• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Naas Botha

H

Huckleberry

Naas Botha was born on 27 February 1958.
Played Flyhalf for South Africa and Northen Transvaal.
Played his first test for South Africa at the age of 22.
He was one of the greatest kickers with left and right foot.
He scored 2,511 points in first class mathes
CAREER STATS:
Played:28 Matches
Test Points:312
Tries:2
Penalties:50
Conversions:50
Drop Goals:18
Played for South Africa from April 26 1980 till Novenber 14 1992

He would have score more points if South Africa wasn't isolated because of apartheid.
He was nicknamed Nasty Booter by the Brithish press when the Brithish Lions tour South Africa.
Naas Botha was best remembered for his abilities as a very successful drop-kicker in high pressure sitsuations and also consider to have had an outstanding tactical understanding of rugby.

While Botha was sometimes criticized for avoiding physical contact and not running with the ball, his handling of the ball was very deft and he could get his backline moving very quickly with accurate short and long range passing. As a result, he scored many tries and contributed to many more. However, some consider that he was somewhat weak in defence.

I`ll second that Huckleberry, even though the ******* couldn`t tackle, and even though he was a Blou Bul.

Just don`t know about the commentating career these days: "On the UDDER hand, Darren...."

he was before my time... but my dad talks about him alot. my real old school when it comes to rugby... he rates test wins over in SA higher then RWC wins.

apprently high up on the veldt at altitude this guy kicked a goal from close to his 22?? maybe someone can confirm...

i never actually saw him play but like i said... alot of the oldies rate him highly...

Some more Naas Botha stats: Provincial rugby

Career matches
179 Naas Botha (1977-1992)

Matches as captain
128 Naas Botha

Currie Cup Matches
123 Naas Botha

Career Points
2511 Naas Botha (179 matches: 14.03 average)

Most Points in a Season
323 Naas Botha (1987)
268 Naas Botha (1985)
250 Naas Botha (1978)

Most Points in a Currie Cup Match
34 Naas Botha (Zimbabwe, 1979) His personal best, there are players that have more.

Most Penalties in a Currie Cup Match
8 Naas Botha (Zimbabwe, 1979)

Most Drop Goals in a Match
5 Naas Botha (Natal, 1992)

These are Naas Botha's stats for Northern Transvaal, other players may have more points or matches for their respective teams.

Still very impressive.

Infact alot of people believe that had we not been banned from international sport during the eighties, Naas would probably be the highest soring springbok in our history.

( Percy Montgomery is the highest point scorer for the green and gold at someting above 600 points )

Still very impressive.

Infact alot of people believe that had we not been banned from international sport during the eighties, Naas would probably be the highest soring springbok in our history.

( Percy Montgomery is the highest point scorer for the green and gold at someting above 600 points )
[/b]

Well done Boggle, another Saffa for Hall of Fame! Naas was a guy a lot of people loved to hate, especially because of that "nasty boot" of his that changed the outcome of many a currie cup match. I had the oppertunity to go with my dad when I was about 6 to loftus and watch him play, someone (Ray Mordt if I remember correctly) took Naas out while the latter was in the air, I remember their being a huge fight in the crowd because the bull supporters were so upset. Naas was the Bull's darling. Pity about the defence though but the man could read a match like no one else!

So, is that it then, end of discussion. Is Naas in or is there something on de udder hand Dêrrin?

So, is that it then, end of discussion. Is Naas in or is there something on de udder hand Dêrrin?
[/b]

He realy is one of if not the biggest rugby legend in S.A.
All credit to you huck for Raising your voice on this rugby HERO