South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Round 17

Fri 29 Apr Bulls v Glasgow Warriors (6pm) Live on SuperSport & Premier Sports

Fri 29 Apr Munster v Cardiff (7.35pm) Live on TG4, BBC Wales & Premier Sports

Sat 30 Apr Lions v Benetton (1pm) Live on SuperSport, Mediaset & Premier Sports

Sat 30 Apr Sharks v Connacht (3.05pm) Live on SuperSport, TG4 & Premier Sports

Sat 30 Apr Zebre Parma v Dragons (3.05pm) Live on Mediaset, S4C & Premier Sports

Sat 30 Apr Stormers v Leinster (5.15pm) Live on SuperSport, RTE 2 & Premier Sports

Sat 30 Apr Ospreys v Scarlets (5.15pm) Live on Premier Sports

Sat 30 Apr Edinburgh v Ulster (7.35pm) Live on Premier Sports

.. I'll have to think about my predictions a bit. Calling for a Stormers win is listening to my heart and head listening to peeps saying this is a weak touring Leinster side. Last two I have no idea and even the Lions and Zebre calls are difficult to make.

My picks:
Bulls
Munster
Lions
Sharks
Zebre
Stormers
Ospreys
Ulster

We'd probably be wanting 5 points here. Cardiff have nothing to play for. They can also go full strength with their section though. They've been unexpectedly crap this season.

Picks are:
Bulls
Munster
Lions
Sharks
Dragons
Leinster (if they pick their best available travelling 15 I think they have a very good shot)
Ospreys
Edinburgh

Won't get to watch this one but don't expect it to be fun. Stormers can score tries and our tackling was weak last Saturday. Also expecting a further weakened side without Porter, although maybe Kelleher will get minutes before the QF next week.

I expect that the Stormers will be going full tilt and hoping for a win. Not I'd think to climb any higher but to try and consolidate 2nd spot before we travel for the final round. Traditionally we travel poorly. Hence the importance of home advantage for play off matches as far as possible.

Sharks could get mugged by Connacht. Edinburgh have foundered since the 6N, lost all sorts of rhythm (outside of Durban). Lose to Ulster and I can see no way Edinburgh make it to a semifinal, and I was thinking them potential finalists earlier in the season. Can Mike Blair shake a team out of a funk in his debut season?

I don't rate Danny Wilson as a coach but he has been completely exceeding my expectations with a Glasgow side I consider pretty weak compared to what Townsend and Rennie had. If he can pull off a win at the Bulls it'll be pretty remarkable.

Like others, I've lost faith in the Scarlets and can see the Ospreys ending their season.

Zebre will lose to an improving Dragons (whose improvement continues to mystify me. Did they have a mid season injury crisis or something?).

A good perspective on fan engagement in SA towards the URC. Claims SA rugby bosses did not do enough to educate the rugby public here about foreign teams, that almost no one knows who the Ospreys are, so the fans are not sure what product they are supposed to consume.

I like the savvy business-minded talk that the CEOs of the Sharks and Bulls are preaching.

Bulls close to completing a consumer survey to better understand how they need to engage with fans.

Sharks could get mugged by Connacht.
They will be approaching Connacht much more seriously than the Leinster game, there was an air of complacency that kicked in with all the talk of a reserve squad of Leinster.

Connacht is a real do or die ***le game for the Sharks, need to win this to make sure that a top 4 is in our own hands.

Fully expecting us to win this comfortably.

Now the wait for line-ups. I suppose I'm going to have to get used to these coming out later in the week. Only injury concerns for us as far as I am aware are Ntubeni, Fourie and Pretorius none of which are serious as far as I know so we could potentially be at full strength for the first time this season on the weekend.

"Munster are the most-watched team in the URC so far with Leinster, Cell C Sharks, Connacht and DHL Stormers all following closely."

EZ

I don't rate Danny Wilson as a coach but he has been completely exceeding my expectations with a Glasgow side I consider pretty weak compared to what Townsend and Rennie had. If he can pull off a win at the Bulls it'll be pretty remarkable.

Danny Wilson has a knack of getting the most out of the players that he has and he's a decent forwards coach. He's well thought of here, but he did win the challenge cup so that helps!

Always thought he went into the international scene a bit early. He probably needs to stay in one job for an extended period to really see what his coaching potential is.

I was convinced you were pulling that out your backside. The worlds eyes are on Munster and Connacht. Who'd have thunk.

I was convinced you were pulling that out your backside. The worlds eyes are on Munster and Connacht. Who'd have thunk.
I mean we also usually have some of the highest jersey sales in club rugby. There was bizarrely like 4 lads on my Austrian rugby team with jerseys.

Last edited:

Latest posts