• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 6 catch up games (11/12/13 March 2022)

1647001848738.png
That is an impressive looking Leinster line-up considering the men they are without. Man, wish we could boast the same sort of depth.

It's a good team considering but Ulster definitely have more front line guys and should be favourites at home.

Next year is going to be very interesting. We're los8ng at least 6 of that 23 so people are going to step up and we'll be relying on players to stay fit. Can see centre in particular being a problem area next year.

Edit:
Munster
Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Simon Zebo; Ben Healy, Neil Cronin; Josh Wycherley, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O'Donoghue (C), Chris Cloete, Alex Kendellen.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Mark Donnelly, John Ryan, Eoin O'Connor, John Hodnett, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Damian de Allende

Very small backrow for a game in SA. Interesting that it's Kendellen at 8.

Did not think Kendellen at 8 would be a runner, nor do I think it's a great idea. It's a backrow designed to poach ball first and foremost, with a lot being asked of O'Donoghue on the carrying front. Starting to wonder what Hodnett has to do to get a start.

Besides that it's as I expected. DDA probably isn't 100% fit. Glad to see Arno Botha is doing well at the Bulls. Honest player and a hard worker.

If this was in Ireland even with a weakened team I'd expect us to win, but this will be a big ask in South Africa.

Your saying that's a small backrow for a game in SA interests me. I find it quite strange listening to commentators talk of the "big SA pack" when in every single game our packs give away 30+ kgs. It particularly struck me in the last game where the commentator said it right as the pack weights were shown clearly showing the Lions at under 900kg packing down to scrum against somethign in the order of 920kg. Nevermind that the Lions had the upper hand in the scrum (largely thanks to Carlu Sadie)- they certainly weren't the bigger pack.

In saying that I do see Wikipedia has the Munster pack in at 890kg and the Bulls in at 918kg so I suppose my argument falls flat right there. Stormers at 871kg though.. Lions at 910kg but that drop sharply if you take away Sadie's 138kgs. The Sharks potentially have the heaviest pack if Le Rox Roets and Thomas du Toit add their bulk. Bulls bigger throughout with the Sharks lighter in the backrow but stacked in the tight 5 (apart from Andrews).

Last edited:
Hope everybody is ok to watch the teatime match. Looking forward to it.

We can field a pretty monstrous pack when we have our internationals and then Snyman to come. Then young guys like Ahern, Knox, Salanoa are also pretty large

This backrow in particular is pretty lightweight, they're all most natural at 7 in my opinion although O'Donoghue can play anywhere really. Both Wycherleys are pretty small for their positions too and Scannell is hardly a powerhouse.

I only caught the last few moments of the sharks game but if I read around they weren't exactly good value for the win? Could be a difficult game if that last passage is any indication. It was spoiling tactics and pick your penalty except that the ref actually awarded it. Even with the last movement there was offside and seat belt tackles on both Roets and Louw. Was that also typical of the match? If so I am certainly not gonna catch a replay. How was the Sharks' discipline? Feel that was where the Stormers list to Connacht last week - our discipline was atrocious.

Is there still restrictions around capacity in SA or is the interest just completely nonexistent?

Looks like **** all people attending. Not helped obviously by the way too big stadium for this game.

Is there still restrictions around capacity in SA or is the interest just completely nonexistent?

Looks like **** all people attending. Not helped obviously by the way too big stadium for this game.
Still restricted. We don't tend to fill our huge stadia bar the really big games but should be tenfold more easy week to week.

Just on attendance for rugby matches in SA. Apart from the restrictions ITO numbers I really wanted to take my boy to the Stormers-Zebre match as I am 15 minutes away from Coetzenburg in Stellenbosch while CT stadium is a 40 minute drive. I didn't even think about it prior but with vaccine restrictions I couldn't take my boy because he is younger than 12 years old so not even illegible to receive the vaccine at this stage. I see the there is noise being made from the Sharks camp at least trying to get the sports ministry to lift restrictions. Hopefully we'll see more numbers sooner rather than later. I think the enthusiasm is there.

Latest posts