• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Monkeypigeon's Message of Thanks to the Players

monkeypigeon

Bench Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Connacht
Day in - Day out, Every month of every year, I hear and read the criticisms of players and teams who are beaten - lose,- ‘fail’, on the rugby field. This is a message for these players. And it’s not a message of criticism but a message of thanks to those players who every week put their body on the line not only for their own cause but entertain me and every other fan, whether they appreciate it or not.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
This is a message of thanks. Thanks to those players who give it everything, week in week out. I’m not in denial. I know there are players in this game for the money. I know there are players that play for no other purpose than their own glory. However, and maybe I’m naive, but I truly believe that that there are many players, many teams that are in this game for so much more. Many players could be making better livings outside of their short - and remember how short-term the financial reward is- careers in rugby, many who could make better livings without punishing their bodies for ten to twenty years, any players who do it for their love of rugby and to entertain us, ‘the fans’.
<o:p> </o:p>
I want to thank the players who despite the criticisms thrown at them every week give one hundred percent effort.
I saw my team lose today. I’m was disappointed, I still am, but I now look past that. I look past the loss and see that despite the poor tactics, missed tackles and missed passes and see something else. I see the effort. And that’s something I cannot doubt.
So thank you to the Munster team and players who lost today for entertaining me and giving it their all for the last ten years of my life. And thank you to the players that came before them and did the same. And thanks to the Harlequins team who also gave it there all as-well today.
And I’ll cheer for my team and any other team who do the same and put the same effort in. Thant's all that can really be asked of you.
So thank you from a rugby fan to any player across the world who makes that effort for our entertainment.
You don’t often enough receive the thanks deserved.
Monkeypigeon (or Ronan).