• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New editor progress report

I

Inertia

Since I am only working on it an hour every day or two the progress is reasonable but the core has come on quite quickly.

The application hosts multiple windows for players and teams allowing you to open as many as you want to compare and drag drop between them. The player positions in the teams are drag-dropped to move them around into new positions. The player in the tree will also expand into sections to edit their stats and select their kicking positions etc. This will allow quick editing of the players in the team. There will also be a player edit window allowing further editing of stats not related to performance in the team.

The program imports the data into a local database file for now but will be easy enough to modify to connect to the central server on my dedicated server. of course, necessary checks and login boxes will need to be created to ensure that the database doesn't get ruined from more than once person working on it at the same time.

The advantages of the internal database are enormous. You only need to write queries to make selections and update your information, so there is no need to code loops and program logic to get what you want. The SQL window allows a user to run any kind of query on the database to list things. e.g. find the fastest irish fullback or the quickest forwards etc etc.

Very interesting indeed, keep up the good work! Is it C# or VB.NET? It isn't a big difference in the end, just being curious.

By the way, do you have planned to provide other features besides roster editing?? I mean stuff like profile editing or anything that could be changed more or less on the fly.

Very interesting indeed, keep up the good work! Is it C# or VB.NET? It isn't a big difference in the end, just being curious.

By the way, do you have planned to provide other features besides roster editing?? I mean stuff like profile editing or anything that could be changed more or less on the fly. [/b]

Cheers, it's in vb.net.

At the moment I need to get it doing what the other editor is able to do so just the rosters for now. The purpose isn't to get just another editor roster out there but to set a new standard for the code base that will allow for more complex and interesting ideas in the future. The other editor is all very manual and hard coded so it will become more challenging and more complex to continually upgrade the editor in the future. Also, it will make it easier to upgrade the new editor for future version of rugby providing they don't change the data too much. I am trying to make the core as modular as possible so it means me and woosaah can work on new features independently of each other.

My time is extremely limited so i am trying to keep away from figuring out the hex and what not.

Since the program currently runs from an internal database it will be easy to make it work online so that a selected few can log in to a central database and make changes to it and people can retrieve this database and put it into their game. It means we can always have some form of consistency and constantly upgraded rosters rather than people releasing different versions of complete rosters that will have major differences between them.

At the moment I need to get it doing what the other editor is able to do so just the rosters for now. The purpose isn't to get just another editor roster out there but to set a new standard for the code base that will allow for more complex and interesting ideas in the future. The other editor is all very manual and hard coded so it will become more challenging and more complex to continually upgrade the editor in the future. Also, it will make it easier to upgrade the new editor for future version of rugby providing they don't change the data too much. I am trying to make the core as modular as possible so it means me and woosaah can work on new features independently of each other.[/b]

OK, it seems to be a project that will survive in time :) If you need some help I can give you a hand, not really in coding because I'm into other languages (assembly, C and C++) but maybe reversing some game stuff.

My time is extremely limited so i am trying to keep away from figuring out the hex and what not.[/b]

OK, I'll give a try to the profile file then. I was able to edit the 06 one and have all trophies in my cabinet, so I guess it will be possible to do the same with the 08 and also edit the challenge mode results.

Since the program currently runs from an internal database it will be easy to make it work online so that a selected few can log in to a central database and make changes to it and people can retrieve this database and put it into their game. It means we can always have some form of consistency and constantly upgraded rosters rather than people releasing different versions of complete rosters that will have major differences between them.[/b]

Been able to share the database (in any way ;) ) is very useful :cheers:

<div class='quotemain'>At the moment I need to get it doing what the other editor is able to do so just the rosters for now. The purpose isn't to get just another editor roster out there but to set a new standard for the code base that will allow for more complex and interesting ideas in the future. The other editor is all very manual and hard coded so it will become more challenging and more complex to continually upgrade the editor in the future. Also, it will make it easier to upgrade the new editor for future version of rugby providing they don't change the data too much. I am trying to make the core as modular as possible so it means me and woosaah can work on new features independently of each other.[/b]

OK, it seems to be a project that will survive in time :) If you need some help I can give you a hand, not really in coding because I'm into other languages (assembly, C and C++) but maybe reversing some game stuff.

My time is extremely limited so i am trying to keep away from figuring out the hex and what not.[/b]

OK, I'll give a try to the profile file then. I was able to edit the 06 one and have all trophies in my cabinet, so I guess it will be possible to do the same with the 08 and also edit the challenge mode results.

Since the program currently runs from an internal database it will be easy to make it work online so that a selected few can log in to a central database and make changes to it and people can retrieve this database and put it into their game. It means we can always have some form of consistency and constantly upgraded rosters rather than people releasing different versions of complete rosters that will have major differences between them.[/b]

Been able to share the database (in any way ;) ) is very useful :cheers: [/b][/quote]

Yeah great, any form of help with the game files is appreciated.

One area that might be interesting is getting the expansion of new players and teams. In the old RL games it was fairly easy to create new teams and players by fixing the data counters and making sure the jersey and logos were selected. Not sure how that transpires in R8 but it already has a lot more international teams and players anyway so maybe it's not quite as important as it was for RL. It's also interestesting to make variations on current teams, like A & B sides, junior all blacks, etc etc.

It's also interestesting to make variations on current teams, like A & B sides, junior all blacks, etc etc.
[/b]

well you can replace players in those teams with the original game. if evol wants to create some kits like he did for 06 we could have some all star teams (he created the tri nation all star). at the moment i have tri nation, 6nation and world all star but still with the bad shirts ... nice playing with them

Since I am only working on it an hour every day or two the progress is reasonable but the core has come on quite quickly.

The application hosts multiple windows for players and teams allowing you to open as many as you want to compare and drag drop between them. The player positions in the teams are drag-dropped to move them around into new positions. The player in the tree will also expand into sections to edit their stats and select their kicking positions etc. This will allow quick editing of the players in the team. There will also be a player edit window allowing further editing of stats not related to performance in the team.

The program imports the data into a local database file for now but will be easy enough to modify to connect to the central server on my dedicated server. of course, necessary checks and login boxes will need to be created to ensure that the database doesn't get ruined from more than once person working on it at the same time.

The advantages of the internal database are enormous. You only need to write queries to make selections and update your information, so there is no need to code loops and program logic to get what you want. The SQL window allows a user to run any kind of query on the database to list things. e.g. find the fastest irish fullback or the quickest forwards etc etc.
[/b]

I'm familier with C# and VB.net. If you want some help and can specify what needs doing I'm happy to assist. At work I often get involved in user interfaces if that'll help you make it look more professional and user friendly.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I'm familier with C# and VB.net. If you want some help and can specify what needs doing I'm happy to assist. At work I often get involved in user interfaces if that'll help you make it look more professional and user friendly. [/b][/quote]

cheers, will definetly keep that in mind :)

Hi Inertia,

Got you RL2 editor by the way :bana:

Just wonderin with this editor, will you be able to change team names??

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Inertia,

Got you RL2 editor by the way :bana:

Just wonderin with this editor, will you be able to change team names??

Cheers

Jeff

[/b]

Not sure on that yet. At the moment I am just concentrating on getting it up to speed with woossah's editor and will worry about further editing developments nearer the time. It seems quite difficult to change these things (from what i hear) but if it can be done it will be added.

NOt done a lot to be honest. I've got the stats in the team incrementing and decrementing using the arrow keys and the shift button. It allows you to increase/decrease by 1 or 10 depending on the combinations used, so really fast and easy editing.

I've had zero time to work on it though and I've been getting a lot headaches and strained eyes lately cos I spend 9 hours a day programming at my job too :/

Latest posts