• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 17

What a bonkers but fantastic match between the Ospreys and Scarlets. So glad I attended it. But why can't either team play such exciting and (relatively) error-free rugby like that more often?

Again great display by Leinster. Soraka looks like a real gem. Harry Byrne again I think is suffering from early hype and doesn't look like a standout international in the making.
But despite 2 LBP's Leinster will consider this a huge success as a whole in terms of using the tour to check fringe and youth.

Again great display by Leinster. Soraka looks like a real gem. Harry Byrne again I think is suffering from early hype and doesn't look like a standout international in the making.
But despite 2 LBP's Leinster will consider this a huge success as a whole in terms of using the tour to check fringe and youth.

I'd have thought someone like yourself would be well aware it's more likely injuries than hype that's affecting Byrne.

The only impact they hype has had is that there's a legion of people ready to stick a fork in his career. He's missed a lot of gametime the last year and a bit and that's having a bigger effect than anything. Also not sure what about yesterday would prompt the comment? Frawley was decent but Leinster didn't look like scoring a try until Byrne was on, even if they didn't have a scrumhalf for most of that time. He nailed a tough conversion to get the lbp and had some nice touch finders. It wasn't an amazing performance but not sure how a solid 7/10 gets us to give up on his prospects? The only thing he had that looked like a mistake was the grubber that went dead but about three different Leinster players begged Evans to check the TMO saying it went off a Stormer.

Allez, allez allez - Zebre! Zebre! All it took was 13 men Dragons for the last 10 minutes!

Seriously, they have improved since promoting their Argentine coach to head coach and have been competitive in a number of matches. He has done enough to get a crack at a full season I hope.
What a bonkers but fantastic match between the Ospreys and Scarlets. So glad I attended it. But why can't either team play such exciting and (relatively) error-free rugby like that more often?

Yep. A real endorsement of the format of the competition. Ospreys keep their Champions Cup hopes alive and eliminate a rival from playoff contention. From the highlights it seemed the crowd was buzzing.

I thought Edinburgh would struggle to score points with that selection and the weather wasn't great. But 10 points!? 7 of them coming from a moment of impulsive genius from Bennet. Plus an agonising knock on at the goal line with the last play of the game. The wheels are coming off Scottish rugby at all levels it seems and it'll be a limp exit for both clubs in the QFs.

Overall, there seems to be a bit of a buzz developing around the URC. In some ways its encouraging that solid sides like Ospreys, Connacht, Scarlets and Lions don't even get a sniff of the playoffs.

Oh wow, I hadn't noticed Ospreys had a game in hand. Top of the Welsh log is very much in the balance. Once again bonus points are going to play a crucial role.

Watching the Dragons Zebre game now. The Dragons area really snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Proper cripple fight,

I see McKee is starting today.

Typical Leinster stealing all of our talent smh.

I know this was tongue in cheek but apparently Ulster wanted him to play prop. Somewhat understandable give their resources but given his frame I don't think he'd be a pro player of he'd gone that route.

It truly is a tight contest 2 too 9. I mean we win a game and drop two log spots. Kind of sums up our win TBH. Too much to contemplate despite the fact that the record will show we beat one of Europe's best. I hope we don't simply gloss over all there was to improve on. The line out remains a mess. Discipline can still be sharper. Roos, antics in particular left me fuming. Then we left so many points go begging. Can't afford that. Against a full complement Leinster in a Dublin URC final we won't have so many opportunities.

I hope we don't simply gloss over all there was to improve on.
we simply can't afford to do that. Scarlets are likely going to be playing against us tied on points with Ospreys, so they'll have massive fight in them and playing at home. Stormers need to sharpen things up, especially in the lineout, to potentially get second place.

I'd have thought someone like yourself would be well aware it's more likely injuries than hype that's affecting Byrne.

The only impact they hype has had is that there's a legion of people ready to stick a fork in his career. He's missed a lot of gametime the last year and a bit and that's having a bigger effect than anything. Also not sure what about yesterday would prompt the comment? Frawley was decent but Leinster didn't look like scoring a try until Byrne was on, even if they didn't have a scrumhalf for most of that time. He nailed a tough conversion to get the lbp and had some nice touch finders. It wasn't an amazing performance but not sure how a solid 7/10 gets us to give up on his prospects? The only thing he had that looked like a mistake was the grubber that went dead but about three different Leinster players begged Evans to check the TMO saying it went off a Stormer.
Harry made alot of little errors. And seems to do it frequent. Never denied it was because of injuries or gametime BUT still just seems a long way off great saviour that media hyped him to be. Never said give up on him but more he does need alot of work. And regards injuries. Many before have had talent and weren't durable.

we simply can't afford to do that. Scarlets are likely going to be playing against us tied on points with Ospreys, so they'll have massive fight in them and playing at home. Stormers need to sharpen things up, especially in the lineout, to potentially get second place.
I think that the pathway to beating the Scarlets has been laid out the last few weeks, as it had been clear in the first half of the season. The Ospreys bullied and battered them in the forwards, something I also saw Munster do to them away when they lost by a good margin in Ireland.

If you boys are sending your full team I can't see anything other than a BP win out in West Wales by the end of the game.

On another note, good from a welsh perspective to see the Ospreys pack looking menacing again. Dewi Lake has been fantastic in the last couple of games.

Because then it means the league is very competitive, and only the best most consistent version of your team is required to make the playoffs.
Exactly. In order for a regular season to mean something, playoffs have to be an actual achievement. That unfortunately means decent sides have to miss out. For comparison see Super Rugby Pacific where 8 sides out of 12 make it to the playoffs.

OR

I just hate all those teams I mentioned, so it's great they are missing out. :p

Latest posts