• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New 12s competition.

It's a ridiculous idea.
We already have 7's and 10's for those who have the concentration of a gnat !
Copying the 100 says it all.

Well for me
7's isn't really as entertaining.
10's doesn't ha e the traction outside of Asia
XV's is pretty boring for a neutral, people can say it's a attention thing reality is it's just not that entertaining as a sport. Look at the lions, billed as the top by the media and it was dog shot to watch.

Rugby isn't boring most of the time.
But kicking the ball ever time you touch it is boring and that's what we got with the Lions series.
Most go to the Rugby for something to eat and drink these days, they can't sit still for a minute. Maddening :mad:.

Rugby isn't boring most of the time.
But kicking the ball ever time you touch it is boring and that's what we got with the Lions series.
Most go to the Rugby for something to eat and drink these days, they can't sit still for a minute. Maddening :mad:.
There is far too much brainless/aimless kicking in rugby - why gift the ball to the opposition ?
If you're going to kick make sure it's an intelligent kick that's going to at least apply real pressure on the opposition etc - otherwise keep the ball in hand taking it through plenty of phases, so either run the ball through your backs or execute smart kicking from your playmakers... also because the forwards are going through a heap of phases the opposition will tire through tackling, then they're very likely give away penalties too.

Stupid idea and I hope it fails. If WR sorted out the laws in the 15 game we wouldn't be needing anything else. But rather than fix the laws they crest more stupid ones and now want people to kick more.

I hate what's happening to rugby.

Well for me
XV's is pretty boring for a neutral, people can say it's a attention thing reality is it's just not that entertaining as a sport. Look at the lions, billed as the top by the media and it was dog shot to watch.
if we concede these points, and i dont know i do, but if we do...is the answer just to make a new format, or do we need to look at the formats the existing competitions are presented, 7's use to be on a skyward trajectory, we should try and get back to that

Proposed for next August.

12s could be the saviour of international Rugby. With vastly improved fitness and power, better defensive patterns and technique, multiple interchanges and only the gain line separating defence from attack, there are now too many players on the field. It's the main reason for kick and chase becoming the dominant form of attack. It could also hasten the merging of the 2 rugby codes which might be a good thing.

You won't get any international players playing it, though, or any real top level players at all

I mean they're tapping up Giteau/Mitchell/AAC to play in it - like I said above: It's just gonna be retired guys, semi-pro/amateurs and 7s guys

12s could be the saviour of international Rugby. With vastly improved fitness and power, better defensive patterns and technique, multiple interchanges and only the gain line separating defence from attack, there are now too many players on the field. It's the main reason for kick and chase becoming the dominant form of attack. It could also hasten the merging of the 2 rugby codes which might be a good thing.
Who the heck wants the two Rugby codes to merge ? I don't know any Rugby fan that thinks that way here.

Well for me
XVs can be an exciting sport right now, but right now in a game with effectively now laws it's rather boring I agree.

This is just a stupid idea. Just what's the point?

i wouldnt say kick and chase is the dominant for of attack so i have a problem with you premice to start with

perhaps they will go to13's have chicken scratch lscrums ,no rucks or mauls ,and claim it is to make it more popular , like that other form of the game that is more popular in , 2 places

perhaps they will go to13's have chicken scratch lscrums ,no rucks or mauls ,and claim it is to make it more popular , like that other form of the game that is more popular in , 2 places
two places?

I don't mind it.
My hope is that it becomes something to help boost 7's players wages.

Especially in Europe if 12's can kick off, maybe see a domestic summer league.
There is a lot of talent in countries that do miss out on the XV's academies and since most second divisions and 7's are not really viable full time I somewhat dream that this could be a way to try and keep them in the sport.

It's a hope personally I don't see it kicking off.

I will also say I think 12's makes more sense than 10's
Seems extremely unlikely to me that sevens players would make the cut based on the design intent. It's supposed to be the best players in the world, at twelves obviously, which isn't going to include many sevens players, if any.

of course, the design intent is also not something likely to occur without world rugby playing their part to reorganize the global calendar.

Seems extremely unlikely to me that sevens players would make the cut based on the design intent. It's supposed to be the best players in the world, at twelves obviously, which isn't going to include many sevens players, if any.

of course, the design intent is also not something likely to occur without world rugby playing their part to reorganize the global calendar.
dont forget 7's also has the olympics as a goal for a lot of players, would be hard to lure them to something else

i just dont get why create more competitions to compete with each other for sponsorship dollars and players as well as the public attention

take them same money and put it into marketing existing comps or to allow fully profession, make the existing comps better/more popular

dont forget 7's also has the olympics as a goal for a lot of players, would be hard to lure them to something else

i just dont get why create more competitions to compete with each other for sponsorship dollars and players as well as the public attention

take them same money and put it into marketing existing comps or to allow fully profession, make the existing comps better/more popular
Well the idea is that everyone is going to watch this thing - a short event tailored to modern day attention spans, exciting rugby but still rugby, has the best players in the world, has a festival atmosphere. It's the type of thing you can imagine people who don't watch a lot of rugby watching. Although I don't see why anyone is going to back some team over another, and won't it mean that some teams don't get any supporters?

the hope is also that there will be so much money in it that star players can stay playing domestically in their home country, building more parity in the world game.

dreams are free

damn, looks like disrupting the rugby market is no longer on the table. RIP

Latest posts