• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New changes to Super Rugby - Bonus Points, TMO & Referee

I see nothing but crazy logic here. Man you europeans are crazy!

Im sorry but if a team is thumped like that their teams AND their supporters damn well deserve to go home totally dispondent. Anybody that thinks otherwise is just plain retarded imo.

Typical of some, and by no means all or even the majority, of the SH posters who resort to name calling if others' opinions does not suit them!

I think it is quite insulting to anyone to be called "retarded" especially as that word is not used nowadays because it is demeaning and unpleasant to those people with learning difficulties about whom it was previously used.

I would appeal to your better nature to chose your words more carefully but it would appear obvious that you do not have one nor the brains to determine what is right and wrong!

That being said, I do not agree with your point of view.........

The last time I checked, exclamation marks was used as a literary form of expressing shouting/screaming...

But don't worry your sweet little old head, this plan hasn't been approved or even finalised yet, so the possibility still exists that it might not change at all.
Exclamation marks in English are also indicative of surprise, emphasis, interest, significance or contrast. Online, shouting is generally associated more with Capitalization.
Hope this helps.

About the changes, my instinctive reaction was it'd encourage offense, but the more i think about it the less convinced i am.

It reminds me a lot when they introduced the away goal rule in football with the intention of encouraging offensive play and ended up doing the complete opposite.

Okay so it's official now:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/super-rugby-rule-changes-confirmed-20160202

As expected, the four-try bonus point rule no longer applies.

Instead, sides can secure a bonus point by scoring three or more tries than their opponents.

The losing bonus point rule remains unchanged, with sides who lose by seven points or fewer earning a single log point.

In addition, for the first time, sides will now be allowed to set up a lineout after the hooter has sounded.

Good to see the officials and Feds of the SH have adopted the excellent French system,of bonus points, frowned among by some of our SH forumers, but nevertheless an excellent system, which is not that stupid after all.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't like that idea. It definitely favours a running style of rugby but it cheapens an actual win. Also in South Africa we generally have some great tight battles which are interesting to watch even when the scores of both teams are less than 20. It seems unfair to have a team winning a gritty match like this getting no bonus point while a team that wins a blow out receiving two.

It also would skew views of which tables are more competitive as some groups may have a more competitive group while others may have two competitors with two or three or opponents that just don't pitch up all season.

No offense, but that attitude is exactly the reason why you've always been number 2 and slipping. That failure to fully embrace running rugby has stunted your development. To be apprehensive to break the conservative chains.

Personally I think it's nothing but detrimental to change the system for the Australian and Kiwi teams, it does add some incentive to keep defending until the final whistle, but that will cause more injuries when you've already won a game. Asking a team that's up 46 - 15 in the last 10, to go and absolutely kill themselves in defense so they still get the BP is just stupid and creates fatigue and injuries.

Last edited:
No offense, but that attitude is exactly the reason why you've always been number 2 and slipping. That failure to fully embrace running rugby has stunted your development. To be apprehensive to break the conservative chains.

Personally I think it's nothing but detrimental to change the system for the Australian and Kiwi teams, it does add some incentive to keep defending until the final whistle, but that will cause more injuries when you've already won a game. Asking a team that's up 46 - 15 in the last 10, to go and absolutely kill themselves in defense so they still get the BP is just stupid and creates fatigue and injuries.

I think you are missing my point there. I am not against running rugby and would love to see the South African teams adopt it more (and personally I believe that we will see that more in the year ahead). I believe the problem hasn't been with the players but the coaches set in their ways, but there has been a bit of a shake up in that regard and pre-season is so far looking good (albeit that not too much can be taken from pre-season matches).

My comment was also not against the 4 try bonus point, but the suggestion of having two bonus points for winning with 8 tries. Injuries are part of the game and I really don't see how keeping focused for the game is automatically going to result in more injures. You don't need to kill yourself in defence, you just need to defend, which you have been doing the rest of the game anyway. Also a team that is 46-15 is unlikely to be only up by three tries, but even if they were this new law would punish them for playing conservative penalty rugby instead of running rugby.

On the point again of blow outs and how they are undesirable for the sport in general, I think it is fair to say that the most disappointing world cup match from a neutrals perspective was the capitulation of France against New Zealand in the quarter finals. If any rule is going to add incentive to keep the game competitive for longer, I am all for it. But the real question is whether being able to prevent the opposing team from gaining a bonus point is going to motivate the losing team to keep going.

Well, one round gone and my initial thoughts on the new bonus points system are confirmed... it was a really dumb idea!

Hopefully, it will be dumped for next season and we'll go back to the way it should be.

Well, one round gone and my initial thoughts on the new bonus points system are confirmed... it was a really dumb idea!

Hopefully, it will be dumped for next season and we'll go back to the way it should be.

Agree completely, should never have been changed.

Another thing I wish would happen is touch judges getting more involved in scrum calls, so many times an elbow goes to the ground which the ref can't see and he gives the penalty to the wrong team, it has annoyed me for years, yet so easy to fix.

Latest posts