• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 13

That's a bit more like it from Edinburgh's Blair Mitch Project (sorry). I know Connacht without Aki are much diminished but they aren't so bad they should be getting a spanking like that. Kinghorn again showing his ability. Chris Dean showing the Scottish qualified players how you actually play centre (Dean probably not selected due to lack of pace and power).

Ben Muncaster was excellent, really impressed by him so far in the back row.

Ben Muncaster was excellent, really impressed by him so far in the back row.
Between him and Darge to add to the already decent back row options Scotland might be pretty stacked there for the forseeable. Interesting background. Born in England, raised in East Lothian but left to go England to play rugby and cricket and combine them with studies because he felt England offered the better development pathway. Hopefully the cricket swung it for him or that is pretty damning that someone would relocate hundreds of miles away because they think it provides better development opportunity.

Dragons got a slapping. Glad to see Casey just play lights out. He comes under some ridiculous criticism.

Why have I just listened to RTE questioning the running of Benetton?

They're having a tough season off the back of losing Garbisi and a few others but are literally the most recent URC team to win a cup. They face far more challenges than any club in the comp bar Zebre and churn out competitive teams that contend for Euro spots every few seasons.
The Rainbow Cup win was in large part due to a fluky fixture range, i.e. playing Zebre several times, plus some other teams such as Connacht which were not at their best.

Anyway, this weekend has seen a peculiarly large number of one-sided matches - even Scarlets-Glasgow, the closest of the lot, was a 25 point victory for the hosts. More wrist in the grill for the "how crap and uncompetitive the URC is" brigade. (Much as I did personally enjoy Scarlets thrashing Glasgow, of course - that second half was the best they've played all season).

Glasgow got creamed @ Scarlets, 35-10. #3 lost to #13, I sure didn't expect that. :oops:

Last edited:
The Rainbow Cup win was in large part due to a fluky fixture range, i.e. playing Zebre several times, plus some other teams such as Connacht which were not at their best.

Anyway, this weekend has seen a peculiarly large number of one-sided matches - even Scarlets-Glasgow, the closest of the lot, was a 25 point victory for the hosts. More wrist in the grill for the "how crap and uncompetitive the URC is" brigade. (Much as I did personally enjoy Scarlets thrashing Glasgow, of course - that second half was the best they've played all season).
They had it easier than most although beating Connacht, Glasgow and the Bulls in pressure situations isn't the sign of a poorly run team. Munster only really had to beat Cardiff and Connacht after Leinster and Ulster played weakened teams against them and couldn't get it done.

Losing Garbisi, Allan , Riccioni and Hayward is pretty massive too. Garbisi would be the second best 10 in the competition if he'd stayed and Allan is a very complimentary 12 to pair with him and strong guy to back him up when he's not available.

There really does need to be more Tomasso Allan appreciation generally. :p

New coach Bortolami also for Benetton is bedding in. I would not judge them around 6N weeks as their depth just isnt there. I've lost hope of them getting a top 8, but 10th or 12th is doable and would be very credible.

More like it from Zebre, losing BP away to Ospreys, over 20 points scored and in it right until the end. Hopefully a sign the new Argentine coach is going to be an upgrade (which I was not expecting).

More like it from Zebre, losing BP away to Ospreys, over 20 points scored and in it right until the end. Hopefully a sign the new Argentine coach is going to be an upgrade (which I was not expecting).
Was it more that the Ospreys were poor or that Zebre were (relatively) good?

Was it more that the Ospreys were poor or that Zebre were (relatively) good?
Dunno. Only seeing highlights. The young Zebre flyhalf Rizzi looks like a bit of a find. Got to imagine it was sub par from Ospreys given Zebre's previous efforts this season.

I was out so didn't catch the Dragons game live, after seeing the score I'm not sure I want to torture myself over watching that. They have made some decent singings for next season but they are just actively getting worse on the pitch.

50 mins we are more than 6 behind and choose to kick fom 60 meters out.
Scarlets are kicking for the corner

Need more tries, dont kick for goal on 70 minutes ffs Sharks

Bonus point is all you can ask for at home. Happy with the points unhappy with our attacking structure. Scarlets played a fun brand against us was a good game to watch.

Bonus point is all you can ask for at home. Happy with the points unhappy with our attacking structure. Scarlets played a fun brand against us was a good game to watch.

The Scarlets championship winning side of a few years back was just about the most thrilling rugby I've ever watched. They've had a slump since then but there are signs of life that they'll come back strong playing flamboyant rugby. The Sharks should not have been trailing this after 50mins though. Scarlets were missing loads of their backs.

Good game. Scarlets can be proud of their effort. Especially in the heat.