 2006, 12:13 AM

Shut the f*** up, he's still twice the player Greegan ever was.
Bwahahahahahahahhahahahahaha are you serious??? Gregan may suck now, but in his prime he was 10 times the player Dawson ever was! Seriously, the guy was the most over-rated player in the NH! [/b]
Who owned who when both were in their prime, lets say, oooh, 3-5 years ago?

Yeah, STFU.

this is why I love being from a tier two nation as I can put my stupid nationalistic tendencies behind me when looking at who is the best scrum half in the world.

This msg is directed to all the dumb welsh retards on this site who are constantly trying to convince me how superior they are to the rest of the world in rugby prowess. :toss:

Originally posted by PeeJay@Apr 10 2006, 06:12 PM
I love sweeping generalisations, don't you?
Blame certain members of the board.

I'm sure you can guess who. :rolleyes:

;)

Dont think we are trying to make ourself look big. But im sorry Matt Dawson was great but I still feel that Dwayne Peel will always be better.

To be honest I think Perry will be better than him.

Originally posted by Cymro@Apr 10 2006, 08:06 PM
Dont think we are trying to make ourself look big.  But im sorry Matt Dawson was great but I still feel that Dwayne Peel will always be better.
Peel is not yet as good as Dawson was at his peak. He definately has the potential to get there, but speaking honestly, as someone who saw him performing every week at club as well as international level, Daws was a world class player, and would have graced any side.

Originally posted by Cymro@Apr 10 2006, 07:06 PM
Dont think we are trying to make ourself look big. But im sorry Matt Dawson was great but I still feel that Dwayne Peel will always be better.

To be honest I think Perry will be better than him.
Perry is a great scrum-half, and should be the next England scrum half, but he still has a way to go before he gets to becoming as good as Dawson was and achieving what he has.

The sad thing about Perry is he is already 27, and this is his first season as a professional! If age was on his side,

i used to like dawson... but he lost his pace during the last couple of years.... i dont like scrum halves without pace..... i liked his try for the lions in '97

Originally posted by PeeJay@Apr 11 2006, 05:12 AM
I love sweeping generalisations, don't you?
the reason I make this generalization is because almost all the welsh are guilty of this on this board. Patriotism is one thing but putting it ahead of rationality is another thing. I think you all need to take a philosophy class in Wales or something so they can teach about logic and rationality before the idiots on this board who represent Welsh rugby open their mouth.

I mean commong your comparing Dwayne Peel a man who has only stepped onto the International scene in the past 2 years or so too a man who has had an illustrious career. Until Peel becomes a World Cup winning, multiple 6 nations, lions, club superstar and a man truely in a league of his own like names like Dawson, Gregan, Marshall you can take a step back and shut your f***ing pie holes because he does not come even close to comparing.

Originally posted by harrison2468+Apr 8 2006, 04:52 AM-->
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Apr 7 2006, 12:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-harrison2468
@Apr 7 2006, 01:03 PM
One incident I will never forget though is his arguement with Budge Poutney in the Powergen Final a few years back.

It wasn't an argument, it was a misunderstanding hyped up by TV commentators. Read his autobiography and it turns out it was a nothing event.
I actually have his auto-biography, which I decided to get because it would be an interesting read based on his personality.

I'll have a look over it tonight. It was an arguement though, obviously both were frustrated by the way things panned out that day. [/b]
i have it as well, im about 200 pages through excellent read!

well goodbye to one of my all time favourite scrum halves, he's the one ive tried to model my game after..

Originally posted by Teh Mite+Apr 9 2006, 08:03 PM-->
Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 8 2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Teh Mite@Apr 8 2006, 12:13 AM

Shut the f*** up, he's still twice the player Greegan ever was.

Bwahahahahahahahhahahahahaha are you serious??? Gregan may suck now, but in his prime he was 10 times the player Dawson ever was! Seriously, the guy was the most over-rated player in the NH!
Who owned who when both were in their prime, lets say, oooh, 3-5 years ago?

Yeah, STFU. [/b]
Gregan was at his best between 99-01 buddy ;) Remember what happened in those years? Oh yeah, we won the World Cup and sent the Lions packing :bleh!: .

Yeah, that's right, Stuff You Buddy :bana: .

I would hardly call beating the Lions 2-1 in the series, in which you only one because of a Jonny Wilkinson intercept and one bad line out "sending them packing".

Latest posts