• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v Toulon

Johne Murphy at 12. Warwick at 15 Quinny and Wallace back in the backrow. Mick O'Driscoll is 2nd row. Ryan, Coughlan, Ronan loose out in pack

Munster: P Warwick; D Howlett, K Earls, J Murphy, D Hurley; R O'Gara, P Stringer; W du Preez, D Varley, T Buckley; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll; A Quinlan, D Wallace, D Leamy capt. Replacements: J Flannery, M Horan, J Hayes, D Ryan, J Coughlan, N Ronan, D Williams, S Deasy.

Toulon: C Marienval; P Sackey, M Kefu, F Auelua, R Wulf; F Contepomi, P Mignoni; L Emmanuelli, J-P Genevois, C Hayman; J Suta, K Chesney; G Smith, J El Abd, J Van Niekerk capt. Replacements: M Ivaldi, S Taumoepeau, D Kubriashvili, O Missoup, G Lovobalavu, J Wilkinson, L Magnaval, D Schofield.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/8108.php

Two teams for the match - interesting Munster have two backs on the bench, perhaps they think this game will be won definately in the forwards.

That's a much better Munster team to last week. Warwick provides more cutting edge from fullback, shifting Murphy to the centre could be an inspired move (he and Earls should be capable of dove tailing nicely), the backrow has far more class and balance and O'Driscoll should run the lineout better than Ryan. I'm disappointed for Donnacha Ryan but he failed to take his opportunity last week and deserved to be dropped.

Gavin the split on the bench is picked due to players available who are ready at this level and experience.
Snoop I agree with you on Ryan but we need to get set pieces right and well I also think Micko will do wonders for our scrum but with Quinny and Wallace back we also have more options available and not routine jumpers

Side tracking the thread a little, on the subject of Donnacha Ryan, he should probably look for a move at the end of the season. Clearly he's a quality player but he might be more of a 4 than an athletic 5. He had a chance, didn't take it and has a couple of talented kids coming up fast behind him (Ian Nagle in particular). He's 27 soon and needs regular rugby. If an opportunity of a swap between him and Leinster's Fergus McFadden came about (much like how Niall Ronan and Kieran Lewis joined Munster as Stephen Keogh and Trevor Hogan moved to Leinster) it would be best for both players. At Munster Fergus McFadden would have a great chance to start week in, week out at either 12 or 13 while at Leinster Donnacha Ryan would allow the team move Trevor Hogan and Nathan Hines on (still a good player but nearly 34 and best days are behind him).

Back to the game, selecting O'Driscoll, Quinlan and Wallace may not be a sign of a youth movement taking place at Munster but they're better options than the alternatives right now. Players like Peter O'Mahony need to be fast tracked in the Magners League or Munster will be in big trouble soon.

Snoop I like that idea as I think McFadden a good player but question is would either be any closer to starting Heineken games. McFadden probably want to hang on with Leinster as he knows BOD and D'Arcy are coming to an end and well Ryan probably feels his chances are better with Munster.
Like in that swap you mentioned before none of them players with exception of Niall Ronan to a certain extent can really say they were right moves

McFadden must be slightly worried about Fitzgerald getting moved into the centres for this game and O'Malley getting more and more game time - add in Schmidt's love for the crash centre and I think he might think this coach is not one to stick around with.

I agree McFadden is better suited to McGahan but Mafi and Sam T are there and Earls has cemented 13 shirt and well Johne Murphy is becoming a real challenger for an Irish shirt

Surprisingly I think O'driscolls selection is the right choice. he will improve the lineout and if its still crap Flannery is on the bench to stablise it. I'm glad murphy is playing 12 he is a much better centre then warick is. The backrow is much stronger and experinced than last week and thank good Quinlan is back he loves Heineken cup rugby at Thomond and i love him playing there.

Been so disappointed in Ryan this season, it was his time to step up and he didn't do it. Maybe a microcosm of the Munster team this year?

Been so disappointed in Ryan this season, it was his time to step up and he didn't do it. Maybe a microcosm of the Munster team this year?

wow slow down, He's only just coming back into things, its the start of the season and he hasn't really nailed down what position he wants in the future. I agree that he hasn't grasped his opportunity as quickly as I would have hoped but I wouldn't be suprised if finds some good form later on when he settles down a bit.

To be fair to Donnacha Ryan a shoulder injury is hard to come back from physically and mentally. He does need more time to regain confidence etc and I wouldnt worry about him.

I'm very pessimistic about the Toulon match. I think Munster could struggle in this one as they're playing bad and the team they picked is too old.

Johne Murphy is becoming a real challenger for an Irish shirt
Settle down! He's had a very good start to his Munster career (one major brain fart last week aside) but he's not in the same class as Rob Kearney, Andrew Trimble (I know you don't rate him but he's a class act), Keith Earls, Tommy Bowe and Luke Fitzgerald. I'd even say Gavin Duffy is in better form at fullback and Fionn Carr is playing better out wide. What Murphy does have going for him is versatility, shifting from wing to fullback and both centre positions this season. He could be an outside bet for the World Cup squad due to this.

Back to the game, I fancy Munster to win by 15 with at least 3 tries. A bonus point win wouldn't shock me in the slightest.

Snoop I disagree I kno Johne isn't at that level but is very close and well I'm judging Trimble on Irish form not ulster.
But on match I do think first 20mins will tell alot and well Quinny is there to be on Toulon 10s case all day

I think a lot of people in this thread are counting out Toulon for no reason other than it's in Munsters back yard,
Yes a trip to Thomand is daunting for any team, but Munster aren't unbeatable there, and Toulon are a quality team (despite what may have gone on last week :lol: )
I expect it to be very close, with one side just edging it out (though i don't want to take a guess at who, as I think it'll be by < 5 points, and could come down to a last minute score)

Last edited:
I'm judging Trimble on Irish form not ulster.
You're clearly not judging him on his Ireland form over the last year because he's arguably been our best player. Before that I'd agree that he was inconsistent.

Quinny is there to be on Toulon 10s case all day
Serious question - does he have the legs to last the full 80 at a high tempo? I suspect he'll go all out for 40-50 minutes before Coughlan or Ronan replace him. I agree that he'll go all out to put off Dr Phil though.

I can't see Quinlan putting any pressure on Contepomi. Am I just naive and ignorant?

Last edited:

Latest posts