• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nation Eligibilty Catch-All Thread

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere and for this being a bit of a tangent, but me like (both from an English perspective and in terms of reducing player drain from other nations).

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere and for this being a bit of a tangent, but me like (both from an English perspective and in terms of reducing player drain from other nations).

'The RFU has previously stated that from August 2024 onwards the intention is to make it compulsory for clubs to have 15 English-qualified players (EQPs) in a matchday squad and to overhaul the foreign player rule.'

I can see the "race to the bottom" being an issue, 20 year olds capped by Scotland or Wales mean they go from EQP and part of that 15 to fighting with the foreign players for a place.

Last edited:
'The RFU has previously stated that from August 2024 onwards the intention is to make it compulsory for clubs to have 15 English-qualified players (EQPs) in a matchday squad and to overhaul the foreign player rule.'

I can see the "race to the bottom" being an issue, 20 year olds capped by Scotland or Wales mean they go from EQP and part of that 15 to fighting with the foreign players for a place.
Oh, I wasnt thinking of it that way. That way it may discourage a player raised in the English system, but with a granny from another country from jumping ship to that union, both at a young age and more generally (might not get into a match day 23 in England and so would be committing to a career and life elsewhere).

"I was told it would be like a working holiday in some quaint, rural backwards city that I would only have to visit a few times a year. No one actually bloody told me I'd have to move to Scotland permanently! That wasn't in the agreement."

"I was told it would be like a working holiday in some quaint, rural backwards city that I would only have to visit a few times a year. No one actually bloody told me I'd have to move to Scotland permanently! That wasn't in the agreement."
And likely committing to a long term pay cut. I'm starting to like this change more and more. :D

Won't change anything really only maybe LI.
But most clubs seem to hit at least 15 EQP a game on the whole

But another thing that penalises teams with more players in the England squad.

would be cool if LI and the other exile clubs had special rules for historical reasons

really don't like the South African and Pacific Islander exemption. There shouldn't be different levels of foreign players if not legally required. There aren't many American players knocking on the door of the Premiership but it puts them at disadvantage compared to those nations.

would be cool if LI and the other exile clubs had special rules for historical reasons

really don't like the South African and Pacific Islander exemption. There shouldn't be different levels of foreign players if not legally required. There aren't many American players knocking on the door of the Premiership but it puts them at disadvantage compared to those nations.
Agree on South Africans, they have their own clubs. Pacific Islanders are different they need to play abroad to get good quality rugby.

Agree on South Africans, they have their own clubs. Pacific Islanders are different they need to play abroad to get good quality rugby.
they have two sides in super rugby. All tier 2 nations should have an exemption or none should. I think the owners just lobbied to keep their cheap labor.

they have two sides in super rugby. All tier 2 nations should have an exemption or none should. I think the owners just lobbied to keep their cheap labor.

Didn't it come down to EU Politics etc more than a Prem rugby thing.
For example Kolpak granted EU rights to members of countries who signed an agreement

It was far bigger than rugby and nothing to do with "cheap Rugby labour"

Didn't it come down to EU Politics etc more than a Prem rugby thing.
For example Kolpak granted EU rights to members of countries who signed an agreement

It was far bigger than rugby and nothing to do with "cheap Rugby labour"
originally yeah the kolpak agreement required the four freedoms to be extended to any country that had a similar agreement with the EU. Now that the UK is no longer part of the EU they no longer have their hand forced by greater powers.

originally yeah the kolpak agreement required the four freedoms to be extended to any country that had a similar agreement with the EU. Now that the UK is no longer part of the EU they no longer have their hand forced by greater powers.
But... existing contracts deserve to be honoured; as breaching them would be illegal

But... existing contracts deserve to be honoured; as breaching them would be illegal
I'm not saying they shouldn't be . . . I think we've both on this board long enough that my position on foreign player quotas is quite clear

additionally, my point of contention with the RFU's "compromise" is precisely the fact that it doesn't just extend the exemption for players who were already under contract prior to the UK's leave of the EU rather than extending the exemption to all players. i.e. a Fijian player who signed a contract in 2023 would still count as a non-foreign player for the 2023-2024 season as long as they were Fijian prior to January 1, 2021.

Additionally part deaux, I would argue that you could immediately put the changes into affect without forcing the clubs to breach their contracts, as the regulations have to do with how many players you can field of non-uk status rather than contract of non-uk status

Munster sign 'Irish qualified' centre Antoine Frisch. English mum, French dad. Gotta love those grandparents :rolleyes:

Then again, if he'd been Welsh or Scottish he would have already been capped after 5mins or rugby for Bristol.

I saw earlier that Callum Braley has retired from International rugby - I remember reading that he didn't really settle in Italy and wanted to move back to England (hence the Saints move). I wonder if he'll grow to regret the Italy caps as when the foreign player limit gets dropped down he could struggle for game time/contract offers

I saw earlier that Callum Braley has retired from International rugby - I remember reading that he didn't really settle in Italy and wanted to move back to England (hence the Saints move). I wonder if he'll grow to regret the Italy caps as when the foreign player limit gets dropped down he could struggle for game time/contract offers
With the new rule allowing players to switch nation three years after their last Cap, would Braley become EQP (England Qualified player) again around the time of this proposed foreign player limit?

As part of their appeal this week Spain are apparently going to suggest that the grounds of their expulsion should apply to other nations. Specifically, the finding that if a player makes reference to their country of birth as 'home' it should reset the clock on their residency period in the country they are playing in. Pierre Schoeman is being cited as an example.

Their appeal is doomed but I hope someone is monitoring social media for guys who qualified in 2021 purely to the 11th hour extension of the 3 year residency rule. Then sit on repeat evidence until after the RWC, get all the matches annulled and make any offending nation miss out on auto-qualification for then 2027 by having finished third in their group, forcing World Rugby to open up the closed shop. A man can dream. :)

Latest posts