• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 17

I mean we also usually have some of the highest jersey sales in club rugby. There was bizarrely like 4 lads on my Austrian rugby team with jerseys.
At the risk of exposing my ignorance here I'll double down. I'm going to wildly attribute this (in part) to TG4 being FTA (and a more popular channel in western Ireland?) rather than the unfading allure of ToH in full flight.

My brain cannot conceive of a world where Connacht on a middling year draw in more viewers than Leinster. All totally baseless on my part! Not surprised there is no mention of Scotland. They even stopped showing the Melrose 7s after abandoning URC highlights. :(

Stormers
15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Seabelo Senatla, 13 Ruhan Nel, 12 Damian Willemse, 11 Leolin Zas, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Herschel Jantjies, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Hacjivah Dayimani, 6 Deon Fourie, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Adre Smith, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 JJ Kotze, 1 Steven Kitshoff (captain)

Substitutes: 16 Wilmar Arnoldi, 17 Brok Harris, 18 Neethling Fouche, 19 Salmaan Moerat, 20 Junior Pokomela, 21 Ben-Jason Dixon, 22 Paul de Wet, 23 Juan de Jongh

Would've preferred De Wet start at 9 but a strong side none the less. JJ Kotze getting a shot to step up at hooker.

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Simon Zebo; Ben Healy, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Thomas Ahern; Peter O'Mahony (C), Alex Kendellen, Jack O'Donoghue.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, Keynan Knox, Jason Jenkins, Jack Daly, Craig Casey, Joey Carbery, Shane Daly.

Love that team to bits given the injuries we have. That sub front row has me hot and bothered.

Cardiff: Hallam Amos; Owen Lane, Rey Lee-Lo, Max Llewellyn, Theo Cabango; Jarrod Evans, Lloyd Williams; Rhys Carré, Kristian Dacey, Dillon Lewis, Seb Davies, Rory Thornton, James Botham, Josh Navidi (capt.), James Ratti

Replacements: Kirby Myhill, Brad Thyer, Keiron Assiratti, Matthew Screech, Ellis Jenkins, Jamie Hill, Rhys Priestland, Garyn Smith.

Not a bad Cardiff side to be fair, even if they're in the mud right now. Surprised/happy Jenkins isn't starting. He's always good against us.

Pretty horrible selection for Glasgow. Weir at 10 plus inexperience at 12 and on the wing is not a combination to strike fear into the heart of opponents.

Glasgow Warriors (v Bulls at Loftus Versfeld, Friday @6pm): O Smith; J McKay, S Tuipulotu, S McDowall, C Forbes; D Weir, A Price; J Bhatti, G Turner, Z Fagerson, R Harley, R Gray, R Wilson©, R Darge, J Dempsey.

Substitutes: F Brown, O Kebble, S Berghan, K McDonald, T Gordon, J Dobie, R Thompson, S Johnson.

Unavailable for selection: Sebastian Canceilliere, Scott Cummings, Matt Fagerson, George Horne, Rufus McLean, Kyle Steyn.

Vodacom Bulls: C Moodie; J Verity-Arm, L Mope, C Hendricks, M Tambwe; M Steyn, Z Burger; G Steenekamp, J Grobbelaar, M Smith, W Steenkamp, R Nortje, M Coetzee©, A Botha, E Louw.

Substitutes: J Wessels, S Matanzima, D Smith, J Swanepoel, C Brink, E Papier, C Smith, H Vorster.

At the risk of exposing my ignorance here I'll double down. I'm going to wildly attribute this (in part) to TG4 being FTA (and a more popular channel in western Ireland?) rather than the unfading allure of ToH in full flight.

My brain cannot conceive of a world where Connacht on a middling year draw in more viewers than Leinster. All totally baseless on my part! Not surprised there is no mention of Scotland. They even stopped showing the Melrose 7s after abandoning URC highlights. :(
Has nothing to do with FTA.
Munster are consistently strong on market area. Adidas had projected to make some profit over 5 years when they took over Munster jerseys. And had the 5 year target made in 17months. All Blacks game helped but whatever about performances on the pitch Munster sell easily.
Leinster and Ulster are the same

Has nothing to do with FTA.
Munster are consistently strong on market area. Adidas had projected to make some profit over 5 years when they took over Munster jerseys. And had the 5 year target made in 17months. All Blacks game helped but whatever about performances on the pitch Munster sell easily.
Leinster and Ulster are the same
Tbf I think he more meant Connacht. Think it probably comes down to a lot of neutrals watching Connacht, and I'd say Friday night games do good tv numbers as they're awkward to actually attend.

Tbf I think he more meant Connacht. Think it probably comes down to a lot of neutrals watching Connacht, and I'd say Friday night games do good tv numbers as they're awkward to actually attend.
Add in Connacht (Galway) attracts alot of tourists and is a neutral fans interest

Glasgow We Are Warriors!
Munster
Lions
Sharks
Dragons
Leinster
Ospreys
Ulster

It's amazing how close and exciting the URC is this year.

I fear that next year may just be a 6 way battle between Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Stormers, Sharks and Bulls with the rest nowhere.

It's amazing how close and exciting the URC is this year.

I fear that next year may just be a 6 way battle between Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Stormers, Sharks and Bulls with the rest nowhere.
I would be very happy if the Stormers did en up being part of the mix as we are at the mo but TBH there is a lot of work to do and I fear our current position is largely based on us having an unbelievable run of luck of not having any serious injuries or injuries across the board. This is not normal for us. We tend to start strong and fade. Our board is still suspended and the franchise is under SARU administration and instead of announcing we are getting players in so far we've only heard of more leaving. But I have hope that this year can be built upon either way.

Leinster Rugby team to face DHL Stormers (appearances in brackets):

15. Max O'Reilly (8)
14. Adam Byrne (64)
13. Jamie Osborne (17)
12. Rory O'Loughlin (95)
11. Rob Russell (3)
10. Ciarán Frawley (51)
9. Cormac Foley (3)

1. Ed Byrne (83)
2. John McKee (1)
3. Thomas Clarkson (16)
4. Brian Deeny (1)
5. Josh Murphy (59)
6. Alex Soroka (3)
7. Scott Penny (39)
8. Rhys Ruddock (205) CAPTAIN

Replacements:

16. Lee Barron (1)
17. Michael Milne (16)
18. Vakh Abdaladze (16)
19. Jack Dunne (19)
20. Seán O'Brien (2)
21. Nick McCarthy (46)
22. Harry Byrne (33)
23. Martin Moloney (6)

Referee – C Evans (WRU)

Getting within 7 again would be a huge result. Losing big players from an already depleted squad. Have to wonder is Harry Byrne even fit enough to bench? And is Ala'alatoa gone back to Dublin?

Edinburgh (against Ulster at the DAM Health Stadium, Saturday 7.35pm): J van der Walt; D Hoyland, M Bennett, J Lang, E Boffelli; B Kinghorn, B Vellacott; P Schoeman, S McInally, W Nel, J Hodgson, G Gilchrist (captain), L Crosbie, H Watson, M Bradbury.

Substitutes: D Cherry, H Courtney, L Atalifo, P Phillips, B Muncaster, H Pyrgos, C Dean, M Currie.

Ulster: M Lowry; R Baloucoune, J Hume, S McCloskey, E McIlroy; W Burns, N Doak; A Warwick, R Herring, G Milasinovich, K Treadwell, I Henderson (captain), M Rea, N Timoney, D Vermeulen.

Substitutes: B Roberts, E O'Sullivan, R Kane, A O'Connor, M Rea, J Cooney, S Moore, R Lyttle.

I know nothing about Ulster but I dont like that Edinburgh lineup at all. Bofelli on the wing, no Moyano, Van der Walt at fullback and Kinghorn at 10 (rather than the other way around)? Lang and Hoyland playing in position but no great shakes.

The pack is great (despite missing Jamie Ritchie to long term injury) and that might be enough if Ulster don't fire on all cylinders. But I'll be surprised if Edinburgh score more than 23 points with that selection and in the modern game that might not be enough.

There's something quite satisfying about Zebo getting stopped from scoring twice within a minute.

Good game so far.

Edit: hope Ahern gets a load of opportunities now.

Glasgow did better than I expected, but not enough to win a point. If Scarlets win out and Glasgow lose the derby match they will be eliminated.

Didn't see the full game but first 20 or so minutes looked frantic in the Munster game, as it always is with Cardiff. Glad we pulled away though.

Latest posts