• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New to playing number 8. Any tips?? Cheers.

bombercommand1

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Cardiff
Hi guys, as well as being new to the forum, i'm new to playing number 8 (one training session).
Perviously, I had been a fat bugger (played as prop) and recently i've lost a lot of weight and gained height and muscle so my coach decided to put me at 8. I do know what to do as number 8, I was just hoping some of you guys could help me out and give me some tips. :)

Cheers, well appreciated. :D

Get yourself all over the park make **** loads of tackles , get the ball in hand and gain the hard yards when your team need it , act as a link man too if needs be , run trail lines behind the backline , look for inside balls all day also practice controlling the ball at the back of the scrum(very important)

most important thing for an 8 in my estimation is the ability to read the game and know where you are needed , that however will only come with experience best of luck :)

Get yourself all over the park make **** loads of tackles , get the ball in hand and gain the hard yards when your team need it , act as a link man too if needs be , run trail lines behind the backline , look for inside balls all day also practice controlling the ball at the back of the scrum(very important)

most important thing for an 8 in my estimation is the ability to read the game and know where you are needed , that however will only come with experience best of luck :)
This, but also work on pick ups from the scrum.

Hah, from what I've seen that's just everything a good player should try and do full stop. If you've just moved my recommendation is just to realize that you have to up your work rate significantly. As no. 8 you might not have to make quite so many tackles as your flankers but you do need to be at just about every ruck at first phase.

Luckily if your coach has moved you there it means he thinks you can ball carry so like the guys above said work on your pick ups (I'm terrible at this but when you pick up you really have to work on straightening your line rather than running around the flanker) and your insider running lines. Off 10 and 12 tend to be the places to stay but keep yourself out of the passing lines!

Hope this is helpful.

Write "work rate" on the back of your hand before the game ..if you notice whilst you are playing the match you aren't working hard enough and you better get moving.

Write "work rate" on the back of your hand before the game ..if you notice whilst you are playing the match you aren't working hard enough and you better get moving.

I'm not sure why but this made me laugh unbelievably hard. It's true though, especially moving from the front row (notoriously least fit) to back row (supposedly fittest). You should be pretty knackered by the end of every match. Aim to make it to at least one in every two rucks and you'll probably be getting the balance of running/rucking about right.

Latest posts