National anthem for England

Ragey Erasmus

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
Most likely been discussed before but do people here think England should have it's own anthem rather than the British one and what do you think would work? Personally I think Land of Hope and Glory would be so much better than god save the queen. Eg 4:36 - 6:00 in the following video http://youtu.be/A1zyvlkhROU?t=4m36s

Thoughts?

To be accompanied by a video board compilation of England's players training in sped up film....footage of the nation's most celebrated streakers, and various tarts/"scrubbers" that have attended rugby matches...the choice is clear....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's basically between Land of Hope and Glory and Jerusalem. I would go with Jerusalem.

Although my first choice would be I Vow to Thee, My Country. The structure of it just makes it too difficult as an anthem, and it would tread on World in Union being used as a "rugby anthem".

I really do hope they get rid of God Save the Queen. Aside from being British, it's just a bit dull. It can't be belted out like Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory.

My vote's for Jerusalem; bow of burning gold, chariot of fire and all that. Land of Hope and Glory would probably be better for the format though (i.e. shorter).

It's basically between Land of Hope and Glory and Jerusalem. I would go with Jerusalem.

Although my first choice would be I Vow to Thee, My Country. The structure of it just makes it too difficult as an anthem.

This^

I think it's almost inevitable that Jerusalem would be picked in any case, it's by far and away the most popular.
I really don't understand why more sports bodies haven't done it, I guess they are scared of possibly breaking protocol.

We should definitely play this during the warmup though...

Has to be this

[video=youtube_share;_B0CyOAO8y0]http://youtu.be/_B0CyOAO8y0[/video]

Can't we just change the British anthem? I hate 'God Save the Queen', it's just insanely boring, and I'm unsure how many Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish people affiliate with the anthem. This is made worse by the fact that it's the English national anthem as well. I don't think I could bring myself to sing it if I were a successful athlete in the Olympics for example.

It isn't the British anthem, it represents the UK. England does not have a national anthem dullonien, but it is used in sport for England. The verse which features "rebellious Scots to crush" was a response to the Jacobite rebellion. If you consider that Wales is part of an English conquest then it is as much Welsh as English BOOM! So sing away :)

Can't we just change the British anthem? I hate 'God Save the Queen', it's just insanely boring, and I'm unsure how many Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish people affiliate with the anthem. This is made worse by the fact that it's the English national anthem as well. I don't think I could bring myself to sing it if I were a successful athlete in the Olympics for example.
Rule, Britannia! is almost certainly my favourite for Britain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgd9nYqVz2s#t=30s

Freaking hear that crowd. Get a singer in for the first part, then the crowd belts out the "Rule, Britannia!" part. I like it because I think that since Britain rarely comes together as a team, having a simple anthem to sing means maximum participation, and reference to Britain makes it inclusive. And the pomp of it all is just excellently British. :p

Too simple though? Land of Hope and Glory could work too.

Last edited:
As has been said, it's no more the English national anthem than it is the Kiwi national anthem.
It's pretty much a Commonwealth anthem.

We sing it in lieu of our own official one.

While I love I Vow To Thee, My vote would by for Jerusalem.

My vote for a new British anthem would be the Imperial March. Yes, from Star Wars.

My vote would be I vow to thee, too.

But seriously, just anything that doesn't make the opposition hate us even more than they already do. In that regard, to sing an anthem such as God save the queen' just seems highly counter-intuitive. Object should be to take the fight out of the opposition, any means being fair game.

I like 'Jerusalem' also, but imagine 80k at twickers trying to hit the high notes ;)

Pretty sure they play 'Land of Hope and Glory' at the Commonwealth games, when GB is split up.

Also, if they used 'Pomp and Circumstance' that would be great to watch as the crowd bounces (Check out last night of the Proms for what I'm talking about)

Latest posts