• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v Ulster

Lads I think point everyone is missing is Ryan is a 6 and well Nagle will be a star here so the competition is good at lock but with Quinny and Coughlan doubtful the 6 jersey is up for grabs. I like the look if our 2nd row but I'm glad we aren't getting Ulsters best backrow as our 2 current flankers wouldn't be game-smart for them at moment

I like how Brian McLoughlin is giving so many young players their head this season. Craig Gilroy, Nevin Spence, Luke Marshall, Paddy Jackson and Paddy McAllister all owe their coach a debt of gratitude for trusting them. I'm not convinced McLoughlin is the best man to get the most of his players and a possible new boss next season could profit from McLoughlin's willingness to experiment. If McLoughlin holds onto his job he needs to get some new assitants in place.

I like how Brian McLoughlin is giving so many young players their head this season. Craig Gilroy, Nevin Spence, Luke Marshall, Paddy Jackson and Paddy McAllister all owe their coach a debt of gratitude for trusting them. I'm not convinced McLoughlin is the best man to get the most of his players and a possible new boss next season could profit from McLoughlin's willingness to experiment. If McLoughlin holds onto his job he needs to get some new assitants in place.

McLoughlin is the best coach to get the most out of his players. One of the best in Northern Ireland at that job. He coached me for three years at school and everyone admired him for what he did. It is just a fact that Ulster are not preforming everytime they walk out onto the field. Firstly, they need a quality fly-half, which is why Pienaar should be starting at 10

I suppose what I was trying to say was that Brian McLoughlin took over a young, talented team from Matt Williams. Darren Cave, Ian Whitten, Niall O'Connor, Tom Court (not young but very raw at the time), David Pollock, Chris Henry and Ryan Caldwell all progressed under the previous coach. Have they progressed in a season and a half under MLoughlin or has it been the expensive imports and Stephen Ferris who've carried the team? I think it's the latter. Only Tom Court and Chris Henry are better now than they were in summer 2009.

McLoughlin has instilled a steely edge to his pack which has come to the fore in away wins in the Heineken Cup. The defence still isn't perfect but it's better than last season. Against that his side lack flair and the ability to get the most out of talented centres and back three players. They rely too heavily on Stephen Ferris. In my opinion Ulster need to boost their squad depth significantly (which McLoughlin is trying to do by picking youngsters consistently) and get some new ideas for their backs. Either McLoughlin or Neil Doak must be held accountable for woes behind the scrum.

Surely it should be the fly-half who should be held accountable? They simply do not have a good No.10 and the Irish management don't want Pienaar starting there.

Right.

That team says two things. It says

"We really want to get out of our Heineken Cup group"
"We surrender Munster!"

If Munster don't get a bonus point, only themselves do they have to blame for it. That is genuinely not too far off from a Ravens team in some ways, particularly in the back-line.

What this does show is the poorness of our depth everywhere outside the Tight five. TJ Anderson, with the best will in the world, should not be a professional rugby player. Seymour likewise. McIlwaine will have to bulk up a fair bit and learn a fair bit. Jury's out on Smith. No one ever really sees enough of Porter to say. And Niall O'Connor has lost his place to an 18 year old.

Whether McLaughlin stays or not his legacy will be the youngsters introduced and the away wins in England - and hopefully Heineken Cup qualification. A lot rests on that, probably his job so no wonder he's prioritising it. Personally... well, wait and see, the man's had an awful lot of **** to deal with. But in general I - and many other Ulster fans - are concerned at just how bad our basics look on a regular basis, the odd selection policies and the seeming lack of game plan. The first point is the most worrying, he's meant to be a skills coach!

If he's going to stay, the turn around needs to come very sharpish.

Surely it should be the fly-half who should be held accountable?
In Ian Humphreys' case, I think he's unfairly criticised. How many clubs in Europe have better 10s than him? Not a huge amount I reckon. Look at his win percentage. Last time I checked Ulster won around 60% of the games he started, even last season and the season before. Why did the coach keep picking Niall O'Connor who won roughly 30% of the games he started? It's true that a coach can't stop a player from brainfarting on the field but the coach should be putting the right man out there in the first place.

If you're suggesting that coaches ship too much blame when players fail to execute basic skills, I agree with you. Ulster's defeat to Leinster was down to the XV who took the field, not Brian McLoughlin. What does bother me is Ulster's penchant for crash ball merchants. Too often their players look for contact, go to ground and look to recycle rather than attack weak shoulders and look to offload to onrushing support players. That's part of the overall coaching philosophy.

Put the ball in the hands of Ruan Pienaar, Ian Humphreys, Paddy Wallace and Darren Cave. Let them play heads up rugby and good things will happen. Ulster have a cracking bunch of talented kids coming through. Let them off the leash and attack! The did so for the last 10-15 minutes against Leinster and looked a completely different team.

no nagle then
3-0 to ulster

and rory best nearly injured himself already
best is made of glass these days

Ulster playing well, though they can't catch the ball. Munster scrum is trash.

if these guys had mabey oe more week traiing to cut out these silly mistakes and ulster would be mighty impressive

Ulster down to 14 men after their second row is given a yellow card. Munster decide to scrum for seven minutes of it and then give away a few kick - STUPID

gone far better than i thought it would
young guns done well

Last edited:
Munster were very lucky to get the bonus point win. The score definately did not explain the whole story of the match. Though fair play to Munster they went to get that final try. If Ulster stopped making stupid mistakes then they would be a good team.

Lads just in from match and well the follow up with Fla. It's not looking too well and I think if he comes back now it'll be an achievement in itself but even if he gets fully fit he won't reach his peak again and Varley is now our hooker.
On the game well the scoreline flatters us. We were too easy to read and well stupid mistakes existed too

Munster were very flat in the fist half and Tuitupou isn't creating space for Earls which mkes it very easy for defence. In the second half Munster played a far more creative game and Earls looked far more dangerous. I think Tuitupou is good in defence and a powerful player but he isn't reating enouhg in the backs also Earls need to improve his passing if he's playing 13. Ulster were good considering their squad was so young. I thought their first try was very classy. Anderson was good for Ulster and Deasy was good for Munster.

One - I am now convinced Sean Cronin has hired a witch to curse Flannery and Best considering how often they injure themselves these days

Two - Ulster are their own worse enemies. You will never see a side more able to sabotage itself.

Three - I am stuck between reverent awe and complete disbelief that Munster are top of the league. It is more or less solely, imo, the product of an ability to keep their heads better than anyone else can. That sort of mental strength is a huge bonus, but I really don't think Munster are a very good team atm particularly when you consider their league position! They've really got to sort their problems if they're going to come away with silverware.

Peat I agree with you but in the lads defense their focus is 100% on Toulon game. Like we are top up league but that a bonus as our bread and butter is Europe. We need to sort our problems but we do have heads and I really think we are in the perfect position goin to Toulon.

Before the start of the season I defiantly didn't think Munster would be at the top of the table but McGahan has done a great job and Munster have consistently got results. They look likely even at thus early stage to be in a play off position come the end of the season. I still think they need a more creative 12 but they must be happy with the season so far. Lets not forget they haven't done much wrong in Europe (won all home games and gained a bonus point in every away game) but London Irish have really messed things up for Munster. I still think they have proven a few people wrong this season and credit must go to players like Varley and Leamy who have really stepped up this season aswell as the coach who has so far tried to build Munster for the future but keep them competitive this year.

Latest posts