• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

micked up refs

derskull

Academy Player
So totally irritating that Rugby has become a 3 team sport. Team A Team B and Team REFS! Pathetic. It is like watching a bunch of steroided brutes being dictated to by a dude who never touches the ball and they all look like little schoolboys. Let the players play and the refs ref but not have the refs constantly tell people what they should or should not do. The players know the rules. Let them incur penalties if they break them. The refs should keep their mouths shut and react to what is happening. Just imagine if refs were doing this in lets say Icehockey or NFL or soccer. Just stupid and it spoils the game enough for me to not support it. Also many rules of the game are just weird. The game has become boring. This entire world cup lasted way to long for the obvious result of a tier one final. Just dumb and boring.

I get the frustration, I have a non rugby traditional in law family who are all trying to understand, and it's difficult to explain.

One of their confusions is why referees keep telling players the technicalities of their positions, and coaching them throughout.

Ultimately all I can say is that world rugby has convoluted the game and laws to such an extent each penalty is based on a specific refs speculation, and not an actual law.

All the cameras was supposed to show up foul play. Instead they have shown up hpw poor many of the referres and associated officials are

Do they? Recent events would have me question whether the refs knows the laws, let alone the players.
All the top teams now have former referees coaching them on how to stay at the very limit of what is allowed, including masterclass sessions on ref-specific set of advice (Farrell obviously did not show up for those and Dupont was away dealing with his injury at the time).
Next step is coaching the teams on Ben O'Keeffe reffing of the rucks depending on the phase of the moon and the breakfast he had in the morning 😁

Last edited:
Refs coach players in an attempt to reduce the amount of times they have to blow the whistle (and therefore help keep the game flowing). I could see an argument for, like the NFL, microphones being switched off unless the ref is speaking to the TMO or advising viewers of what penalty was called. I don't really enjoy having the ref in my ear all game either.

But if you did that you'd get arguments about conspiracies.

So totally irritating that Rugby has become a 3 team sport. Team A Team B and Team REFS! Pathetic. It is like watching a bunch of steroided brutes being dictated to by a dude who never touches the ball and they all look like little schoolboys. Let the players play and the refs ref but not have the refs constantly tell people what they should or should not do. The players know the rules. Let them incur penalties if they break them. The refs should keep their mouths shut and react to what is happening. Just imagine if refs were doing this in lets say Icehockey or NFL or soccer. Just stupid and it spoils the game enough for me to not support it. Also many rules of the game are just weird. The game has become boring. This entire world cup lasted way to long for the obvious result of a tier one final. Just dumb and boring.
im sorry but this is just a bit ignorant, the ref has an active role in rugby, its a different sport, the ref controls things like the scrums and how they set, calls advantages, calls when mauls start, its on the rules for the ref to tell teams to "use it" or how may stops for a maul

You'd likely moan about to many penalties if the refs didnt get involved in things suck as rucks, they say 'dont got in' 'lost now' or just 'No' of a player steps offside.

I do see you point but anyone of them can prevent a pen, therefore another stoppage to to game

Rugby has so many laws and is a game of such fine margains that players sometimes stray without.

Now the term 'use it' i dont particularly like as i just find it over used, some refs say it at almost every ruck when it should just be for box kicks and when a team is visably taking to long.

Everyone has gripes about the game but these ones are necessary imo to keep the game flowing.

im sorry but this is just a bit ignorant, the ref has an active role in rugby, its a different sport, the ref controls things like the scrums and how they set, calls advantages, calls when mauls start, its on the rules for the ref to tell teams to "use it" or how may stops for a maul
But is it the refs job to constantly coach the players in ever facet.

Players now have a tendency to constantly ask questions of the ref in live play, and scream outcomes to him also.

This hasnt happened by accident, teams know refs can be influenced, they know ref personalities and they play to them

I'd also add that rugby is a game of interpretation.
A] There's so much cheating in rugby, that you'd never past 2 phases without there being something that can be blown for.
B] It's perfectly possible to infringe whilst thinking that you're not - it's the ref's opinion that matters, but if you think you're the first man in there, and you think you're on your feet - then you think you can go for the ball. It's perfectly possible to genuinely think that, but for the ref to think you got there 2nd, and therefore can't go for the ball.

I'd also add that rugby is a game of interpretation.
A] There's so much cheating in rugby, that you'd never past 2 phases without there being something that can be blown for.
B] It's perfectly possible to infringe whilst thinking that you're not - it's the ref's opinion that matters, but if you think you're the first man in there, and you think you're on your feet - then you think you can go for the ball. It's perfectly possible to genuinely think that, but for the ref to think you got there 2nd, and therefore can't go for the ball.
Doesnt this highlight the huge flaw to the game?

If the refs opinion is what matters, then they by very definition decide who wins every game.

Can you say that about any other sport?

All I know is I'd rather hear a ref talking than loads of penalties, talking to casual fans and the common reason people find it hard to get into rugby…too many penalties, random moment teams are given they chance to score points

As a player I would far rather hear the referees thinking process behind the calls than spend 80 mins getting pinged for something you can't adapt to due to a lack of explanation.

It's a physical and potentially dangerous sport, even more so a pro and international level. Having someone who isn't in the heat of battle to enforce the laws and keep things under control is essential.

Interpretation is in the officiating of many sports, F1 in particular relies on stewards deciding who has infringed and who hasnt in the event of contact or crashes - many a driver can be agrieved every season for decisions they can't really control.

Looks like I am not the only one feeling the weirdness in all this. I am glad others are talking about it and I see the point of keeping the game flowing and that players want to know where they stand regarding the ref of the day. This communication is essential for them but it was not like that when I was a kid so things have changed by design and the end result is that my first statement still stands. I would also add that the nature of the ref overloard is making me even more inclined to just dump the entire sport as a waste of time. Sorry people but Rugby Union like its poorer cousin Rugby League are for me done and dusted. That is my personal decision and the reasons for it. Unless Rugby changes its laws and stops with this micked ref stuff and the fact that the laws are the real stoppers of the game I will tune out. I find American Football so much more entertaining and interesting to watch. The level of tactics is far more developed and they have several refs who react rather than proact. (if that is a word). I suggest that the next world cup is the beginning of a new era of laws and use several referees. No microphones, no telling players what to do. Call the penalties as they happen. Loosen the ruck laws that any person standing on their feet can strip or pick the ball. The other thing is that TIER ONE countries are the only ones allowed in the 2 week maximum competition. 2 sets of 6 team groups. The top 2 in each play out the finals. Games every second day and teams can have a few more reserves. Anyway unless this sort of change happens it will not be of interest to me. I wonder how the finals will play out considering the choice of ref? Hm? Doubt it will be good though!

... and sure while I'm here, an example (I love to watch again and again and again) of Team Ref's striking back...

Both Stephen Myler and Dylan Hartley being awarded honorary Mensa medals for their roles in this.

Latest posts