• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New role won't change Burger

B

Bullitt

Stormers captain Schalk Burger has insisted he will not change his all-action style of play having been named captain for this year's Super 14.

The Springbok flanker will be leading the Cape Town franchise following the departure of both Luke Watson and Jean de Villiers, who recently moved to Bath and Munster respectively.

But with the 'added responsibility' of attempting to lift the Stormers from near the basement into play-off contention this term, Burger believes it would be wrong to adopt a calmer approach to playing.

"My style of captaincy is to lead by example," he said, speaking to the Cape Times.

"I'll be playing the way I have always played and will not change. But obviously with the captaincy comes an added responsibility, it will be foolish not to think so."

Hopes are high at the Stomers this season thanks to the high-profile signings of international backs Bryan Habana and Jaque Fourie.

The side are also able to call upon a decent Currie Cup campaign where Joe Pietersen's stock soared at full-back. Yet coach Allister Coetzee believes that keeping his players grounded will be one of his main jobs in 2010.

"It's not only a big season for us, but also for every other Super 14 franchise as well. We don't want to talk too much too soon," he said.

"We first want to get the first couple of games under the belt and then we can see what we need to do to be successful and take it from there.

"We have been putting in some hard work and getting all the structures in place."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3...5851385,00.html

Latest posts