• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New concussion monitoring system

Looks good.

Has anyone else taken up the Saracens system of impact measurement takers taped behind the players' ears?

Interestingly at the cement plant where I had work experience this summer I saw a similar system in use on hard hats. I think the technology was initially introduced by the U.S. military to help treat IED casualties. The article I read on that described a crystal that becomes different colours when subject to differing levels of trauma.

Anyone know if this is the same system (or similar) to that used by Sarries?

About time too - and whilst it's bloody obvious in hindsight; it never occurred to me before.

As for the Sarries "system" - wasn't that for the purposes of research - and limited to 10 players at a time as they only had 10 devices. As far as I know it's electronic G-force sensors; and only looked at after the match.
I'm sure that once the research is in, and the figures analysed, and any links in causation / correlation established, then they'll become standard practice.

The NZRU started trialing this in the 2015 Super Rugby season

It seems to have been very effective in allowing sideline doctors to quickly pull suspected concussed players from the field.

Currently the Otago NPC team is also undergoing a concussion monitoring study. The players have monitors attached to their skulls (keen observers might have noticed small pieces of tape below and behind one ear on several of the players)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/otago-rugby-team/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503694&objectid=11700121

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently the Otago NPC team is also undergoing a concussion monitoring study. The players have monitors attached to their skulls (keen observers might have noticed small pieces of tape below and behind one ear on several of the players)]

That's the Sarries system we were talking about - Uni of Stellenbosch IIRC

Latest posts