Rounds 8 & 13 (catching up)

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Round 8
Sat 9 Apr Cardiff v Scarlets (3.10pm) Live on BBC Wales, Premier Sports & SuperSport

Round 13
Sat 9 Apr Stormers v Bulls (1pm) Live on SuperSport & Premier Sports
Sat 9 Apr Sharks v Lions (3.05pm) Live on SuperSport & Premier Sports

Some context:

Previous SA derby results

Fri 3 Dec Sharks 30-16 Bulls
Sat 4 Dec Stormers 19-37 Lions
Sat 22 Jan Lions 37-47 Sharks
Sat 22 Jan Bulls 26-30 Stormers
Sat 29 Jan Lions 10-34 Bulls
Sat 29 Jan Sharks 22-22 Stormers
Sat 5 Feb Bulls 21-13 Lions
Sat 5 Feb Stormers 20-10 Sharks
Sat 12 Feb Lions 10-32 Stormers
Sat 12 Feb Bulls 22-29 Sharks

Bulls have fired shots but might it end up in their own foot like last time. very cheeky. I for one prefer outcome over process so I say we beat Ulster and that is what the record says as well. Bulls love a bit of a dig though but should be wary. Cape Town and Pretoria are two very different places and at home I'll back our boys in what is shaping up as two critical inter-conference matches with all three of the Stormers, Bulls and Sharks breathing down each other's necks and not much room to slip up seeing as we all three have a foot only in the play-offs door.

Bulls arguably have the easiest run in post this week and will probably host a QF and even a SF if they beat us. We will be in a good space if we can get one over the old enemy with only really Leinster looming large ahead of us. Sharks have a 50/50 run in from here on out. *Should* make #8 position but we know how the Lions love to play spoilers. The margins are very slim.

I'm quite concerned about the game this weekend, but at the same time I felt the same way going into the same fixture earlier in the season. I felt we got completely neutralised after the first 20 minutes by Ulster and I'm concerned that with the Bulls now in a bit of a rhythm something similar could happen again. Should still be a close game though.

Stormers - Bulls will be big for our season. I think we ought to make the play-offs regardless should be win at least 2 of our other fixtures but a win here could potentially set us up to possibly secure what seems to be critical home advantage for the play-offs (although Leinster all but has the home final wrapped up if they don't stumble in the prelim play off matches).

Stormers team:
15 Damian Willemse, 14 Seabelo Senatla, 13 Ruhan Nel, 12 Rikus Pretorius, 11 Leolin Zas, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Herschel Jantjies, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Hacjivah Dayimani, 6 Deon Fourie, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Adre Smith, 3 Neethling Fouche, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff (captain)
Substitutes: 16 Chad Solomon, 17 Brok Harris, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Connor Evans, 20 Junior Pokomela, 21 Ben-Jason Dixon, 22 Paul de Wet, 23 Warrick Gelant

Deon Fourie back starting and so too Scarra Ntubeni which is huge as the Bulls' line-out is a threat on the steal. Gelant also back but will have to come on from the bench. So to me it looks like we will be taking a more conservative field position game and if we are within range at half time I hope we bring on De Wet (my preferred 9 at this stage unless Jantjies can find form) and Gelant from the bench.

Further than that I am happy for a 6-2 split seeing as between Libbok and Willemse we have two utility backs playing. Also helps as we are a bit lighter than the Bulls particularly so without Moerat at 4. Fourie, Kitshoff and Ntubeni will have have massive games!

Last edited:
Sharks team announced
15 Anthony Volmink, 14 Werner Kok, 13 Ben Tapuai, 12 Marius Louw, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Jaden Hendrikse, 8 Phepsi Buthelezi, 7 Henco Venter, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Reniel Hugo, 4 Gerbrandt Grobler, 3 Thomas du Toit (captain), 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Ox Nche

Substitutes: 16 Kerron van Vuuren, 17 Ntuthuko Mchunu, 18 Khutha Mchunu, 19 Le Roux Roets, 20 Jeandre Labuschagne, 21 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 22 Grant Williams, 23 Boeta Chamberlain

Not their best line-up of the year. Bosch especially will need to step up. I can certainly see the Lions upsetting them and/or them missing out on a QF spot.

Screenshot_20220407_181930.jpg

I think our coach is yet to understand what our best side is. James Venter, Dylan Richardson, deserve starting places nevermind not even making the URC squad. ***o Bonilla should bench with Boeta starting. I would play Bosch at 15, drop Volmink completely (not that he's been bad, surprised me actually)

This is a must win game against the Lions as the next game is against Leinster, hopefully Nkosi recovers from illness and Fassi gets fit by then.

This is a must win game against the Lions as the next game is against Leinster, hopefully Nkosi recovers from illness and Fassi gets fit by then.
I would just drop Bosch I am so tired of him. For some reason the coach just keep backing him. I will most likely get some backlash for this but Siya sucks. He is not on form and is not a captain (Waiting for the "but he won a world cup" bullshit remarks) and everytime he starts we are starting with 14 men. We already have Bosch and our coach that is handicap enough. Werner Kok is a complete loose cannon and I cannot wait to get nkosi back don't rate werner at all the only thing he have is work rate. We need fassi back. Volmink is okay but I would rather have him om the wing. Bonilla was a waste of money that oak cannot even play at currie cup level. James Venter should be starting and Jeandre is a real beast cannot wait too se more of him.

I would just drop Bosch I am so tired of him. For some reason the coach just keep backing him. I will most likely get some backlash for this but Siya sucks. He is not on form and is not a captain (Waiting for the "but he won a world cup" bullshit remarks) and everytime he starts we are starting with 14 men. We already have Bosch and our coach that is handicap enough. Werner Kok is a complete loose cannon and I cannot wait to get nkosi back don't rate werner at all the only thing he have is work rate. We need fassi back. Volmink is okay but I would rather have him om the wing. Bonilla was a waste of money that oak cannot even play at currie cup level. James Venter should be starting and Jeandre is a real beast cannot wait too se more of him.
I backed Bosch for a long, I am not one to get out the pitchforks very early, but I am starting to seriously doubt the future of Bosch at the Sharks.
Once Fassi is back I would play Bosch In the Currie Cup team, but at the moment I would put him at 15 in the URC squad. our other option Volmink is past it/only average IMO and Bosch as many bad things as you want to say about him, he at least is one of the best tactical kickers in the team, so he would bring much more value at 15 than at 10. I don't want him at first receiver, I think he stifles our attack, but if you think about it he can contribute from 15. Only placeholding for Fassi.

Bonilla is not such a bad buy? Don't know why you would say that? He got MoTM in the previous Curry Cup game. The dude needs some time he is a Spanish speaker in between a very diverse group of Afrikaans, English, Zulu and Xhosa players. Also a new environment. His diversity and alternative approach will come in handy.

Jeandre is looking very good but seems he is not yet considered a starter, Pepsi has seemingly won back the 8 Jersey from Notshe. Agree with you on Venter

What I love about Werner Kok is his commitment, he just seems to give everything for the Jersey and that's all I can ask for. We have too many games where our star players don't look interested. The whole squad has a questionable mentality. We don't put weak teams away and once we start winning we get complacent and put in **** poor performances. Coaches need to take the blame here. Cant wait for Neil Powell to come into the system.

Bulls
15 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 14 Canan Moodie, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Madosh Tambwe, 10 Chris Smith, 9 Zak Burger, 8 Elrigh Louw, 7 Cyle Brink, 6 Marcell Coetzee (captain), 5 Ruan Nortje, 4 Walt Steenkamp, 3 Mornay Smith, 2 Johan Grobbelaar, 1 Gerhard Steenekamp
Substitutes: 16 Bismarck du Plessis, 17 Simphiwe Matanzima, 18 Robert Hunt, 19 Janko Swanepoel, 20 Arno Botha, 21 Keagan Johannes, 22 Morne Steyn, 23 Cornal Hendricks

So far so good for us. Glad we chanced our arm and scored the try rather than just hoofing it out for half time so deep in our half.

We need to maintain discipline and get more accurate. The ref is blowing for small technical infringements so we need to be aware of that as it is stifling our attacking form and up the accuracy particularly around the ruck.

Stormers are in a really good place in terms of the URC ***le race at the moment

Its seems the word ***le. (Ti tle) is considered vulgar by the TRF text checker.

Volmink cant even catch a cold in this Durban weather

Bonus point victory, the team pulled through today and put in a great performance in terrible conditions. All you can ask. Will put us in good confidence for the Leinster visit.

If anything the Stormers coming out on top and the Sharks dismantling the Lions makes the SA conference even more tight at the top because even though the Bulls are at the bottom currently they have arguably the easiest run in and a few almost guaranteed 5 log pointers. We both have Glasgow at home but while they have Benetton (they'll probably want to set the record right what with the weird trouncing they had in the Rainbow Cup thingy), we have Leinster. And while they travel to the Ospreys, we will travel to a Scarlets side with probably a play off spot to play for.

Still, we did what we had to do even if it wasn't very accurate. Not that I expected free flowing rugby in this derby. The encouraging thing is we did it without Gelant. Which is good seeing as he is leaving us end of season.

Sharks also did what they had too. Their matches of Leinster and Connacht at home and away to Ulster is daunting. But they have opened a 14 point lead on the Scarlets who with two games in hand are probably the only feasible competitor for ousting them for a play off spot.

If anything the Stormers coming out on top and the Sharks dismantling the Lions makes the SA conference even more tight at the top because even though the Bulls are at the bottom currently they have arguably the easiest run in and a few almost guaranteed 5 log pointers. We both have Glasgow at home but while they have Benetton (they'll probably want to set the record right what with the weird trouncing they had in the Rainbow Cup thingy), we have Leinster. And while they travel to the Ospreys, we will travel to a Scarlets side with probably a play off spot to play for.

Still, we did what we had to do even if it wasn't very accurate. Not that I expected free flowing rugby in this derby. The encouraging thing is we did it without Gelant. Which is good seeing as he is leaving us end of season.

Sharks also did what they had too. Their matches of Leinster and Connacht at home and away to Ulster is daunting. But they have opened a 14 point lead on the Scarlets who with two games in hand are probably the only feasible competitor for ousting them for a play off spot.
Stormers can overtake, Glasgow if you beat them at home next weekend that should be top 4, but with Ulster playing home to Munster that could mean that if Ulster wins, and Stormers beat Glasgow then Stormers can go third.

Even if Munster wins and the Stormers beat Glasgow the Stormers go third, then Ulster drops out of the top 4.

If the Sharks (6th, 46 pts) can beat Leinster (1st) at home, and Stormers (5th, 47 pts) beat Glasgow (3rd, 50pts) then both teams will overtake the loser of the Ulster (2nd,50pts) vs Munster (4th,47 pts) game, as well as Glasgow them the log will have both top 4 tied with Munster in 2nd

If Munster beats Ulster:
1. Leinster
2. Munster
3. Stormers
4. Sharks

If Ulster beats Munster
1. Leinster
2. Ulster
3. Stormers
4. Sharks

Stormers can take second if they Beat Glasgow with a bonus point and Munster beats Ulster without a bonus point. Very plausible results.

Sharks are unlikely to beat Leinster IMO, we arent yet gelling as a team. Need to see more still in big games. But I hope it's a good contest at least.

*watches his predictions go up in smoke*
Edinburgh ease past Sharks. Lions smother Edinburgh. Sharks hammer Lions. I'm sure it all makes sense to someone.

Scarlets sadly the only possible interlopers on the playoff party. I hope they at least win the next couple to keep it interesting for them but those SA results are absolutely dire for the Scarlets chances.

Latest posts