• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Compareview

M

Mr. Laxative

Well after finally having time with both games I thought it a good idea that I take to reviewing them.

Graphics
RC2006 Rugby Challenge has such a unique graphics system. Using what seems to be a cartoonish system it is able to show near perfectly that it is an arcade game. The stadiums and crowd are also highly detailed (albeit cartoony) and Swordfish have taken a lot of time to get the surroundings right. Also the inlusion of different weather and breath coming from the players mouths add to the atmosphere. 8/10

Rugby 06 This was always going to be the game with the best player models. The stadiums have been re-defined for even more realism. With, uh, 3D grass, moving flags, rolling banners and stand up crowds the atmosphere is really enhanced. Add in superb lighting and weather and steam from the scrum and you experience some stunning visuals. 9/10

Gameplay
RC2006 To be honest this game doesn't feel like the rugby I play - that I know and love. It plays very much like the tight, forward based Northern Hemisphere game that I've always hated... until now. The guys at Swordfish have done an outstanding job with fluid animations that don't really affect control, sprinting is well implemented and adds to the difficulty of the game. With little gaps on the field you are forced to step, fend or barge your way through the line. Although there aren't any setplays you can still craft them using the excellent passing mechanics. Offloads are effective, although sometimes you may lose the ball so don't always try them. The mauls and scrums may get easy, even tedious after a while but they're a lot better than EA's attempt (I'd maybe like to see a strike button for scrums which could effect who wins the ball. Big hits are well implemented and the ball isn't always lost. The only possible downfall is the rucks. They are incredible slow and although the system is great it is so difficult to force turnovers - often you see 17 phases without the ball - then 18 with, mind you. I love the kicking system, and you can jump for the ball as well. 9/10

Rugby 06 Fun but repetitive. Stepping, fending and barging works this time and with the inclusion of offloads there is the ability to score incredible tries. Unfortunately, lineouts need some work, as do scrums, as do kicks. The new setplays are great and very fluid, but you rarely find much variation. Apart from the occasions where you can get a few offloads away and score in the corner there is always a line break which invariably results in a try. The rucking a mauling system is a little improved - for expample handling doesn't always work. Only if you are dominating the scrimmage will it be pulled off.. whether you are penalised or not is the refs call. High tackles are a great inclusion and the AI gives away as many penalties as you would. Unfortunately though it has just fallen short of expectations. 7/10

Sound
RC2006 Sound is Rugby Challenge is basic and repetitive. The same grunts, the same chants from the crowd, the looping menu music. The commentary though is subtle, but well placed. Occasionally naming players, sometimes outlining the rules, sometimes making a comment on how a ball endangered the spectators more than the posts! The commentary is very imaginative and with different languages to chose from - you can't go wrong. 7/10

Rugby 06 EA have taken the Challenge by the throat and torn it to pieces. The atmosphere is incredible! Loud crowds at right times, appropriately sounding refs and very fluid commentary - although maybe still a little cut and paste. The player grunts and music after tries are scored is great and finally a damn good soundtrack. Beauty! 10/10

Features
RC2006 With a great number of NH licences Swordfish have taken to the stage in style - mardi gras style. With plenty of tournaments - licenced or pseudo - a Career Mode, Challenge matches and great training options a great game has been put together. And there is a customiser which can be used to edit the names of unlicenced teams, tournaments or players add in plenty of unlockables and you have a super (arcade) sim! 9/10

Rugby 06 Well they've held on to the SH licences along with most Northern Countries. This year EA have got hold of the Premiership licence which has added to the NH appeal dramatically, although minus licenced French, Italian and Celtic clubs, those in the European Cup are just pseudo. Unfotunately there isn't a name changer, but it isn't too concerning. With Create a Player and an updated World League EA must have had HB doing something. With a few unlockables Rugby 06 will please the fans. 8/10

Overall
RC2006 8/10
Rugby 06 8.5/10

Good review, seems like i haven't gone for the wrong option with Rugby 06, i despise arcadey games.

I was considering RC 06 for a bit of fun but your good (and first non-biased) review has saved my wallet some money.

As a question, do the players all have correct names, or some incorrect?

BM

It says arcadey but it still feels sort of like rugby. My review is only an opinion and personally I enjoy RC2006, it just turned out that Rugby 2006 had better sound which pushed it past Challenge by 0.5/10 in the overall. I'd still suggest hiring the game and see what you think.

Not all players have correct names as some are unlicenced. All that play for a Celtic, Premiership or Top 14 team they have the right names, SH and others do not, but you can change them.

Meh, apart from the 9/10 for gameplay for RC2006, and the 8/10 gameplay for R06, looks good Jacky.

I agree with the final scores.

My opinion. I just find scoring on Rugby 06 too easy, maybe you think otherwise kathy!?

Nope. Scoring is getting easier and easier on Rugby 06. What I meant was, Rugby 06 probably deserves a 7 IMO.

RC2006 probably a 7 as well for gameplay. Theres a lot both of them still need imo. Mainly in the ***** ass ol' AI department.

But it was a good review. Very fair.

All in all though, you're right. They are very evenly matched games overall and your enjoyment would come solely from what you want in it. They are very different, but both good, not great, games.

Yes if we just had my rucking and mauling idea from a different thread (which i'll bring back to your attention soon) we'd have a near perfect rugby game.

Originally posted by Jacko@Mar 7 2006, 10:34 AM
Well after finally having time with both games I thought it a good idea that I take to reviewing them.

Graphics
RC2006 Rugby Challenge has such a unique graphics system. Using what seems to be a cartoonish system it is able to show near perfectly that it is an arcade game. The stadiums and crowd are also highly detailed (albeit cartoony) and Swordfish have taken a lot of time to get the surroundings right. Also the inlusion of different weather and breath coming from the players mouths add to the atmosphere. 8/10

Rugby 06 This was always going to be the game with the best player models. The stadiums have been re-defined for even more realism. With, uh, 3D grass, moving flags, rolling banners and stand up crowds the atmosphere is really enhanced. Add in superb lighting and weather and steam from the scrum and you experience some stunning visuals. 9/10

Gameplay
RC2006 To be honest this game doesn't feel like the rugby I play - that I know and love. It plays very much like the tight, forward based Northern Hemisphere game that I've always hated... until now. The guys at Swordfish have done an outstanding job with fluid animations that don't really affect control, sprinting is well implemented and adds to the difficulty of the game. With little gaps on the field you are forced to step, fend or barge your way through the line. Although there aren't any setplays you can still craft them using the excellent passing mechanics. Offloads are effective, although sometimes you may lose the ball so don't always try them. The mauls and scrums may get easy, even tedious after a while but they're a lot better than EA's attempt (I'd maybe like to see a strike button for scrums which could effect who wins the ball. Big hits are well implemented and the ball isn't always lost. The only possible downfall is the rucks. They are incredible slow and although the system is great it is so difficult to force turnovers - often you see 17 phases without the ball - then 18 with, mind you. I love the kicking system, and you can jump for the ball as well. 9/10

Rugby 06 Fun but repetitive. Stepping, fending and barging works this time and with the inclusion of offloads there is the ability to score incredible tries. Unfortunately, lineouts need some work, as do scrums, as do kicks. The new setplays are great and very fluid, but you rarely find much variation. Apart from the occasions where you can get a few offloads away and score in the corner there is always a line break which invariably results in a try. The rucking a mauling system is a little improved - for expample handling doesn't always work. Only if you are dominating the scrimmage will it be pulled off.. whether you are penalised or not is the refs call. High tackles are a great inclusion and the AI gives away as many penalties as you would. Unfortunately though it has just fallen short of expectations. 7/10

Sound
RC2006 Sound is Rugby Challenge is basic and repetitive. The same grunts, the same chants from the crowd, the looping menu music. The commentary though is subtle, but well placed. Occasionally naming players, sometimes outlining the rules, sometimes making a comment on how a ball endangered the spectators more than the posts! The commentary is very imaginative and with different languages to chose from - you can't go wrong. 7/10

Rugby 06 EA have taken the Challenge by the throat and torn it to pieces. The atmosphere is incredible! Loud crowds at right times, appropriately sounding refs and very fluid commentary - although maybe still a little cut and paste. The player grunts and music after tries are scored is great and finally a damn good soundtrack. Beauty! 10/10

Features
RC2006 With a great number of NH licences Swordfish have taken to the stage in style - mardi gras style. With plenty of tournaments - licenced or pseudo - a Career Mode, Challenge matches and great training options a great game has been put together. And there is a customiser which can be used to edit the names of unlicenced teams, tournaments or players add in plenty of unlockables and you have a super (arcade) sim! 9/10

Rugby 06 Well they've held on to the SH licences along with most Northern Countries. This year EA have got hold of the Premiership licence which has added to the NH appeal dramatically, although minus licenced French, Italian and Celtic clubs, those in the European Cup are just pseudo. Unfotunately there isn't a name changer, but it isn't too concerning. With Create a Player and an updated World League EA must have had HB doing something. With a few unlockables Rugby 06 will please the fans. 8/10

Overall
RC2006 8/10
Rugby 06 8.5/10
Good review although I would disagree on the game play - I find RC06 far too arcadey and simple and I quickly got bored with the game play on single player. I would give it a 6 or maybe 7 out of ten.

R06 however gets better and better for me on the gameplay stakes and I'd give it an 8 out of ten, but only when you play as a weaker team. It is too easy when playing as a top team but its a completely different game when playing as a team with a 70 rating or below I find

Great Review Jacko, although I'll still buy Rugby 06, purely based on Sackman's insightful comments...

Latest posts