Munster v Clermont

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">
Munster.png
Munster v Clermont
Clermont%20Auvergne.png
</div>

Heineken Cup rugby returns to the building site that is Thomond Park, having seen the pictures from only a week ago it's quite baffling that the game is even taking place there. No floodlights are the reason for the lunchtime kickoff which will be quite strange for the Munster faithful.

Anyway on the pitch Judas faces quite the task to overturn this impressive Clermont outfit who could certainly lay claim to one of the most impressive performances of the opening weekend. If Clermont can come away with the win on Sunday it'll certainly justify many's claim of them as the darkhorse for this tournament.

Both teams have yet to be anounced.

So will Munster be able to repeat the performance level in Coventry and come away with a win this time or will Clermont continue where they left off last Sunday. As always in this pool not an easy match to call that's for sure.

The only justified change from Munster would be Horgan taken off the wing. The pack showed last week that they're up for it, but still didn't deliver that last minute platform for ROG to slot a DG. Midfield defence is a bit hectic, so we could come unstuck there.

Clermont look the biz. The only thing you can put against them is away form for French teams, but with the overseas players coming on even stronger this season you have to think they're finally switching their full focus to the HEC.

I pray we come through this one, because after christmas we're going to be a serious outfit.

Well your prayers may yet be answered as Clermont have decided to make 14 changes to the side which beat Llanelli so convincingly last Sunday.

Julien Malzieu is the only member to retain his place with the coaching staff deciding to give a run out to squad members who haven't seen much game time this season.

Not saying it will be a cake walk from Munster, far from it but making 14 changes and expecting them to gel in a HEC game at Thomond Park is a big ask.

Clermont:

15-Julien MALZIEU, 14-Grant ESTERHUIZEN, 13-Marius JOUBERT, 12-Raphaël CHANAL, 11-Vilimoni DELASAU, 10-Seramaja BAÃ, 9-Arnaud PIC, 1-Goderdzi SHVELIDZE, 2-John SMIT, 3-Davit ZIRAKASHVILI, 4-Christophe SAMSON, 5-Pierre VIGOUROUX, 6-Fabien ALEXANDRE, 7-Emmanuel ETIEN, 8-Sam BROOMHALL ©

Clermont policies can seems strange, but it 's a strategical choice to have 2 same level players per posts for this season. So, i'm not very surprise with the compo.

wtf, 14 changes, either they have some serious strength in depth, or they are just chucking this game away.

Good for the group if they lost though,especially if Scarlets can get a win v Wasps.

well they do have some serious strength in depth but maybe this is the game they feel they can lose and have a better chance of picking up away wins at Stradey and Adams Park, obviously a risky strategy but it could work if they can repeat the performances of last week.

already some whingeing over on the munster website that any video footage from last week's game will be useless ahead of this game, well lads the players may be different but they might just use the same systems of plays so best not to chuck the dvd just yet.

Judas has made one change to the starting lineup with Ian Dowling taking over from the hapless Anthony Horgan, also Gerry Hurley comes in on the bench after Tomás O'Leary was ruled out for 3 weeks.

Munster: S Payne; B Carney, R Tipoki, L Mafi, I Dolwing; R O’Gara ©, P Stringer; M Horan, J Flannery, J Hayes; D O’Callaghan, M O’Driscoll; A Quinlan, D Wallace, D Leamy.
Replacements: F Sheahan, T Buckley, A Foley, J Paringatai, G Hurley, P Warwick, K Lewis.

Are Clermont trying to be the Galacticos of european rugby? Or just focusing on domestic league?

Main thing for Munster is to tighten up in midfield defence.

Looking good for Munster at half-time, leading 17-6 at Thomond Park. Smit is having a bit of a mare with the lineouts, countless losses. With a strong wind behind them you'd expect Munster to keep Clermont pinged back and hope that Smit's yips continue. Munster should have probably had another 2 tries so the bonus point is definitely on for them this afternoon as long as they don't become complacent.

Well then, Munster back on track with a bonus point win. Clermont area tough side to beat as well so this should boost morale at Munster ahead of their other crunch games.

I'm surprised with the score-line. Hopefully Llanelli can get at least one win against Clermont if they play like this at Stradey :(
Well played Munster.

I'm surprised with the score-line. Hopefully Llanelli can get at least one win against Clermont if they play like this at Stradey :(
Well played Munster.
[/b]

well if they've any desire to progress then I'm sure it'll be a completely different Clermont starting XV that shows up at Stradey.

well if they've any desire to progress then I'm sure it'll be a completely different Clermont starting XV that shows up at Stradey. [/b]

I'm surprised they didn't put out their strongest team for this match. This is arguably the hardest game for any team in the pool, so surely they want to put in a big effort to win it. The Heineken Cup isn't going to resume until December, so even if they put out a 'weaker' team for this game just to preserve their full-strength side for games they thought they have a better chance of winning (Llanelli/Wasps) it would be in vain, since they'd have plenty of time to prepare their side for those games in the later months (even if they were to lose with their ful-strength squad).

If they didn't put forward their 1st XV then that is dissapointing, especially when much smaller teams like Glasgow and Viadana throw their very best time after time to hell and back.

<div class='quotemain'>
well if they've any desire to progress then I'm sure it'll be a completely different Clermont starting XV that shows up at Stradey. [/b]

I'm surprised they didn't put out their strongest team for this match. This is arguably the hardest game for any team in the pool, so surely they want to put in a big effort to win it. The Heineken Cup isn't going to resume until December, so even if they put out a 'weaker' team for this game just to preserve their full-strength side for games they thought they have a better chance of winning (Llanelli/Wasps) it would be in vain, since they'd have plenty of time to prepare their side for those games in the later months (even if they were to lose with their ful-strength squad).
[/b][/quote]

I think it was done more with the Top 14 in mind rather than the later games against Wasps and Llanelli.

Well, surely the Heineken Cup is much more important than the Top 14. But I think I see your point, they had a low chance of beating Munster so they save their best squad for a side they'll have a better chance of beating.
That makes sense.

The Heineken Cup has certainly increased its status in France but I don't think I'd be off the mark by saying that the Brennus is a bigger priority for the French clubs

I'm suprised at the score as well - Munster should have had a couple more tries, and confined Clermont to penalties.

Mick O'Driscoll had a great game, and our midfield held fairly well. If we'd got a late DG against Wasps, we'd be early favourites for the HEC.

Smit is still getting to grips with our inferior NH rugby. Last week, after twenty minutes on the park, he was panting like a dog. This week it seems the ball is too light, making him overthrow.

The Heineken Cup has certainly increased its status in France but I don't think I'd be off the mark by saying that the Brennus is a bigger priority for the French clubs [/b]

Well for most of the French clubs the Brennus is more important than the H-cup. For the celtic teams it is the opposite as far as I can see.

Clermont have reached 8 times the French league final and have always lost, last time was in June when the Stade Français came from behind and won in the final minutes. I think that this was very frustrating for Clermont and winning the Brennus is definitively at the top of their priority list.

Clermont have reached 8 times the French league final and have always lost, last time was in June when the Stade Français came from behind and won in the final minutes. I think that this was very frustrating for Clermont and winning the Brennus is definitively at the top of their priority list.
[/b]
I think it's unique on world sport!