Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
New domestic Rugby competition announced for 2014

"This new competition will be a tremendous opportunity for Rugby fans to support teams from across the country in a local competition" ARU CEO Bill Pulver

The ‪#‎ARU‬ today announced it will launch a new domestic Rugby competition in 2014, the National Rugby Championship (NRC), to excite fans and further enhance the pathway to develop elite players, coaches and match officials

http://www.rugby.com.au/ArticleDetails/tabid/1694/ArticleID/10650/Default.aspx

131210024825343547.jpg

Attempt 2, for the sake of Australian Rugby lets hope the ARU show more patience than with the original ARC (R.I.P Rams)

well this is promising news, I wonder what the Melbourne team will be called and where they will play. The original ARC team was the The Rebels but we got reincarnated into the Super Rugby team.

Depends if Melbourne even get a team (though most likely they will)

If going on strength then 4 Sydney, 3 Brisbane, Canberra, WA, Melbourne as a 10 team start up. With Adelaide, Newcastle, Geelong, Tassie etc etc in the growing fazes.

Hope they do this well. I'll make sure I get out and support it.

sounds good. Very good for Aussie Rugby, in regards to the relatively terrible year they've had this year.

Depends if Melbourne even get a team (though most likely they will)

If going on strength then 4 Sydney, 3 Brisbane, Canberra, WA, Melbourne as a 10 team start up. With Adelaide, Newcastle, Geelong, Tassie etc etc in the growing fazes.

The smart thing to do would be to make up a team of fringe super rugby (Rebels) players and add Rebel Rising/standout VRU Premier 1 players. the team could in fact be based in Geelong. Skilled stadium is now equipped with floodlights.
i'd make the trip down for a Saturday or Sunday, no way i'd go down after work on a Friday though. crazy traffic!!

what i'm hearing is that a team can put themselves forward. ie. sydney uni or sunnybank could seek admission into the comp. if there's a Melbourne team admitted from VRU, then i'd bet on Melbourne or Harlequins. they are fairly strong and have good facilities. Harlequins ground in holmsglen has hosted the Victorian Axemen against other states before, good parking, large clubhouse, floodlights etc.

Let's hope that they don't think they'll be making an immediate profit, and instead understand that providing the losses aren't catastrophic - it will benefit Australia.

I also wonder if it will halt the massive amount of poaching from the NPC, or if instead it will mean there are more positions that need to be filled and we'll see a lot of NZ talent recruited...really hoping it's not the latter. Also would like to know what television deals are being put in place. I don't think accepting pre-existing clubs would work, as I assume they are privately owned? Surely if ARU are paying out money for a domestic competition they would want full control. I would have thought the only way that they'd be able to achieve this is recruit from premier rugby as a seperate tier.

I also wonder how this will effect current ARU player salaries. They just made player pay-cuts, surely cutting their pay while potentially making them play more games will cause some strife? If it's like the ITM Cup then only current international players would be excluded from playing...

I read somewhere, and I can't remember where so If anyone else saw this too please say, that only one game a week will be televised live? If so I don't see how this will work. Just the travel costs alone for a tournament in a country as large as Australia will be vast.

I hope I'm wrong about this.

So without reading the article in its basic form this is the Aussie Version of the ITM and Currie Cups?

The tv deal is for 1 live game a week on fox. Pretty crap when even the bloody NBL gets 2 games a week on free to air. But one must start somewhere.

Regarding the clubs they are accepting requests from all current top level state clubs and also "united" bids. So basically Eastwood, West Harbour and Parra could form a team together and put in a bid or Eastwood could try to go it alone.

Thankfully it seems our current CEO is rather peeved that the old ARC was given any time by Johnny boy as he believes it could of grown (Would of been in its 6th year by now :( ) so I doubt he will pull the pin quick. He knows just like everyone else a national comp that is between state and SR is not only need but vital for the future of Rugby here.

The tv deal is for 1 live game a week on fox. Pretty crap when even the bloody NBL gets 2 games a week on free to air. But one must start somewhere.

Regarding the clubs they are accepting requests from all current top level state clubs and also "united" bids. So basically Eastwood, West Harbour and Parra could form a team together and put in a bid or Eastwood could try to go it alone.

Thankfully it seems our current CEO is rather peeved that the old ARC was given any time by Johnny boy as he believes it could of grown (Would of been in its 6th year by now :( ) so I doubt he will pull the pin quick. He knows just like everyone else a national comp that is between state and SR is not only need but vital for the future of Rugby here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earliest club applications are Norths Warringah and Manly have a combined bid, and University (sydney) have a sole application. Anyone have any news from other states?

Earliest club applications are Norths Warringah and Manly have a combined bid, and University (sydney) have a sole application. Anyone have any news from other states?

They have to start up a National Under 20 comp under the NRC to provide a clear player pathway from Under 15 and Under 17 through to Super Rugby. Hopefully then we can stop losing Juniors to other sports.

It will also help change the perception that the sport is elitist and inaccessible for the working class.

DEC 17, 2013
KEMU & BRENDAN RELISHING OPPORTUNITY

Kemu was born and raised in Melbourne, with Fijian heritage. His father Manu and uncle, Osea Koliloa, both made more than 100 first grade appearances for Quins, and Koliloa represented Fiji. With a professional Rugby team in his own state, Kemu now has the opportunity to try and do something his father and uncle didn't have the opportunity to do; play professional Rugby right here in Melbourne.

"It's great for Victorian kids to have the Rebels here. In the back of their head, they know that they don't necessarily have to move to Sydney or Brisbane. The Rebels give them the opportunity to stay here and play for their home Club, and that's what I want to do.

"For the time being, I'd most definitely love to play for a Victorian team if there was one entered in the National Rugby Championship; that's my main goal for the 2014 season. I'll be training hard over the Christmas

Brendan Westney has followed a very different path to Kemu, only picking up Rugby a few years ago after being a schoolboy football player like so many Victorians.

"I always had a desire to play Rugby, just from watching it on television," Westney says. "When I played football, I played a more defensive role and it was more focused on my tackling; I was sort of the team's big hitter. If my coach wanted somebody roughed up, or taken off their game mentally, I was given that job and it made me think I could use those skills in Rugby.

"As soon as I started playing, I loved it and I haven't looked back. There is no Rugby background in my family but we ended up getting Foxtel just so I could watch Rugby and that was how I also got my family into it. My two younger brothers have both converted to Rugby as well and we all love watching it

DEC 31, 2013
ROB CLARKE'S NEW YEARS INTERVIEW

Rebels' CEO talks pre-season, NRC and Melbourne city

Ahead of the Christmas break, RaboDirect Rebels Media staffer Pete Fairbairn caught up with Chief Executive Officer Rob Clarke to discuss how the Club are placed heading into the 2014 season.

PF: Finally, the National Rugby Championship has been announced by the Australian Rugby Union. Do you have an update for the Members regarding Victorian involvement in the competition?

RC: I have been appointed to the commission to oversee the implementation of the NRC, so I have been heavily involved behind the scenes. I think it is a wonderful reinstatement of the Australian Rugby Championship from 2007 that should, in my view, have never been disbanded.

Melbourne will have a very strong presence in the NRC. We've been in planning for this as a Club for a considerable period of time, and we are well down the path of knowing exactly how the team will be positioned and how it will be run with some support from the Rebels and also from the local Rugby community.

The Members have a lot to look forward to. We will use the Melbourne team to try and re-engage Rugby fans who have drifted away from the game for various reasons, and I would love to see more non-traditional Rugby fans coming to have a look at the game. The laws are going to be structured as such that it is a very open and free-flowing competition, and I would love to see more women attracted to come and have a look.

PF: Will you look at any regional involvement for the team, and will it be called the Melbourne Rebels?

RC: The team won't be called the Melbourne Rebels. The team will be linked to the Rebels due to the geographic location, but it will be positioned as the pinnacle of the community game. Yes, it will have contracted Rebels playing in it, but most importantly it will have the best of aspirational local Club Rugby players involved. It will serve a really good purpose in terms of bridging the gap between Super Rugby and Club Rugby here in Victoria.

We're looking at where we might play these games, and there is the opportunity to possibly play some games in regional Victoria. If it makes sense to do so, then we would love to do that, and try and take Rugby outside of some of the traditional geographic locations.

The ARU's announcement of a third tier competition to commence in 2014 is a real positive for Australian rugby. I am going to attend as many matches as I can and watch every televised match.

In order to develop more depth in the professional levels of Australian rugby we need as many players as possible competing in more highly competitive matches.

The NRC will allow us to test the best amateur players among professional players.

I hope the competition is a great success, as we need it to be a permanent part of the rugby landscape.

However, there is so much detail for the ARU and Bill Pulver to sort out and there is not a lot of time in which to complete that work to avoid disorganisation in the first year of the competition.

The earlier it is determined how many teams will participate and which teams will participate, the earlier a draw can be finalised. Each team will need as much time as possible to organise coaches, their playing roster and approach sponsors etc.

The two questions surrounding a third tier competition have always been; which teams should participate and how can the costs be covered?

Which teams should participate?
No matter the answer to this question, not everyone will be happy. We all have our own ideas on who the participants should be – existing clubs, geographically based teams or the second XV from each Australian Super Rugby franchise.

The ARU have decided to allow for any of those options and other possibilities by opening up applications to any party and then selecting participants based on capabilities judged against a range of criteria.

That also means any club in Australia has the opportunity to participate in the competition, if they meet the criteria.

The ARU have got it right with this approach. They are determined to establish a national competition so have made it clear at least one team from Canberra, Melbourne and Perth must be included.

They have also acknowledged Sydney and Brisbane need more than one team, given those two competitions produce the majority of professional players in Australia, but the model also allows for teams from other locations to participate such as Adelaide, Newcastle or country teams if they can meet the criteria.

The ARU know the success of this competition in the future relies on the teams participating being viable. There is no point in cobbling together teams together to participate that may not survive in the long term.

I suspect the ARU will use a cascading selection system based on who applies and how well they meet the criteria, with preferences along the following lines to get a minimum of eight viable teams (although the ARU has made it clear they are open to up to ten teams in the competition if they are all viable):

Priority one – three joint venture teams in Sydney; two joint venture teams in Brisbane; and one joint venture team in each of Canberra, Melbourne and Perth – a minimum of eight teams.
Priority two – two additional joint venture teams regardless of location.

Priority three – existing clubs entering stand alone teams if not enough teams in the first two categories meet the criteria.
Priority four – teams entered by Super Rugby franchises if there are any spots remaining.

As an example of what I mean by a cascading system, if there are no joint venture teams that apply from Perth that meet the criteria, the ARU would then consider an application from a standalone club in Perth if they meet the criteria and if there were no other teams from Perth that meet the criteria, they would consider a team entered by the Force.

In this way clubs can decide who participates. If enough clubs get together to form viable joint venture teams those teams would be the participants in the competition.

If clubs don't want to join together or can't put together enough viable joint venture teams then they can hardly complain if any existing club fills any remaining spot in their own right by meeting the criteria and demonstrating they are a viable option.

That would mean if only two joint ventures are formed in Sydney that meet the criteria, an existing club such as Sydney University may be the next team selected if they meet the criteria.

I see no reason not to allow a standalone club to participate in those circumstances. Every club has the same opportunity – it's up to each club to determine their own destiny.

We need strong, viable teams in this competition – not teams cobbled together that may not survive.

What do I mean by viable?

At the end of the day it means economically viable.

All the other criteria are important but each team must show they are economically viable and can fund their ongoing participation in the competition.

The ARU have done a great job to get Foxtel to pay for television rights for the competition.

While it would be good for there to be some free-to-air exposure for the competition, if the ARU insisted on free-to-air coverage and the free-to-air networks were not prepared to pay for the rights, the competition wouldn't be able to proceed at all.

This fact demonstrates the cold hard reality of this competition – the ARU can't afford to fund it so without the broadcasting revenue and viable teams that can fund their portion of the costs, the competition may not get off the ground and if it does, may not survive – just like the previous ARC.

What are the costs for each team?
The ARU have said they will use the broadcast revenue and expected sponsorship revenue to cover the costs of travel and accommodation for teams, referees and the costs of administering the competition.

The teams that participate will have to fund the costs of players, provision of grounds, coaches and other staff.

This is to be a professional competition so all players will be paid – the ARU and RUPA are still negotiating the minimum level of payment for players.

All the other criteria are important but each team must show they are economically viable and can fund their ongoing participation in the competition.

The ARU have done a great job to get Foxtel to pay for television rights for the competition.

While it would be good for there to be some free-to-air exposure for the competition, if the ARU insisted on free-to-air coverage and the free-to-air networks were not prepared to pay for the rights, the competition wouldn't be able to proceed at all.

This fact demonstrates the cold hard reality of this competition – the ARU can't afford to fund it so without the broadcasting revenue and viable teams that can fund their portion of the costs, the competition may not get off the ground and if it does, may not survive – just like the previous ARC.

The ARU have said they will use the broadcast revenue and expected sponsorship revenue to cover the costs of travel and accommodation for teams, referees and the costs of administering the competition.

The teams that participate will have to fund the costs of players, provision of grounds, coaches and other staff.

This is to be a professional competition so all players will be paid – the ARU and RUPA are still negotiating the minimum level of payment for players.

Details such as whether the minimum level of payment will be different for players contracted by a Super Rugby franchise and uncontracted players and whether there is to be a salary cap for teams or not are still to be announced.

Until all the details are announced by the ARU we won't know for sure the level of costs each team will have to fund. However, most people I've spoken to are working on expectations of around $400,000 per season.

How can any team fund these costs?
This is the key question for any team wanting to participate in the competition.

The revenue for each team will come from gate receipts, sponsorship, merchandise sales and memberships.

There are very few clubs that have existing grounds that can host reasonable sized crowds and are suitable for television coverage so the arrangements each team has to make for a suitable ground will have a big bearing on costs.

The costs of staffing the ground will also have a big impact on revenue. If the ground owner has to cover those costs, the team may have to pay a share of ticket revenue to the owner and may not earn a share of revenue from the sale of food and beverages.

If there are eight teams in the competition each team will play a minimum of seven matches – a minimum of three at their home ground and possibly four.

Only if a team makes the finals can they rely on any revenue from extra matches, so their budget will have to be based on three or four home matches per season.

If there are ten teams in the competition each team would be able to budget on a minimum of four home matches per season.

Who knows what size crowds will come to watch the matches but achieving crowds of 5,000 for each of four home matches at an average ticket price of $15 would produce $300,000 per season in revenue.

Kids under 15 would probably gain free admittance and be in addition to those crowd numbers. Are those achievable numbers? I suspect they may be optimistic.

I'm uncertain what teams could achieve in merchandise sales to supporters or from the sale of season memberships so I'm not even going to try and put an estimate on those.

What could each team generate in sponsorship and what could a team offer sponsors?
Clubs may claim they can offer sponsors exposure to crowds of 5,000 and by extension, let's say 10,000 supporters.

With eight teams in the competition each team should feature in at least one televised match per season but may expect two televised matches per season.

That depends on who is selecting the matches to be telecast – Fox will naturally want to televise the teams performing best more often.

It will be hard to estimate viewer numbers and it may be hard to show sponsors value for their money, particularly in the first year with so many unknowns.

If you accept $300,000 in revenue can be raised from gate receipts, each team would need to raise $100,000 from sale of merchandise, sale of memberships and sponsorship.

That sounds like a big ask to me so teams may be talking to benefactors as well as sponsors.

Teams that make the finals could obviously generate additional revenue and may even be able to operate profitably but that's not an assumption to base a budget on.

Any club or group of clubs serious about participating in the competition in 2014 will have to take a bit of a leap of faith to underwrite the costs of participation if the levels of revenue I've discussed can't be achieved.

Hopefully the costs of a team participating in the NRC can be contained to around $300,000 per season, which would make the revenue equation a little more palatable.

Disclaimer: I am a coach at University of Queensland but am not, and have not been, involved in any discussions regarding the club's interest in participating in the competition or not.

The views expressed in this article are my personal views only and I have not discussed the contents with any member of the club.

Scott Allen has been writing in depth analysis and opinion pieces on the game since 2009. He is an experienced coach who coaches Premier Grade with University of Queensland. You can follow him on Twitter

Super RugbyFixturesWallabiesLions TourRugby ChampionshipInternationalRugby RSSWill the ARU get the national comp right eventually? Roar Guru By sheek, 7 Jan 2014 sheek is a Roar Guru

Tagged: Bill Pulver, NRC, Rugby Union
121 Have your say
Email . + enlarge image Ewen McKenzie (right) with Australian Rugby Union CEO Bill Pulver. (AAP Image/Dean Lewins)

Related coverage
Rugby Union news
"I think this competition will be in place forever. I see this as an important step in the development pathway for Australian rugby.

"I think we will be looking back in 20 years and really acknowledging what a pivotal moment this was in Australian rugby."

When ARU chief executive Bill Pulver made this bullish claim – that the new NRC will last forever – he was setting himself up for an almighty fall.

Much like ex-PM Bob Hawke's famous line "no Australian child will be living in poverty by 1990″.

Really?

Or if we go back earlier to last century, when US President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed that the Great War of 1914-18 was "the war to end all wars".

All cute lines but ultimately meaningless unless backed up by committed intent.

Hello everyone, no doubt you've heard the same message from me in 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007 when The Roar kicked off.

But lucky you, you now get the opportunity to hear his same message from me in 2014. My first rugby dispatch of 2014!

Almost everyone agrees a national comp is essential. Almost everyone agrees the 2007 ARC model was a great concept but poorly implemented.

Broken in the end by ill-conceived compromise and bitter self-interest. Not to mention an impractical financial model.

There is tremendous excitement, naturally, about this new comp. However, those of us who have been around a long time know how easily a good idea can quickly turn to dust.

The American rock band The Eagles even penned a song about human nature's corrosive ability to destroy anything good, in their haunting ballad 'The Last Resort' – "call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye".

The more discerning among us wait, and watch.

So far so good.

Pay TV operator Fox Sports and parent Foxtel have come on-board to bankroll the new comp, injecting much needed cash into the ARU's coffers. They will also televise the new comp, of course. It will be restricted, one game per week initially, plus all the finals.

But that's better than the 2007 deal whereby the ARU paid the ABC to televise the ARC. However, no free-to-air TV
coverage is still a concern.

But remember, it's baby steps. Once again, it's all about baby steps.

The new NRC is intended to provide better incentives and progression pathways for our aspiring rugby players.

It is also hoped to act as a strong finishing school for those looking to take the next step towards Super Rugby and international stardom.

Pulver wants the NRC to become Australian rugby's answer to South Africa's Currie Cup and NZ's ITM Cup (NPC).

But it won't amount to much if the ARU don't get the teams, symbols and their locations right.

That's worth repeating – it won't amount to much if the ARU don't get the teams, symbols and their locations right.

Cricket's Sheffield Shield is just about the only major national comp I know of that survives without turning a profit, or attracting fans through the turnstiles, or watching on TV.

Fans of the Sheffield Shield are passive and invisible. They will follow matches through the newspapers or internet, but they're not out there shouting their support from the rafters.

It might work for cricket, although the future of the Shield is uncertain, and in any case is bankrolled by other formats.

Rugby enjoys no such diversity. Our sevens program is a long way from bankrolling other formats.

If the ARU fails to engage the fans with the choice and location of the new teams, then the concept will collapse after a few years. Of that much I am certain.

Again, the ARU appear to be making the right noises. It is looking at an eight to 10 team comp comprising regional teams.

That word 'regional' originally had everyone confused, but it seems regional means greater than a district, or premier rugby club.

In the ARU's Q and A with Ben Whitaker, his standard response to about three or four questions was: "The teams will be decided by a tender process (expression of interest) that is open to existing clubs and groups and new syndicates and partnerships. All will be strongly considered."

The ARU is being deliberately elusive and non-committal. Everyone can apply for membership, but as we get closer to time, hard-nosed decisions will need to be made.

In the meantime, I suspect the ARU will monitor public media outlets to see where and how the breeze of opinion is blowing.

I am now offering my 10 team NRC model, basing my teams on the ARU's broad vision. I am also relying heavily on history and tradition.

The ARU has said they will look at interest from Adelaide.

An Adelaide team is possible for several reasons. Firstly, the comp is being bankrolled by Fox Sports and secondly, with the premier rugby comps completed, recruitment of players won't impact on these comps.

Adelaide is Australia's fifth largest city. Now is the time to penetrate the capital of South Australia. My 10 team NRC:

1. Adelaide Falcons
Catchment area all of SA. The Black Falcons is the current name of the rep team. Play in red jerseys, navy shorts and gold piping (state colours).

2. Brisbane Griffins
Catchment area north and west suburbs of Brisbane. A pair of griffins hold up the shield on the city coat of arms (check it out)!

Play in perhaps maroon (state colour), although old city colours were red and white (for sporting teams).

3. Canberra Kookaburras
Catchment area all of ACT and Southern Inland NSW. The Kookaburras was the former rep team name before the Brumbies.

Playing in a mix of blue, gold (territory colours), black and white (swans on coat of arms depicting Aborigines and Europeans), featured in a stylish design from the mid-90s in Shute Shield.

4. Melbourne Axemen
Catchment area all of Victoria. The Axemen was the rep team name in the ARS. Play in navy and white hoops (state colours).

5. Newcastle Wildfires
Catchment area perhaps all of Northern NSW. The Wildfires was former team name in mid-90s Shute Shield.

The Wildfire is a red flowering gum that grows down the entire east and south of Australia. Play in now established blue and red (Newcastle-Hunter).

6. North Harbour Platters
Catchment area all of Northern Beaches and North Shore suburbs of Sydney. The Platypus is the state animal (mammal), who thrives on both land and waterways, thus being an ideal mascot for the region.

Playing uniform – open to suggestions. Perhaps green (for hinterland) and navy (for water).

7. Perth Spirit
Catchment area all of WA. The Spirit was the rep name of the team in the ARC.

The spirit is meant to convey connections with the Aboriginal dreamtime and vastness of the land. Play in yellow and black hoops (state colours).

8. South Brisbane Emus
Catchment area south and east suburbs of Brisbane. Suggested Emus because it is the national bird and gets little love. But it's a pesky critter when annoyed.

Playing uniform – open to suggestions. The rugby league ex-SQ Crushers played in gold, navy and red.

9. Sydney Fleet
Catchment area all of east and south suburbs of Sydney. The Fleet connects with the past history of the country, the arrival of the First Fleet and name of the team in the ARC.

Play in blue and gold (colours of the City of Sydney Council).

10. West Sydney Rams
Catchment are all of Greater West of Sydney. The Rams also connects with the former colony's first industry and name of the team in the ARC.

Play in orange, grey and black as also worn by GWS Giants.

Well, there you have it, If the ARU follows my blueprint, then I reckon Pulver's boast of the NRC lasting forever might come true

FOUNDATION REBEL POSITIVE ABOUT CLUB'S DIRECTION

Foundation RaboDirect Rebel Lachlan Mitchell is well placed to notice any changes around the Club. Heading into his fourth pre-season, and under his third different Rebels Head Coach, Mitchell concedes it has been his hardest pre-season yet; but he's not complaining.

Mitchell played in the 2007 Australian Rugby Championship for the West Sydney Rams, and he is excited to see the concept return in the guise of the 2014 National Rugby Championship.

"The National Rugby Championship is something Australian Rugby definitely needed," Mitchell says. "It is only going to improve the standard and bring new guys through, and it will also show off the ability of some of the really good locals that are coming through. There are some big local talents that the Melbourne public won't get a chance to see in Super Rugby this year, but hopefully they get to see them in the NRC."

Latest posts