• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(2022 Rugby Championship - Round 5) - Australia V New Zealand (15/9/2022) [Bledisloe 1]

Foketi wasn't supporting his own body weight with the jackal anyway so Australia didn't deserve the penalty in the first place.
The ref called the first sealing off at 78 minutes. This is what people despise about rugby and it's laws. They are selectively enforced during the match.

I applaud raynals decision. He should have gone further and yellow carded Foley for an act that isn't in the spirit of the game . There needs to be a bigger crackdown on poor sportsmanship in general.

I hope and expect world rugby to Back this decision (unless the actual ruling of a scrum isn't right ?? And therefore world rugby should come out and say the ruling was too light). Will be great if this means teams stop wasting time in the future.

Pity foley did that in this game though; I would have rather we lost.

I didn't watch the game but suddenly Jonny Hill doesn't look so bad for giving Swain a bit of a shove and hair pulling. Absolute scumbag move that could have ended a players career. Last time I saw that was Lavanini on Hughes at the back of a maul. There is no way that sort of thing is accidental, that sort of thing is done with full intent to cause harm and should be a straight red every time with pretty severe consequences after the game. In many ways it's worse than many hits to the head you see getting reds.

Also I despise Raynal but my understanding was he explicitly told Foley to take the kick as soon as he called time on, he called time on and Foley simply turned his back on him, sauntered away for a bit and then decided to take the kick. sorry but if the ref tells you to do a specific thing and you very clearly make a point of doing the exact opposite, that's your own fault. The fact his own team mates were yelling at him before they were penalised for time wasting kinda supports the case that Foley is at fault, they could see he was going to be penalised before it happened yet he did it anyway.

Would love to know how long that kick took compared to other penalty kicks in the game, I bet there's some that took as long/longer

Seeing replays the decision doesn't look as bad - Raynal warns white to stop wasting time before Foley even gets the ball, so it was almost like a team yellow kinda situation rather than specifically just at Foley's actions
He then blows time off to warn Foley personally, but the forwards all decide to huddle then instead - he calls time on, Foley takes a second then realises his forwards are huddled so turns to them, gets yet another warning then as he starts the kicking action Raynal is already putting the whistle in his mouth

It's pedantic, and like I said before: I'd love to see the time comparison compared to other penalty kicks (especially ones during the yellow card periods) but it's in the rules and Aus were warned multiple times

Would love to know how long that kick took compared to other penalty kicks in the game, I bet there's some that took as long/longer

Some might be as long, but this one was different because it involved Raynal warning Foley to get on with it... four times by my count

Seeing replays the decision doesn't look as bad - Raynal warns white to stop wasting time before Foley even gets the ball, so it was almost like a team yellow kinda situation rather than specifically just at Foley's actions
He then blows time off to warn Foley personally, but the forwards all decide to huddle then instead - he calls time on, Foley takes a second then realizes his forwards are huddled so turns to them, gets yet another warning then as he starts the kicking action Raynal is already putting the whistle in his mouth

It's pedantic, and like I said before: I'd love to see the time comparison compared to other penalty kicks (especially ones during the yellow card periods) but it's in the rules and Aus were warned multiple times

If it had been warned to play immediately by Raynal after he blew for time back on then its a fair call.
If not dire;
Not a great game for team of 4 should surely have been a red for the lower limb target.
Always gives us something to talk about though.
Be boring if nowt to criticise refs about.

Here is the rundown, with times.

The referee warned Foley not to delay play twice before he called time off, then again after he called time off. Then, before he called time back on, he clearly told Foley to play the moment time was back on. He then called time back on, and what did Foley do... he turned around to talk to his team-mates. Anyone who does not believe me and has SkyTV in NZ, use your Sky remote, press the yellow button and choose "ALA" from the language options, and you can watch the game and hear the referee's microphone without the commentary.

After the referee has awarded the penalty kick and explained his reasons for it, here is what Raynal says and does.

78:51 "Quick play"
78:53 "Quick play"
78:57 - Whistle - "Time off" (clock stopped) "Quick play"
78:57 - "When I make(?) time back on, you play now"
78:57 - Whistle - "Time on"
After he calls time back on, Foley turns around to his teammates, and still hasn't kicked 10 seconds later, so Raynal correctly awards a scrum to the opposition.

Foley was extracting the urine - he was trying to wind the clock down as much as he could, pushed his luck too far and it backfired on him. Even his team-mate, No 12 was imploring him to kick because he could see what the referee was about to do.

There is an old saying in sport, and it applies as equally to rugby as it does to any other sport... "Never push the referee into making a decision that you might not like!"

Last edited:
Darcy swain used to be my favourite Australian player before he made the wallabies, then even after making the wallabies, until this year. If this was America he'd be sued big time for his behaviour.

Did he not also clear out tupaea In The head a few seconds earlier? So at least yellow for that, and if the leg thing was only a yellow, then at least that's two yellows and therefore a red. Plus it should have been a black card not just a red - 20 minutes is not sufficient for that.

Some might be as long, but this one was different because it involved Raynal warning Foley to get on with it... four times by my count

Here is the rundown, with times.

The referee warned Foley not to delay play twice before he called time off, then again after he called time off. Then, before he called time back on, he clearly told Foley to play the moment time was back on. He then called time back on, and what did Foley do... he turned around to talk to his team-mates. Anyone who does not believe me and has SkyTV in NZ, use your Sky remote, press the yellow button and choose "ALA" from the language options, and you can watch the game and hear the referee's microphone without the commentary.

After the referee has awarded the penalty kick and explained his reasons for it, here is what Raynal says and does.

78:51 "Quick play"
78:53 "Quick play"
78:57 - Whistle - "Time off" (clock stopped) "Quick play"
78:57 - "When I make(?) time back on, you play now"
78:57 - Whistle - "Time on"
After he calls time back on, Foley turns around to his teammates, and still hasn't kicked 10 seconds later, so Raynal correctly awards a scrum to the opposition.

Foley was taking the **** - he was trying to wind the clock down as much as he could, pushed his luck too far and it backfired on him. Even his team-mate, No 12 was imploring him to kick because he could see what the referee was about to do.

There is an old saying in sport, and it applies as equally to rugby as it does to any other sport... "Never push the referee into making a decision that you might not like!"
How long between awarding the penalty and calling time off? Did the wallabies have time to decide what they wanted ti do with the penalty?

Also, from the times you listed it looks like raynal said a lot and below two whistles all in the space of one second. Did you mistype?

Bernard Foley, who'd had a great game up to that point, rolled the dice with a French Referee and lost. That is no surprise to me, given the officials nationality.
Warned at the end of the 1st half; warned again when penalty awarded; time off blown; warned to kick immediately.....
Bernard's team mates knew. They were yelling and gestulating at him to kick the ball. Bernard thought he knew best.

Sounds like Foley was an idiot for not listening.

However, I do have an issue in that we could well never see a call like that again in similar situations. I understand Raynal told him to kick it, but all teams waste time and some refs allow them to. Inconsistency in officiating is one of the biggest issue and this doesn't help.

How long between awarding the penalty and calling time off? Did the wallabies have time to decide what they wanted ti do with the penalty?

Also, from the times you listed it looks like raynal said a lot and below two whistles all in the space of one second. Did you mistype?
game time would be standing still so it's 78:56/57 for all of the time off, discussion, and time on

foley then looked around for 10 seconds after the time on, which might as well be an eternity

Sounds like Foley was an idiot for not listening.

However, I do have an issue in that we could well never see a call like that again in similar situations. I understand Raynal told him to kick it, but all teams waste time and some refs allow them to. Inconsistency in officiating is one of the biggest issue and this doesn't help.
We'll likely never again see a call where a penalty for playing the ball in an offside position is changed to accidental; but in 2017 at Eden Park, that's exactly what a French Referee did.
Don't mess with them.

He then blows time off to warn Foley personally, but the forwards all decide to huddle then instead - he calls time on, Foley takes a second then realises his forwards are huddled so turns to them, gets yet another warning then as he starts the kicking action Raynal is already putting the whistle in his mouth

not exactly what you are looking for but I know from fast forwarding through games is that it normally takes 50-70 seconds to get from the whistle of the pk to the hooker actually throwing the ball in

Urgh. How can I justifiably continue as a rugby football union fan? On the one hand I've been calling out Saffas left right and centre for slamming refs and then on the other we have this aborted fetus of a sporting spectacle? Impossible. Space-time itself is about to tear open.

All I have to say is this.We could have had a live Bledisloe but instead a ref decided that rugby takes too long. No ******* **** ****, that's because you reset all the scrums.

I applaud raynals decision. He should have gone further and yellow carded Foley for an act that isn't in the spirit of the game . There needs to be a bigger crackdown on poor sportsmanship in general.

I hope and expect world rugby to Back this decision (unless the actual ruling of a scrum isn't right ?? And therefore world rugby should come out and say the ruling was too light). Will be great if this means teams stop wasting time in the future.

Pity foley did that in this game though; I would have rather we lost.
Course you fucken would. Applaud it.

Funny it's the first time it's been called, what, this century?

Rugby is nothing if not consistent ay

39 seconds. Actually technically within the rules. Not that that matters within a game of rugby football union. Pfft no. The refs what we are there to see motherfucker. And by God is he gunna do a thing.

I saw a tweet that summed it up nicely for me....if this is the first shot in a war against time wasting...then great, all for it...if this is a random one off implementation of the rules...then its harsh...correct but harsh

39 sec is a bloody long time to pretty much stand there looking at the sideline, how often have we seen a team kick for touch....walk as slow as they can to the line out and then just hold in the maul until they can kick it out. The crowd and his team mates were all yelling at him to play it...he seemed to be the only one who didn;t get it

@smartcooky jesus...where have you been?

great stadium, great view, great crowd (even after the result)...and getting a few "All Blacks" chants going for an away game was pretty awesome

IMG_8491.JPG

I saw a tweet that summed it up nicely for me....if this is the first shot in a war against time wasting...then great, all for it...if this is a random one off implementation of the rules...then its harsh...correct but harsh

39 sec is a bloody long time to pretty much stand there looking at the sideline, how often have we seen a team kick for touch....walk as slow as they can to the line out and then just hold in the maul until they can kick it out. The crowd and his team mates were all yelling at him to play it...he seemed to be the only one who didn;t get it

@smartcooky jesus...where have you been?

great stadium, great view, great crowd (even after the result)...and getting a few "All Blacks" chants going for an away game was pretty awesome

View attachment 15027
39 seconds isn't that long when the ref has called time off, your forwards have heard that and gone into a huddle and the the ref decides time is back on three seconds later.

Either way. The only take away anyone anywhere will have from that game is a debate about the ref. Putrid.

39 seconds isn't that long when the ref has called time off, your forwards have heard that and gone into a huddle and the the ref decides time is back on three seconds later.

Either way. The only take away anyone anywhere will have from that game is a debate about the ref. Putrid.
but it wasn;t time off for the 39 sec....that was 31 sec of the clock counting down before the ref called time off

Last edited:

Latest posts